CrazyBoards.org

Which benzo is known to help as a muscle relaxer?

Olivia I went over to CrazyBoards and looked up klonopin. It didn't say anything about muscle relaxing, but it is considered to have a strong anti-seizure action.  This might mean nothing as I really do not know a lot about seizures, but to my way of thinking, one would want something relaxing to avoid seizures.  I'm probably full of it so your best bet would be a call to your pharmacist or pdoc.  Good luck

Olivia-

She was first prescribed Xanax but is now taking Klonopin. She was griping about the Xanax pooping out on her so I suggested she ask for K which she did. She takes 3 mg./day.

BTW- she also has GAD and weaned herself off Trazadone. She also took Methadone for a few years.

The anti-seizure property/action is all brain related--nothing to do with muscles and such.  As far as I know (mostly from what I've read from other users here) Valium is the way to go if you want a benzo with muscle relaxant properties. 

Karen

Olivia-

Face it, you're going to need a benzo and a painkiller. Benzo for anxiety, painkiller for pain. Don't know the extent of your back damage and I am not a doc but you can go from Tylenol to Methadone, probably somewhere in between depending on the severity of pain.

Olivia,

I do not know how severe your back pain is, so I can't say whether you need a pain med.

But as far as muscle relaxers go: I have degenerative disks in my neck, cervical disks 2,3, & 5. A neurologist Rx'd Skelaxin 800mg x3 a day. Skelaxin is a muscle relaxer and is one with a low drowsiness side effect. It took a couple months to really get the full effect but once it did my pain is nearly gone unless I do too much activity that puts strain on my neck. The weather is a factor. Some of my old injuries always ache more during certain weather conditions. Also, my monthly cycle seems to have an effect on the level of pain. Sleep position is another factor that determines the amount of pain I have the next day. I don't know if any of these factors are involved with your level of back pain. 

I also take klonopin for GAD. I had stopped taking the klonopin for a while but when my neck pain become moderate to severe my pdoc Rx'd the klonopin again to see if it would help. It helped the GAD but not the neck pain that is when I went to see a neurologist.

Like Karen said, I think Valium is the only benzo that really has any muscle relaxer properties but I believe it is mainly on large muscles. I occasionally have to take valium when the anxiety is severe and the klonopin is not cutting it. The pain-anxiety cycle can be a vicious cycle.

Erika

PS I do not know what other MI Dx's you may have but Cymbalta is also used for neuropathic pain and works for some people. I have read an article that Wellbutrin may also work for some chronic pain. I don't know if you would be able to take wither of those meds though.

Archived