CrazyBoards.org

recs for a decent, cheapish desktop PC

so it turns out that I Married A Gamer. or a wannabe gamer, at least. he's recently gotten into WoW, and has been using his brother's ridiculously expensive gaming rig to play. unfortunately, said brother (owning, as he does, a ridiculously expensive gaming rig), also likes to play on the computer, and is moving out of our house soon anyway.

i have a ~ 3yr old PowerBook G4. the processor might be able to hack it -- might -- but it's only a 12", needs a RAM upgrade like wizard needs food, and hasn't got much HD space left. also, the screen's gone a bit wonky, colourwise. Boy wants to install WoW on my laptop. (he's already bought it. plus the expansion pack. he is a dork.) i don't think it's going to be able to keep up. also, damnit, it is my laptop and i am protective and i don't want 16 gigs of my hard drive getting filled up with blood elves and shit.

so i want to find him a relatively good, relatively cheap desktop setup. it doesn't have to be fancy, but i loathe PCs, and so i want something unlikely to require much tinkering. would something with specs like these do?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2663

and then there's the question of a monitor. how big, exactly, would i want it to be? we haven't got a television, so a screen of quality good enough to use for DVDs would be a bonus. any recommendations?

As far a monitor, an LCD no bigger than 15" is recommended for those that are seizuriffic.

As far as the one that you listed, the vid card may not be able to handle it. I don't go for WoW, give me GTA....

mmm, stripperlicious, but I digress...

As far as the vid card, you'll need at least a 3-D Vid Card that supports Direct-x 9 & Open GL.

If it only has 512MB you'll need @ least another 512MB.

Your best bet would probably be a bare bones PC system and then just build up from there. But considering the fact that I'm typing all of this from my MacBook....you know where my loyalties lie.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

DAMNIT DAMNIT I WANT A MACBOOK DAMNIT not fair

sigh.

we are buying the PC off tigerdirect. teh yayz0r. (oh well. at least i can play Oblivion on it. stupid bethesda software.)

...you know, i got this credit card right here, i could just click on over to apple instead....

also, damnit, it is my laptop and i am protective and i don't want 16 gigs of my hard drive getting filled up with blood elves and shit.

I hope you know how much this one sentence made me laugh.

blood elves and shit.

fucking awesome.

the blood elf chicks are such total fucking hobags, too. swear to god. you walk into Silvermoon City and it's like Tramp Stamp Nite at a shitty college bar...

but now we go to best buy! and we buy a monitor! wheeeeeeeeee!

needs a RAM upgrade like wizard needs food

That is one of the most fantastically dorky things I've heard in a while. Excellent.

TigerDirect is pretty sketchy, from what I've heard. If you just want something cheap, go look on Slickdeals and wait a couple days until an absurdly cheap Dell system comes up. It may not come with exactly what you need, but you can generally get something fairly close and grab extra RAM or a video card off Newegg or something. I have an incrediblie distrust of their laptops after a long string of several people's bad experiences, but the desktops aren't too bad for the price. Not the best thing out there, but much less sketchy than a lot of the random places on the Internets.

Your PowerBook can probably handle it, but certainly not at full quality or anything. The beta was kind of miserable on my iBook of around the same age, but it has a substantially worse video card and somewhat slower CPU.

You can get a 17" LCD for slightly more than free these days, and 19" for not too much more. I have no problem with them at any size, despite having all sorts of photosensitive crap going on. CRTs, on the other hand, can be kind of irritating sometimes, especially at low refresh rates, but LCDs are nice and don't flicker or make that annoying, high-pitched whining sound.

Blood, elves, and shit...?

i've actually had okay experiences with tigerdirect, so i went with it; nothing on newegg looked right. i've had shit luck with HPs and dealt with a Dell that i believe actually wished me physical harm, so i picked up a Gateway. which has its own issues, but at least i knew i was getting a refurb unit at the beginning... meh.

i might have spent a bit too much, but i'm lazy and i feared losing my poor battered laptop forever. (though it turns out i'll get to discover how it runs on the powerbook anyway, since i'm being dragooned into campaigning with boy. i'm going to get us on a PvP server and slit his damn throat.)

Evil Gaming Brother swayed us into purchasing a stupid-expensive flatscreen, but it was pretty and shiny and On Sale and he let us use his gift card. and now we don't hafta buy a teevee. and it's much, much easier on the eyes than a CRT.

yay technology-induced brokeness.

More than you want to spend?

http://www.directron.com/sysmm2.html

I swear by directron and have for years. I get everything from them even I get it for $10 less at newegg.

I've also got a few brand name systems I'd be caught dead using listed in the computer stuff section of the crazystore. I usualy only use ones I build myself out of parts I find under my bed and bits of string.

I just noticed the dell I had listed is no longer available. I'll be putting something else there in its place.

Check out open box specials and refurbs at www.tigerdirect.com. I just bought a replacement laptop for this one that's dying and cannot be fixed for $1300 total. I have bought alot of parts from them to build my own systems as well.

Archived