CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
divinedesign21

How do you get your meds for BP?

Hi everyone. Life is not good for me now. Several months back I lost my medicaid because I make too much money (yeah, $1000 a month is a fortune). So, I went off my meds. Also, I had the crazy idea that I could "positively think" myself into a healthy, normal individual. I forgot to realize that:

No matter how hard I try to "visualize" or "think positive" I cannot make myself into something I'm not. I am a white female. I cannot turn myself into an asian male by thinking positively. I also cannot wish my BP away as badly as I want to.

Anyway, things went from bad to worse. About a month after going off my meds, I went batshit. Started drinking, taking morphine and smoking crack every day. To make things worse, I got an inheritance and was able to support my habit quite nicely. Now I'm broke. Well, I still have a chunk in a trust fund, but I don't have access to it. That's probably a good thing.

So, I've spent the last two days in bed, recovering from opiate withdrawals and trying not to throw up. I'm freaking out about getting fat again. I lost a bunch of weight I've been struggling with for years simply by using drugs daily. Not that that's cool, but now I know I'll gain it back probably and my weight has always been a source of my depression.

So, I've come full circle. Because I lost my medicaid and was unable to take my meds, I lost my job because I started self medicating with drugs and couldn't make it to work. Now I've got my medicaid back! Ain't that some shit? I will be going back to my pdoc on August 1st. Until then I have enough Wellbutrin to make it until then. I get my seroquel refilled in a couple of days.

What I'm wondering is how does eveyrone here get their meds? What do you do if you don't have insurance? I don't want to go through this again.

I'm on disability. They cover my drugs. Even then, I have to apply for special coverage for some of them because they're being used "off-label." Groan.

Now, I have good insurance. But, when I was uninsured, I used the patient assistance program thingy for my Lamictal...and the lith was only like $26/month anyways.

Definately talk to your doc. They can get the shit done. Also, check out the sites for your med manufacturers--*I* brought the info to my doc, he'd never done it before, but his pnurse had. Presto, in a few days my med worries were over! (Tho that regards only Lamictal)

I'm an unemployed and uninsured student and I get Depakote, Topamax, and Seroquel through their patient assistance programs. I pay retail for generic Klonopin and Lovastatin.

i get all of my meds through pharm co patient assistance programs.

There's also alot of churches who will help. Call around-go on the net. Ask your pharmacist. There are so many different programs of assistance. Stay away from the illegal drugs and get yourself on some good meds. You could always go to the ER at first and tell them you are a suicidal substance abuser and they could admit you and give you meds and referrals, as well as counseling. Or, if not ER, you could go to a psych. facility that you don't need ins. for. Every county should have one. (I think.)

You could always go to the ER at first and tell them you are a suicidal substance abuser and they could admit you and give you meds and referrals, as well as counseling.

Great, Fraud. Good way to get "better"... (Just cuz "Nam vets used to do it doesn't make it OK)

Every county should have one. (I think.)

Where are you from again? Cuz up here, we've got some pretty Goddam small counties--hell, for the 4th largest state, we have what...the 46th smallest population? (Maybe, maybe, we'll hit a million by 2020) Sometimes the best you can do/hope for is a facility (decent or otherwise) within 100 miles. I know of maybe 5 pdocs in my town--basically serving about 65,000 people in the area. Plus there are a couple more at the mostly state-funded MI facility. Shit, we don't even have actual psych hospitilization in town--you go nuts, you go to a cell (it's kinda nice, it has a window, just...not to the outside) and maybe you get transferred to the State institution.

What I'm saying...is we get by, and we know how to get cheap meds. Not ideal, but it mostly works. As low-brow as our system may be, you very rarely hear of any MI person flipping out and doing something horrible. So if we an get by, so can almost anybody else here (the States). If you're on the Web, you should be able to find what you need, take it to your pdoc, and get 'er done.

What's happened to my daughter, the "working poor"--she has this half-assed, only if you get hit by a bus ins. thru her part-time job with Macy's. They DO have medication coverage, but the max they will pay a year in co-pays is $500. Which, for folks like us, is about--two months?

Since she has SOME insurance with drug coverage, she is not eligible for any of the Rx. assistance programs which are sponsored by the pharms. So she has resorted to telling her doc she will have to have her Effexor XR thru samples--and I will send her all the XR samples I can round up from our detail guy for Effexor at work.

It really sux--its all the ins. she can get, and its better than nothing, cause she can't get disability, but because she has it, she has to pay for her meds, which she cannot afford to do.

So--Crazynotstupid--whats your secret to meds we can actually afford? She needs all the help I can come upp with, and I am the queen of finding meds, being the old research/now office nurse that I am, with the ability to call in most anything. But its not the Rx she needs, its getting the meds. Her doc is great--but daughter has NO MONEY--

Lets all go see "Sicko" this weekend--

china

Edited by chinacat

i go to a clinic in my county that provides free mental health care for people under a certain income, regardless of if they have the opportunity to buy into some other kind of health program (which usually is substandard or they can't afford it). you just have to be under a certain income in my county.

we just voted for a huge levy to keep funding mental health programs in my county. i'm very, VERY fortunate to live here.

you MAY possibly have this kind of access in your county. you may be able to go to this kind of place. all my meds are free through the pharm cos, but if i couldn't get them that way, my pdoc would hook me up through either samples or the central pharmacy that serves all of my state's public mental health programs.

i used to get some of my meds this way before i got hooked up with the programs with the pharm cos.

CNS- yes, it may be a *white lie* to claim to be suicidal if you're not, and perhaps *fraud* technically, but we all know how difficult it is to get care and how easy it is for that mood to pivot and suddenly become a dangerous one. it is an individual decision to go with a *white lie* (aka *fraud*) or with just going without. to me, the Powers That Be put us in this position. there are counties with no access to mental h ealth care, programs that have huge cracks that millions of people fall through, and a public that doesn't give a rat's ass. sometimes, for our lives, we are put in this position.

Actually, I have a very related question.

I have really good insurance. They pay for anything I need, basically. Yet. . . if I took all the meds I was supposed to and went to all the appointments I was supposed to . . . I'd be paying (per month)--

70+30+3+50+27+5= $185 for meds

4(20)+20+20= $120 for appointments

At least $205 TOTAL !! Those are just my co-pays.

That's more than food! And this is supposed to be affordable?

Am I missing something here, or is this the average?

When I was on, say, topamax or abilfy, my med costs were similar. I pay rather less for doc visits, but then I usually only have a couple a month, maybe. (Normally, and we certainly can't count my recent dental adventures) Even tossing in the occasional blood test, I'm still not too bad.

Also, though, I can get my scrips for 3 months, whcih brings the price down to about 2/3 the normal copay.

I'm running somewhere around 300 right now for appointments and meds. It adds up. I think a lot of people pay a couple hundred a month or more in co-pays, yeah. Around these parts anyway.

CNS-Than was mean. I was only trying to help. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I did not deserve that.

CNS-Than was mean. I was only trying to help. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I did not deserve that.

I could have suggested robbing a pharmacy, but that too is wrong and illegal. I'm sorry if you feel facts and figures are mean, but such as it is--unlike you, I feel that such things deserve (need, actually) to be pointed out.

P.S., that wasn't me being mean. When I get mean, you can practically see the spittle on your monitor.

I have really good insurance. They pay for anything I need, basically. Yet. . . if I took all the meds I was supposed to and went to all the appointments I was supposed to . . . I'd be paying (per month)--

70+30+3+50+27+5= $185 for meds

4(20)+20+20= $120 for appointments

That's about average I think.

I have good insurance and I pay a lot in copays for meds. My doc visits are only $5 and I only see my pdoc 1/month, but I spend $160/month in med co-pays.

I can relate to this. I'm a student, and my work is sort of "Labor Pool". If they need someone, they will call you. I pretty much live via samples and patient assistant programs from pharmaceutical companies. I know that it won't last forever. Right now, the medicines I'm on would run at least $500/month w/o insurance. Even if I had a good job, I still could not afford that. Also, there are no guarentees that a particular insurance company would cover those specific meds. I can pay for a few things out-of-pocket, like when I was taking Prozac (woo hoo Walmart) or benzodiazepines (I would only get 10). Doctor's visits are another story. Fortunately, I got 3 psychiatric visits for free. But, beyond that, I have no clue how to deal with that. I will find out how much a visit would normally cost, hopefully they have a sliding-scale type of payment. But, I still would only be able to affor a couple of visits a year (if that). I do acknowledge that I have it better than most, I am getting some type of treatment. I guess I just worry about long-term care.

So, CNS--what is the secret to getting apparently really good care in a small place with few resources--and little insurance? You alluded to the fact that we all should be able to find adequate care and medications we can afford.

I just need to know how--and where--I'm pretty good on the net, but I could use some direxction. Are you talking about ording meds from Canada? or what?

Help--my daughter is in one hell of a spot-and mama tigers are fiercely protective--

china (AKA in my younger years as "The Tiger", courtesy of my parents)

I'm sorry if i offended anyone who does not have the good fortune to receive good medical care (oxymoron-lol!). There are churches everywhere and that was one of the resources I was going to use. There were several churches (that I knew about) that had money put aside for MI patients without ins. Might be worth checking into. Also, another idea, if you do have ins. or access to healthcare, is going out of county an option? I know transportation can be an issue. i wish there was a place to donate all the old, expensive meds. that you no longer take. I can see how that would not be good, though, but it sucks to have so many supplies of expensive meds. that I don't use. I don't throw them away because I've changed meds. so many times, I figure I can use them again. I guess that might sound really bad. I hate wasting food, too. I used to work with homeless people and families who hadn't eaten in days and I am loath to waste anything. It makes me kind of a hoarder. Sorry for getting off course. I just wish I could help. Have you contacted the pharma. co.? I know they have "indigent forms" and you don't have to be indigent. Hope this helps.