CrazyBoards.org

Undiagnosed BPII?

I started with postpartum depression, have been on every SSRI under the sun and am now on my last one (Lexapro) and have tried all the ones in my sig line. But I have these crazy alternating states of anxiety (horrid, horrid anxiety and worry) and depression that is really deep where I sleep all the time. I have made some rash decisions... shopping sprees, filed for divorce, sexual promiscuity, partying a lot, trying new drugs.... and now am really starting to wonder if it's more than just 'major depression.'

Do I call my psychiatrist tomorrow and ask about starting lamictal to see if it helps?

In 2005 I began having alternating anxiety and depression (3 days anxiety, 1 day normal, 3 days depression, 1 day normal, repeat) which eventually led to my being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. It is possible (and if you haven't checked out http://www.psycheducation.org, I recommend it).

I would encourage you to call your psychiatrist tomorrow and say that you are having some symptoms that sound like symptoms you've heard about for bipolar disorder, and could you make an appointment to talk more. Sometimes psychiatrists have negative reactions to people jumping ahead of an official diagnosis, and it would suck for that that to get in your way. If he does believe you have bipolar disorder, it's also possible that he would want to start you on something else first (or instead), like lithium or depakote. Lamictal takes a very long time to build up to a therapeutic dosage, even though it can be great once you're there.

i'd check with your pdoc to see if it could be bipolar disorder. keep mood charts- moodtracker.com has one that is online and incorporates the anxiety component- and make sure you take them to your pdoc. even if you only have a few days worth of charts, they can be really useful in making a DX.

Archived