CrazyBoards.org

It feels like I could spend every hour of every day in my bed, sleeping. If I am doing something else, I want to be sleeping. ;)

I used to be so energetic. I could work for hours on end and party all night long.

Now-a-days I feel like an old woman and I am only 21! If I work (I'm in catering) for like 3 hours I am completely wiped out. Like, actually exhausted. And my lower back hurts all the time. My shoulders are constantly as hard as a rock from so many knots. Why the heck is this?

Do other people that are depressed feel wiped out all the time and not really interested in doing anything at all? I just don't care about anything. I know I should though.

My mom thinks my tiredness is a side effect of my meds. When I was on topamax, I was like a zombie. Is it better to be off meds if the side effects are too great?

I'm clueless :)

It could be a side effect of the medication, which may change in time. I don't know how long you have been taking your current medications. It could also be that your they aren't working well enough. How are you feeling in general, mood wise? How is your appetite and your sleep? If you aren't relly interested in doing things, it might not be just a medication thing.

It is much better to be on our medications than off them and we have to weigh the side effects for ourselves. What is tolerable for one person may not be for another. If it effects how you function- work, school, socially, then it is probably not a good medication since the goal of treatment is to get you functional. If it is a relatively new medication I would stick it out a while. See if taking naps helps at all or sleeping earlier or maybe taking it at a different time or exercise. If it is working well, I would do all you can to stay with it since it is hard to find medications that do work well.

Otherwise, talk to your doctor about what is going on and see what they can do to help.

You may also need to get your thyroid levels checked.

My thyroid started giving me trouble when I was 20. I'm 33 now and it's pretty much dead.

So if you are also having symptoms such as weight gain, dry hair and skin, depression, irregular periods and some other symptoms that I can't think of right now then you may want to get those levels checked!

Here's a link for more info:

http://www.endocrineweb.com/hypo1.html

Symptoms of Hypothyroidism

Fatigue

Weakness

Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight

Coarse, dry hair

Dry, rough pale skin

Hair loss

Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)

Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches

Constipation

Depression

Irritability

Memory loss

Abnormal menstrual cycles

Decreased libido

hope that helps!

MTL--

Have you looked at your physical activity regimen? I've found personally that severely reducing my physical activity (I have to do so during my worse encephalitis bouts) causes me to rapidly gain weight. This results in symptoms such as lower back pain and trouble breathing (bordering on an asthma attack).

In addition to the meds, maybe you should consider the more biological Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). CFS is also known as CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome). Largely, there is a major difference in CFS as to when the fatigue occurs (as compared to the psychosomatic fatigue caused by some MIs. A good litmus test is whether or not you actually want to do work -- if you feel work is important to you and that your inability to go really distresses you, then that's considered a sign of CFS and not psychosomatic (depressive) fatigue.

The diagnostic criteria for CFS/CFIDS are defined below:

You may have CFS if you have experienced at least six (6) months of fatigue which is not substantially relieved by rest and severe enough to interfere with physical, mental, social and educational activities. This debilitating fatigue must also be accompanied by four (4) or more of the following symptoms:

* impaired memory/concentration

* sore throat

* tender neck or armpit lymph nodes

* muscle pain

* headaches of a new type, pattern or severity

* unrefreshing sleep

* post-exertional malaise and

* muscle and joint pain.

(Source: The CFIDS Association of America, www.cfids.org)

Because of your pain symptoms, you might also want to consider Fibromyalgia (FMS). It is a disorder somewhat similar to CFS/CFIDS.

The diagnostic criteria, as outlined by the Mayo Clinic, are in the following link:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/DS00079

As far as general symptomatic treatment, have you tried "neuromuscular massage"? It's offered in many physical therapy places, as well as even in some primary care, orthopaedic, and neurology practices. Even my former GP's practice in a small city (Augusta, GA) offered it. As a form of massage, it can help relieve the pain, especially the tension (e.g. the knot in your shoulders).

In conclusion, talk to your doctor about CFS/CFIDS, FMS, and psychosomatic fatigue. Consider the symptoms you've been having and see if they relate to the former two disorders.

I get tired all the time. I believe it is from the depression and my multiple personality disorder (the constant switching all day long makes me extremely tired.) I have hypersomnia and sleep between 12-18 hours a day. It is not because of the medicine because I've been taking it for a long time and you would think that side effect would go away by now.

You may also need to get your thyroid levels checked.

My thyroid started giving me trouble when I was 20. I'm 33 now and it's pretty much dead.

So if you are also having symptoms such as weight gain, dry hair and skin, depression, irregular periods and some other symptoms that I can't think of right now then you may want to get those levels checked!

Here's a link for more info:

http://www.endocrineweb.com/hypo1.html

Symptoms of Hypothyroidism

Fatigue

Weakness

Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight

Coarse, dry hair

Dry, rough pale skin

Hair loss

Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)

Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches

Constipation

Depression

Irritability

Memory loss

Abnormal menstrual cycles

Decreased libido

hope that helps!

Wow, great suggestion! It makes perfect sense. I actually went TODAY to go get my blood tested and I will find out in a few days whether or not I have a thyroid problem.

Thank you!

MTL--

In addition to the meds, maybe you should consider the more biological Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). CFS is also known as CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome). Largely, there is a major difference in CFS as to when the fatigue occurs (as compared to the psychosomatic fatigue caused by some MIs. A good litmus test is whether or not you actually want to do work -- if you feel work is important to you and that your inability to go really distresses you, then that's considered a sign of CFS and not psychosomatic (depressive) fatigue.

It is very possible I have chronic fatigue syndrome...

Thanks for the info!

MTL:

I get tired from my medication sometimes, but that will usually abate after awhile. What you're describing sounds more like a depression-type tiredness, IMHO. I can usually gauge the level of my depression by how tired I am and how eager I am to get out of bed in the morning. Right now, I'm kind of depressed, and I'm having the same type of symptoms you are---I sleep alot at night with the help of alot of trazadone and I take a nap during the day any chance I get.

I hope you feel better--keep us "posted."

db

ps.I'm going to force myself to walk the dog this morning!

When you had your blood tests, did they say that they were checking the thyroid? It's not a normal test unless you've actually complained about fatigue.

If it is your thyroid, that would be easy and treatable.

However, Chronic Fatigue isn't as clear-cut. Docs don't really know how to treat it and generally just hope it goes away on its own. Plus, you can't be diagnosed with CFS if you have other things (like Depression) that cause the same symptoms. It's only "technically" CFS if there is no other explanation.

Fibromyalgia on the other hand, can be diagnosed, but is mainly about the pain.

Either way, the treatments for these are pretty much the same:

Sleep-aids, muscle relaxants, pain meds, and antidepressants.

Some meds can cause what you're experiencing.. but usually it's just the depression messing you up. I say, if a thyroid test comes up clear.. talk to your pdoc about your symptoms & try to get something to help counteract them.

[Edit: Spelling]

Archived