CrazyBoards.org

what's the weirdest side effect you've gotten?

Abilify, risperdal, and geodon: gave me funny muscle tension so that I couldn't drop my arms down by my sides. They would sort of rise up in front of me while I was walking, like I was wearing casts bent at the elbow. I would drop them back down, they'd come back up. Freaky.

Geodon also made me walk around my apartment over and over while having endlessly repeated daydreams that were both grandiose and pointless. (I do that occasionally anyway as part of hypomania/mixedness, but not anywhere near that bad.)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abilify, risperdal, and geodon: gave me funny muscle tension so that I couldn't drop my arms down by my sides. They would sort of rise up in front of me while I was walking, like I was wearing casts bent at the elbow. I would drop them back down, they'd come back up. Freaky.

Sounds like a variety of dystonia (EPS-related.)

BTW, is the side-effects question limited to prescription medications and do bad reactions count?

huh! it sure does. I don't think my pdoc ever mentioned that word to me though.

I'd intended it generally for side-effects of prescription medications, but anything interesting, weird, and/or extreme sounds good to me. (Although in the "sounds awful to me" kind of way.)

huh! it sure does. I don't think my pdoc ever mentioned that word to me though.

I'd intended it generally for side-effects of prescription medications, but anything interesting, weird, and/or extreme sounds good to me. (Although in the "sounds awful to me" kind of way.)

I was going to submit AP-like effects (including severe EPS) from a hallucinogen, but the chemical in question theoretically may be able to do that.

So, instead, how about a body-wide itchy rash (NOT SJS) combined with fast mood cycling - homicidal planning to suicidal depression in less than 30 minutes. Rinse, scratch, repeat. From prednisone.

Here's a fun one: throwing away perfectly good bananas that smelled literally like shit, (and tasted appropriate to the smell), or a couple of days later diesel exhaust smelling like fresh steaks being charbroiled on a grill. Courtesy Wellbutrin.

seizures - I've had 3 within the last 3 months (one at work 2 weeks ago, which was not a pleasant experience) - not sure what they are related to because the only med change I've had was my ortho added ultram - but that was only about a month ago

I'll spare the details on the sexual ones.

I still swear that zoloft caused language learning problems. I had a hellish time learning new vocabulary in german that year. Before and after zoloft it was much better.

Tennex made me feel like I walking around under water. Probobly depersonalization now that I think about it.

I use to be able to rollerblade, not very well but it was possible now I can barely go more than a few feet. Can't run anymore my knees just don't seem to work they lock up, good thing that bus slowed down. Doctor says its in my head......

take care

trg247

maybe there's TMI here...

but Zyprexa created a great deal of gastrointestinal vapor combustion products for me...

and a lot of other people, anecdotally, have complained about this side effect.

Thanks to lamictal I run into EVERY SINGLE door facing that I encounter. I don't miss a beat.

Been there, done that. Was only a titrating thing for me, hope you have the same luck.

I think I'd have to vote for Zoloft and Trileptal, off the top of my head.

Zoloft made me completely forget that I have any interest in music, which is weird considering that I normally spend a lot of time listening to, playing, or writing music. It's not that it didn't seem interesting; my brain pretty much forgot that music existed, and it never occurred to me to do anything related to it.

Trileptal made me forget how to use prepositions. Other parts of speech worked fine, but I had serious issues figuring out what an appropriate preposition was to use in a sentence. If my language weirdness with Lamictal keeps up, it might pull ahead of Trileptal in a few weeks, though.

Losing my brain. As in forgetting how to do simple practical tasks, mind just going dumb, temporarily losing my intelligence. Also starting to say something then in the middle of it forgetting what it was I was trying to say, or not being able to find the right words suddenly, not finishing what I was trying to say and I turned clueless all of a sudden.

That was on WB, some have suggested they were seizures.

Weirdest side effect on small dose of seroquel a few times a week, is when I've woken up and still feel sedated, it's like I'm 'still drunk', I bump into things, drop things easily, slip in the shower easily, just can't keep my balance or coordination properly. Takes about 15 hours to totally wear off. Have to watch my driving while I'm still somewhat sedated.

My boyfriend swears that Lexapro has made me clumsier than ever. I seem to accumulate minor injuries much more often than I used to and often realize it with an odd detachment and sometimes a weirdly delayed pain response. As compared to my former blood-phobic instantly panicky irrationality.

Zoloft made me completely forget that I have any interest in music, which is weird considering that I normally spend a lot of time listening to, playing, or writing music. It's not that it didn't seem interesting; my brain pretty much forgot that music existed, and it never occurred to me to do anything related to it.

This is exactly what makes me want to ditch the Lexapro sometimes; the only reason I think about art a lot of days is because its my job to teach it. Ever since I started meds it feels like art has become a body of knowledge I carry around rather than an active passion I live.

I just started Abilify-15 mg. a week ago and it has given me weird and slightly embarrassing SE's. 1. horny 2. painful orgasms-they are (sorry for being so descriptive) very strong, and then I get cramps so bad they nearly take my breath away. My dh and I used to have sex about once a month. Now we are all over each other! This comes(no pun intended.lol) from just a week after a major med. overhaul, counseling, understanding, and a renewed love life. Wow. There but for the grace of God, go I.

i won't go into the issues on had on seroquel when i couldn't stand up, hold anything without spilling it, missed my mouth with the spoon, and couldn't use the bathroom on my own.

other than that, feeling intensely violent many years ago for about a week on geodon before they pulled it (i was in the hospital thankfully).

i lost my hair, menstration, and started lactating on risp.

Mine are all from Geodon.

Made my feet turn inward & made my knees weak once all of a sudden. I couldn't walk and barely managed to shuffle along to my car - which I then drove home from school... that was.. interesting.

Then, on going off of it; I had a horrible and realistic nightmare and woke up to find myself cutting off circulation to my left leg and choking myself. The leg was completely numb & I was terrified to go back to sleep for fear that I'd permanently injure myself.

So I went back on and tapered - only to then hear a constant rumbling sound that wasn't there and extreme visual distortions.

Fun stuff. ;)

When I first went on Topamax, I stared at the walls. Wasn't so bad. Now I'm just stupid. Risperdal-Swelled up to about 6 months pregnancy size. Not so good. I only use for emergency.

Ambien-10mg. It gives me the weirdest dreams. Strattera-gave me all night long, tortuous, horrible nightmares. As soon as I stopped taking it, the nightmares went away. The Ambien dreams are never nightmares, just like I am in a parallel universe or something. Very weird, yet, somehow not disturbing.

Archived