CrazyBoards.org

Generic Ambien SUCKS ASS

First, let me say that I've only had the priviledge to take Ambien (10mg) twice in my life prior to getting a prescription from my pdoc 3 days ago. I've had such problems falling asleep for most of my life, and had a great two experiences when I did take Ambien so needless to say I was overjoyed and very much looking forward to a normal night in bed!

So, I take my 10mg and wait. And wait some more. After about half an hour, I got a bit clumsy and mildly groggy...but nowhere NEAR the point the brand name brought me to the two times i'd taken it in the past. ;) When I took those, my vision would literally go sideways and I'd be so "high" that I couldn't stand up if I tried. Luckily I was in bed both times, and fell asleep before I could even reach over and turn the night table lamp off!

I gave the generic the benefit of the doubt, and tried again the second night. Even worse. I didn't get clumsy, or even groggy. It didn't do ANYTHING AT ALL. I tossed and turned in bed for over an hour, getting ever more frustrated. I got up and took another one.... yeah, I know, not supposed to do that. But, fuck! Years of onset insomnia and I FINALLY get a drug to help... I WANT TO FALL ASLEEP LIKE A NORMAL PERSON FOR ONCE! :) Called my pdoc today to tell her what's what, and hopefully my insurance will pay for another script of the brand name stuff.

I'm just putting this out there as a warning...if you must get generic, do NOT get Teva. Even though the generic is extremely new, a short Google search returned a couple of forums full of people bitching about Teva's generic. It's utter crap. Beware, or get the brand! :cussing:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are something like 13 generic manufacturers that were approved by the FDA a couple months ago. If Teva's doesnt' work for you, it may be worthwhile checking out the other pharmacies in your area to see what brand they carry. The cost differential is huge between generic and name brand so keeping your pocket book happy is possible too.

good luck. a.m.

First, let me say that I've only had the priviledge to take Ambien (10mg) twice in my life prior to getting a prescription from my pdoc 3 days ago. I've had such problems falling asleep for most of my life, and had a great two experiences when I did take Ambien so needless to say I was overjoyed and very much looking forward to a normal night in bed!

So, I take my 10mg and wait. And wait some more. After about half an hour, I got a bit clumsy and mildly groggy...but nowhere NEAR the point the brand name brought me to the two times i'd taken it in the past. ;) When I took those, my vision would literally go sideways and I'd be so "high" that I couldn't stand up if I tried. Luckily I was in bed both times, and fell asleep before I could even reach over and turn the night table lamp off!

I gave the generic the benefit of the doubt, and tried again the second night. Even worse. I didn't get clumsy, or even groggy. It didn't do ANYTHING AT ALL. I tossed and turned in bed for over an hour, getting ever more frustrated. I got up and took another one.... yeah, I know, not supposed to do that. But, fuck! Years of onset insomnia and I FINALLY get a drug to help... I WANT TO FALL ASLEEP LIKE A NORMAL PERSON FOR ONCE! :) Called my pdoc today to tell her what's what, and hopefully my insurance will pay for another script of the brand name stuff.

I'm just putting this out there as a warning...if you must get generic, do NOT get Teva. Even though the generic is extremely new, a short Google search returned a couple of forums full of people bitching about Teva's generic. It's utter crap. Beware, or get the brand! :cussing:

Amen sista!!!!!! You took the words right out of mt mouth. I see my doc on monday. I want my old ambien back.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sleepyhead

Amen sista!!!!!! You took the words right out of mt mouth. I see my doc on monday. I want my old ambien back.

I haven't tried generic Ambien yet, but I have had problems with 2 other TEVA generics. I've always believed generics were equivalent to name brand until recently, and did not have any problems with "Equate" or similar OTCs like acetaminophen, ibuprofen etc. However, when Target switched to TEVA for their generic Allegra (fexofenadine), my allergies were as bad as if I had taken no antihistamines at all. I had to chenge to a different pharmacy that still stocked Dr. Reddy's generic allegra, which seems to be working fine for me. I also had problems with my generic Neurontin (gabapentin), when I had it filled at Target. It didn't seem to be working at all, compared to my previous generic filled elsewhere, and after looking at the bottle, I saw that it was also a TEVA product. Now I get that filled elsewhere, which is a shame, because I actually really like my local Target pharmacy and think they are the best place in town (minus the Teva cr*p)!

I haven't tried generic Ambien yet, but I have had problems with 2 other TEVA generics. I've always believed generics were equivalent to name brand until recently, and did not have any problems with "Equate" or similar OTCs like acetaminophen, ibuprofen etc. However, when Target switched to TEVA for their generic Allegra (fexofenadine), my allergies were as bad as if I had taken no antihistamines at all. I had to chenge to a different pharmacy that still stocked Dr. Reddy's generic allegra, which seems to be working fine for me. I also had problems with my generic Neurontin (gabapentin), when I had it filled at Target. It didn't seem to be working at all, compared to my previous generic filled elsewhere, and after looking at the bottle, I saw that it was also a TEVA product. Now I get that filled elsewhere, which is a shame, because I actually really like my local Target pharmacy and think they are the best place in town (minus the Teva cr*p)!

I got my ambien back......whoo hoo!!!!!

I got my ambien back......whoo hoo!!!!!

Hmmm...yep. My insurance co finally approved to pay for another script requestnig Ambien brand name only. Previously, they declined; stating that I was attempting to refill "too quickly". My pdoc went to bat for me and wrote up something about it being medically necessary, because I "failed the trial of Ambien generic, Zolpidem". Which is basically true, since it made my face look swollen for an entire day after taking it. Not to mention the whole IT DOESN'T KNOCK ME OUT FOR HOURS thing. Even while laying in bed, surrounded by my most comfortable pillows!

Took my first brand name dose about 30 minutes ago, and felt it kick in some 15 minutes or so later. I started yawning like crazy, so I ran around finalizing my bedtime ritual. Even though I'm technically in a chair at a desk and typing to you right now, I'm pretty sure about 60% of me is asleep already. ;) The non-formulary brand copay was worth it. Good night!

Edited by tek

Are you guys taking it on an empty stomach? That's pretty important...even says it on the patient info sheet. They've done studies and all that. Generic would knock me out in about an hour if I took it on a very empty stomach. Any food at all, and it would be HOURS. Name brand turns me into a clumsy mess within 15 minutes and knocks me out as soon as I lay down even if I've just eaten.

Edited by tek

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Arizona Tom

Sometimes the brand name really does make all the difference, some times not, YMMV...

This is such an interesting board. I have tried generic Ambien for about 5 days and would have done just as well with as sugar pill. Reddy is the brand I have at the moment. Perhaps I should investigate the name brand even though my insurance copay will be higher.

Note that I have not taken the generic on an empty stomach as I am a late eater--yes, a bad habit.

Tom in AZ

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sometimes the brand name really does make all the difference, some times not, YMMV...

This is such an interesting board. I have tried generic Ambien for about 5 days and would have done just as well with as sugar pill. Reddy is the brand I have at the moment. Perhaps I should investigate the name brand even though my insurance copay will be higher.

Note that I have not taken the generic on an empty stomach as I am a late eater--yes, a bad habit.

Tom in AZ

I am on the Dr Reddy brand and enjoy it. I have been on Ambien and off it, for many years...look at my nick on here! So if you go into it with the attitude that this is not the real thing or something, you will have a bad placebo effect. Mind over matter folks!

For what it's worth, I've been on Ambien for a few years now. And when it went generic (zolpidem), so did I. I noticed absolutely no difference. It may take an hour or more to kick in, but it does kick in.

Just goes to prove that meds work differently from person to person. I'm not discounting the experiences noted by anyone else in this thread, I'm only saying that just because someone has a particular experience with a med (good or bad), it does not mean that YOU will have that same experience.

• 7 months later...

mellow.gif

For what it's worth, I've been on Ambien for a few years now. And when it went generic (zolpidem), so did I. I noticed absolutely no difference. It may take an hour or more to kick in, but it does kick in.

Just goes to prove that meds work differently from person to person. I'm not discounting the experiences noted by anyone else in this thread, I'm only saying that just because someone has a particular experience with a med (good or bad), it does not mean that YOU will have that same experience.

I find this whole discussion about Generic Ambien (Zolpidem) very interesting. I have been on Ambien 10 mg. continuously since late 2000, thus that is 9 yrs of use. Prior to April 2007, I only used Sanofi-Aventis Brand, until the generic became available. I like the med in general, but sometimes, would abstain for about 3 to 5 days, maybe a stretch 7 days, when I felt "tolerance building" or rather its didn't seem to work as well, usually after 3 or 4 months of nightly use.

The robust response always returned on the brand name product. It got so very expensive over time, I was delighted it finally was offered generic. Geez! has it been a disappointment for me, trying to find a generic that works as well as the brand. I first tried Teva, like others have noted, it was like a sugar pill to me...nothing. I ask my pharmacist for a alternative mfg of zolpidem, more disappointments, "Mylan" "Ranbaxy" "Torrent" were at best only about 1/2 strength. I ran thru the bottle of meds due to taking 2 tabs to get the effect I was accustomed to with Sanofi brand Ambien. I even abstained for a week, several times, still no difference! I later tried "Apotex" which was a improvement for me, over the others, but still, was "below strength for me". I am accustomed to that warm fuzzy feeling within 20 minutes or so, and it still felt watered down. Finally, I discovered Zolpidem 10mg. by Curaco!!! (white oval shaped with 516 embossed on pill) That worked for me as good as the original Sanofi Ambien!! After 12 to 15 months using "Curaco Zolpidem" it has been disappearing in my metro area of 650,000 population. I was told by one pharmacist today it is "backordered" and by another, that it is no longer available for re-order!!! I am very frustrated. This also involves a "bioavailability" issue with me (how much of the drug makes it to the bloodstream). I have compared all of these mfg versions to even a foreign manufacturer in Buenos Aires, Argentina (Gador Pharmaceuticals) and their version of zolpidem (called Somit) is also just as strong as USA brand Ambien, or French made "Stilnox", that I have obtained on foreign travels (Germany). I am very tired (my interpretation) of the many USA generics that don't seem to measure up. I counted seventeen (17) current mfg. of Zolpidem in the USA today (reference: REDBOOK Pharmacys Fundamental Reference 2009 edition published by PDR &

Thomson Reuters....the wholesale cost bible for pharmacy (113th year). Has anyone tried Roxane's product? (my next choice) Has anyone tried the Prasco generic? (Is Prasco still made by Sanofi-Aventis in France?) I would appreciate any advice...........

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lewis in Manhattan

Cn

mellow.gif

I find this whole discussion about Generic Ambien (Zolpidem) very interesting. I have been on Ambien 10 mg. continuously since late 2000, thus that is 9 yrs of use. Prior to April 2007, I only used Sanofi-Aventis Brand, until the generic became available. I like the med in general, but sometimes, would abstain for about 3 to 5 days, maybe a stretch 7 days, when I felt "tolerance building" or rather its didn't seem to work as well, usually after 3 or 4 months of nightly use.

The robust response always returned on the brand name product. It got so very expensive over time, I was delighted it finally was offered generic. Geez! has it been a disappointment for me, trying to find a generic that works as well as the brand. I first tried Teva, like others have noted, it was like a sugar pill to me...nothing. I ask my pharmacist for a alternative mfg of zolpidem, more disappointments, "Mylan" "Ranbaxy" "Torrent" were at best only about 1/2 strength. I ran thru the bottle of meds due to taking 2 tabs to get the effect I was accustomed to with Sanofi brand Ambien. I even abstained for a week, several times, still no difference! I later tried "Apotex" which was a improvement for me, over the others, but still, was "below strength for me". I am accustomed to that warm fuzzy feeling within 20 minutes or so, and it still felt watered down. Finally, I discovered Zolpidem 10mg. by Curaco!!! (white oval shaped with 516 embossed on pill) That worked for me as good as the original Sanofi Ambien!! After 12 to 15 months using "Curaco Zolpidem" it has been disappearing in my metro area of 650,000 population. I was told by one pharmacist today it is "backordered" and by another, that it is no longer available for re-order!!! I am very frustrated. This also involves a "bioavailability" issue with me (how much of the drug makes it to the bloodstream). I have compared all of these mfg versions to even a foreign manufacturer in Buenos Aires, Argentina (Gador Pharmaceuticals) and their version of zolpidem (called Somit) is also just as strong as USA brand Ambien, or French made "Stilnox", that I have obtained on foreign travels (Germany). I am very tired (my interpretation) of the many USA generics that don't seem to measure up. I counted seventeen (17) current mfg. of Zolpidem in the USA today (reference: REDBOOK Pharmacys Fundamental Reference 2009 edition published by PDR &

Thomson Reuters....the wholesale cost bible for pharmacy (113th year). Has anyone tried Roxane's product? (my next choice) Has anyone tried the Prasco generic? (Is Prasco still made by Sanofi-Aventis in France?) I would appreciate any advice...........

Can you get Stilnox in France or Germany without a prescription? How much does it cost?

I find the original Ambien 10 mg. white cylindrical tab by far the best, but so very very expensive here in New York. The zolpidem generic is really cheap but really cheap results.

• 2 weeks later...

Cn

mellow.gif

Can you get Stilnox in France or Germany without a prescription? How much does it cost?

I find the original Ambien 10 mg. white cylindrical tab by far the best, but so very very expensive here in New York. The zolpidem generic is really cheap but really cheap results.

Hello Guest_Lewis in Manhattan_

I don't know about France, but Sanofi "Stilnox" (identical to USA Sanofi "Ambien") is not OTC on the Apothecary's shelves in either Germany, or Austria.

The price of the brand name by patent holder Sanofi is around $80.00 for a small box of 20 ten mg. cylindrical tabs. Yes, it is expensive (still) if one insists on the

brand name. The AWP (Average Wholesale Cost) of one bottle of Sanofi-Aventis Ambien (Zolpidem 10 mg.) one hundred tablets for this Schedule IV hypnotic is $ 537.77 (that is five hundred thirty seven dollars and seventy seven cents US)

NDC (National Drug Code 00024-5421-31) Source: REDBOOK (Pharmacy's Fundamental Reference) 2009 Edition, 113th year of publication, publisher, PDR, Inc. (Physicians Desk Reference) Montvale, NJ 07645 Distributor Thomson Reuters ISBN 978-1-56363-706-3