CrazyBoards.org

being viligilant against terror

Hi All:

after the car bombs found in the uk...and then the bombing of the glasgow airport (yes, i call it a "bombing")...the people on tv keep saying "be viligiant."

while i think the above mentioned bombs are all related due to new uk prime minister from scotland (or something...im only half-way watching & reading the news).

however - how much is too vigilant. be aware of my surroundings. ok. but my surroundings have too much oddness. im aware. im viligant. once its on its impossible to turn off.

anyone else this way? anyone have any suggestions on how i can keep my "awareness" at a reasonable level and not forseeing catastrophe everytime i notice something "different?"

???

december

usa is too vigilant. xx; or, the special people are too vigilant. normal people walking on the street don't notice ANYTHING because they expect police & security to notice for them.

i'm in the us, unfortunately, and don't know a lot about britain or europe. but my mom lived in france for 3 years and is constantly telling me that it's just important to notice the people around you and take note of anything really freaky. (because here, people don't do that.) i think paranoia isn't good, but just keeping your eyes open should be fine. remind yourself that the chances of something bad happening to you are relatively slim.

sorry, i'm just an uneducated observer. i hope you get a better answer soon.

usa is too vigilant. xx; or, the special people are too vigilant. normal people walking on the street don't notice ANYTHING because they expect police & security to notice for them.

I'm sorry, but I'm not exactly sure that I understand what you are saying here. What do you mean by "special people?"

Not all "normal people" are oblivious to the world. I mean, I wouldn't say that I am "too vigilant," but I do know how to take notice of things and my surroundings. I am very much not naive about the world and things that can happen. I mean, I don't know... I grew up around NYC/Queens, so maybe it just comes with the territory...

In my opinion, there is only so much one can do when it comes to terror attacks. I don't think that you can live your life afraid that something is going to happen to you... afraid that your plane will be hijacked and crash and things like that. In life, you never know what is going to happen. Regular everyday vehicular accidents happen all the time... does that mean that I am never going to drive and/or get into a car? Of course not.

I do not and do not wish to put myself in the center of danger either, though. I think that you just have to trust yourself and your instincts. If you let paranoia set in, it can get the best of you...

i'm in the us, unfortunately, and don't know a lot about britain or europe. but my mom lived in france for 3 years and is constantly telling me that it's just important to notice the people around you and take note of anything really freaky. (because here, people don't do that.) i think paranoia isn't good, but just keeping your eyes open should be fine. remind yourself that the chances of something bad happening to you are relatively slim.

Again, I think that saying people in the US do not take note of what is going on around them is a huge generality. The United States is a big place and if you live in a, lets say, very urban area with a high rate of crime, well, ya kind of take notice of things around you to try and stay safe. Some people don't, that's true, but there are a lot of factors involved. If you are like one of my friends who grew up in a very small town, you aren't really groomed to watch your back as much as someone from another area bc you may be more of a trusting individual... or something like that. The same thing can go for people in Europe. People are people.

I don't know if what I said came out right, but I just don't like the generalization that all people in the US are oblivious to their surroundings... because I know I'm not...

Hi All:

after the car bombs found in the uk...and then the bombing of the glasgow airport (yes, i call it a "bombing")...the people on tv keep saying "be viligiant."

Keep in mind that the Glasgow airport already had bollards set up to keep bloody-minded bastards from driving into the airport with car bombs, or just shooting the place up... Isn't it a little ironic that the Arab World is always complaining about Westerners being too culturally insensitive, while being too wrapped up in their own agendas to think that - maybe, just maybe - the UK has had a few decades of IRA violence to start defending against the obvious attacks?

Against a well-planned attack there isn't much that an ill-defined "being vigilant" will do for you.

If you are travelling through or working/living in an area that is sure to have great symbolic value be wary of people doing out-of-character things:

- Foreign nationals with nice clothes and smooth hands filling extra gas cans for their clean SUV? We're not talking about a Mexican-run lawn service, folks loading up with hurricane supplies, or rednecks who might just blow themselves up after too many sixpacks. "Hey y'all! Watch this!"

- People setting briefcases or other parcels down and walking away? Hey, they're stupid and deserve to have the bomb squad blow their iPod and Blackberry up.

- One-way airline tickets paid in cash. Someone's running to or from something and doesn't want to be traced. Time to suggest a body cavity search to Officer Friendly.

- Mad Scotsmen veering off the road towards the front door of the airport? I've no sympathy for anyone stupid enough to stand there and watch, at the very least they had to be drunk (or Miami drivers. Neither one is safe to be around!)

- Nervous-looking but fit college age students or housewives carrying an unusual extra 20 pounds under their clothes? If it isn't a bomb, they're shoplifting. Call security.

New York or Los Angeles are targets. Des Moines, Albuquerque, Boise, or Helena aren't. Tallahassee is a half-hearted suggestion by the rest of the state.

Some events and places are already being "hardened" to the point of requiring overkill such as can only be found in Hollywood scripts. The vast majority of American landmarks and events are plagued by low-density visitation, profound INsignificance, or inherent futility. In between are a very few that are probably being studied by Al Qaeda and company, not all of them wise choices.

I think the common thread here among the advice given is just listen to your intuition. If your intuition is STRONGLY nagging at you that something is off, it may just be right. But as far as being vigilant--that is such a stupid thing for them to say. Why should people constantly walk around looking over their shoulder and bracing themselves for an "inevitable" terrorist attack? That doesn't really help you notice anything weird. I think people should just go about their lives without undue fear, and if you notice something that really grabs your attention and makes your brain scream "THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG HERE!", report it or whatever the appropriate reaction is for the situation. Of course, to do that people have to get over their fear of looking like an idiot by reporting something to the police that's of no significance. I know that is something I would have a problem doing.

anyone have any suggestions on how i can keep my "awareness" at a reasonable level and not forseeing catastrophe everytime i notice something "different?"

Here's an example of "different,"

but probably not a terrorist act:

I'm PTSD, I'm ALWAYS too vigilant, does that make me " Special???" ;)

I don't want to shake any trees here, but the USA is using scare tactics to further inflame "The enemy" and keep us in a sub-police state.

I'm not at all politically savvy, but I'm not amused. This administration is as fumble fingered as they come, not that I have a replacement in mind...politics sucks

When the politicians TELL me, what to think, what to do with my life and what I can and cannot do with my body, they have stepped a few cha-chas too far.

I don't like any of them.

Sorry, lost a few too many family members to stupid senseless wars, kind of tender.

Hi:

Null: all the star wars movies scare the SHITE out of me. seriously. im that messed up.

as if being "viligant" wasnt enough - in los angeles the tv stations are showing a commerical for "ready.gov" emphasising families to make decisions about what to do in a "terror" situation.

and then my conspiracy brain starts working...THEY need to keep us scared...

db

as if being "viligant" wasnt enough - in los angeles the tv stations are showing a commerical for "ready.gov" emphasising families to make decisions about what to do in a "terror" situation.

and then my conspiracy brain starts working...THEY need to keep us scared...

db

hmmmm.... wow. I hadn't heard of that. I would think that maybe if they have it in LA that they would have it by me (with NYC and LA being two of the "big targets" and all), but I haven't seen anything here. Then again, even if they are showing something here, I haven't really had time to watch much TV.

I definately do not think that keeping people scared is the right way to go...at.all... blah...

...I'm late for work...

~Ophelia~

I'm sorry, but I'm not exactly sure that I understand what you are saying here. What do you mean by "special people?"

Not all "normal people" are oblivious to the world. I mean, I wouldn't say that I am "too vigilant," but I do know how to take notice of things and my surroundings. I am very much not naive about the world and things that can happen. I mean, I don't know... I grew up around NYC/Queens, so maybe it just comes with the territory...

I don't know if what I said came out right, but I just don't like the generalization that all people in the US are oblivious to their surroundings... because I know I'm not...

sorry. "special people" meaning security and police and those kinds of people.

i apologize for the huge generalization. it just seems that on average, people here are less observant than people in europe. and i don't mean oblivious, just not as observant.

sorry, sorry. ;;

Hi:

Null: all the star wars movies scare the SHITE out of me. seriously. im that messed up.

They're mostly shoot-em-ups with a little romance and sci-fi window-dressing. So if gunfights, car chases,

and so forth are nerve-wracking anyway ...

I just found the image of a stormtrooper dancing to 70s disco cheerfully disturbing. In the US, he'd probably be shot by Homeland Insecurity while Ahmed the Human Bomb walks right on by to his target.

Archived