CrazyBoards.org

So I don't do e's very often but would like the option to partake if I want. I'm on 20mg Lexapro.

Was thinking if I was planning a night could possibly go off meds for couple of days before.

Any suggestions or personal experiences?

Also, i've read a lot of people drink more alcohol on Lexapro and don't get drunk. I don't desire alcohol anymore than usual but am finding i get drunk much easier. Anyone else the same?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bimbo, welcome.

The purpose of the forum is to help one another avoid drug abuse. I'm sorry, but we are not going to make suggestions on how you can use illegal street drugs or misuse legal ones.

Lexapro is an SSRI, Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, meaning it increases serotonin. MDMA or Ecstasy, broadly increases neurotransmitters including dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin.

Your doctor has selected Lexapro because it is narrow scope and only increases serotonin. As you are aware even minor changes in dosage can have dramatic effect on how you feel and function. By taking MDMA you are taking an uncontrolled dosage of a drug that hits multiple transmitters, the opposite of what your doctor wanted, and increasing your serotonin levels an unknown amount. MDMA is reported to cause damage to the neurotransmitter system from the first use. I won't even go into the several hundred deaths each year from its use.

You already know you have a bent brain. Taking MDMA is like playing russian roulette with your brain. When you win, there is no gain, you just don't die.

Be careful with the alcohol. Crazy meds often have variable effects when mixed with Etoh. Keep in mind that no matter what the subjective feeling, your body still gets inebriated increasing your chance of getting hurt from driving or even falling down. Alcohol is a depressant and effects moods and sleep for 2 -3 days after ingesting. Most often it increases depression, for bipolars it can increase mood volatility.

a.m.

Hi Bimbo, welcome.

The purpose of the forum is to help one another avoid drug abuse. I'm sorry, but we are not going to make suggestions on how you can use illegal street drugs or misuse legal ones.

But I'll reply with a straightforward answer to an honest question anyway.

The biggest deal about X is that it combines some of the euphoria and mood uplift of speed (noradrenaline release plus dopamine release) with a massive serotonin release and strong reuptake inhibition. The key term from a neurology point of view is release - it takes whatever you have on hand and dumps it into your nerve synapses. When the drug is gone, so is two or three days' worth of neurotransmitters, one of which you don't have to spare.

So after your weekend of partying, including a few hours of feeling better than you can normally feel without artificial help, you'll afterwards feel worse than even your friends are willing to admit and have to restart the Lexapro from scratch. In the interim you'll be remembering how great you felt and thinking about how much you'd give to feel that good again. It takes 8 hours for X to wash out. It can easily take 8 DAYS for Lexapro to kick back in.

Physically, the NA release leaves a person a LOT more at risk for heat injuries. The serotonin release jacks up core body temperatures - a huge risk for heat injury affecting the brain. The stupid thing can't really take temperatures over 102F for long. X users do both AND your friends are likely to take you out dancing - an aerobic activity. With the speed effects you'll stay awake and ignore fatigue longer = more aerobics. You'll be in a hot humid club = one of the worst places for aerobics. You'll need a gallon or more of water to stay cool internally, but you won't be thirsty, your stomach won't stand for that, and bottled water is expensive... And if you do manage that, you'll wash out and sweat out too much electrolytes. (I'm not kidding. What the link doesn't mention is that electolyte imbalance can set off seizures - speed and company lower the threshold for that anyway - or stop a heart.) But the serotonin side of things will keep you from worrying about it. Your friends might worry about you intellectually, but won't be able to really care about your safety until they crash. You could be very sick or rather dead by then. It's the worst fucking possible way of using that drug responsibly, and makes it one of the easiest drugs to die on without OD'ing.

I know you just skipped over most if not all of the previous paragraph. Try it again until you understand what I just said. If you just can't be bothered, the human race doesn't need you in the gene pool anyway.

Now here's the other side of the equation - a lot of the stuff sold as X isn't. Usually there's Speed, BZP, and/or caffeine. If you have any anxiety issues as part of your depression, taking any of that while skipping your AD can be a recipe for misery. "Herbal ecstacy" is usually caffeine and ephedra, which gives you all of the heat stroke risk and none of the good feelings.

If you do manage to be one of the folks who burns out receptors on the first try (shown in the lab, not demonstrated under controlled conditions in humans,) your SSRI may not work as well as it had for a long time if ever. If you think a few trips would still be worth it, you do need to talk to your doctor about what you are on and why, as soon as possible.

As an adjunct for PTSD patients who need a LOT of help getting out the rough stuff in therapy, X could eventually see Schedule II usage. But for anyone on or needing an SSRI or SNRI it's a fucking stupid waste to use X.

Hi BIMBO,

With all the serotonin reuptake inhibition going on with the E and the Lexapro you are probably putting yourself at risk for serotonin syndrome, which can kill you. Even the E by itself will probably be a big risk. Hard drugs are just not good for the body and mind. I've done it a couple of times (how risky is it to admit stuff like this?) and I wonder what damage it may have done to my brain.

I doubt alcohol is good for you either, but if you are the kind of person who just wants to imbibe every now and then (by now and then I mean once a week at the VERY most, and not to the point that it makes you sick), then I don't think it is a big deal. However, I don't get the feeling that you are the kind of person that can do that. Also when you drink alcohol you increase your risk of having a seizure because both meds and alcohol lower your seizure threshold. I drink occasionally and find that meds increase my alcohol tolerance. Not good for the liver. For some people it has the opposite effect. I hope we don't turn you off to this site but we are just trying to help.

With all the serotonin reuptake inhibition going on with the E and the Lexapro you are probably putting yourself at risk for serotonin syndrome, which can kill you.

I would just like to reiterate that serotonin syndrome is Really Bad for you, and even if it doesn't kill you, it still sucks a lot. It will make you completely and totally miserable (go look at the list of symptoms; they're not my idea of a good time), which is not generally anyone's goal with either prescribed medication or recreational drug use. Lexapro has a long enough half life that it would take several days for there to be a negligible amount left in your system. Stopping it suddenly like that might not be terribly fun, either. It's good to know what you're getting into before making decisions about stuff like that, so it's probably a good thing you asked, since as everyone else has pointed out, some things just don't play nice together.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I've taken ecstasy many times over the years but never when I was on meds. I don't think there's any thing wrong with recreational drug use, but you should know the risks and make informed decisions.

After hearing from everyone and doing some research, i've decided that it's definately not a good idea for me to take party drugs... which is a shame because regardless of the hard come downs, it was nice to escape reality 3 or 4 times a year with my friends. But such is life.

As far as the alcohol question goes, I was just curious of other peoples experiences because i'm finding I now get drunk after not ingesting that much alcohol. I don't have a huge problem with drinking, just like to not be drunk after only a few wines.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I've taken ecstasy many times over the years but never when I was on meds. I don't think there's any thing wrong with recreational drug use, but you should know the risks and make informed decisions.

Personally, I agree with that position. The problem is that much of the useful information for making informed decisions really only deals with people who have no mental illness and no other medications in the picture. In those cases, the informed decision is often to skip the drug.

As to alcohol: on

• Wellbutrin I could not stand alcohol at all,
  • Lexapro made me too miserable to drink,
  • Norpramin makes alcohol hit way too hard and I don't enjoy it much even when it doesn't

My standard suggestion: at a bar, order cocktails with only the mixer and garnish. The people around you cannot tell the difference. As a restaurant, only order wine if others are interested too, so that you can share the bottle (I think that's the preferred etiquette anyway). For beer, stick to one with the meal, iced tea or water before/after. Also, always order something new and unusual - you can always say you just don't like it if you can't finish it, or it's too expensive to reorder if you do like it.

That may be a decent general approach to life. I'll have to think about that.

You pretty much need to decide what your goal is as far as brain functioning. Do you want to try and get your brain working right or do you want to put it in the blender because it's fun? They are mutually exclusive goals. If you try to do both you'll just be spinning your wheels at best.

• 1 month later...

So I don't do e's very often but would like the option to partake if I want. I'm on 20mg Lexapro.

Was thinking if I was planning a night could possibly go off meds for couple of days before.

Any suggestions or personal experiences?

Also, i've read a lot of people drink more alcohol on Lexapro and don't get drunk. I don't desire alcohol anymore than usual but am finding i get drunk much easier. Anyone else the same?

I took ecstacy several times on Lexapro. I couldn't understand why I wasn't feeling it as strong as my friends were. Then I found out that SSRIs basically cancel out the MDMA. So the next time I took it, I went off my Lexapro for 4 days first. Then I had a great trip. But, I doubt going off SSRIs like that is smart. I don't waste money on E anymore. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest dont care

Would these dumbasses about drugs r bad get a life i take a 80 grams of lexapro and still feels the same im doing X as soon as posible.

I cant posible feeling any worse and ..dont say i can cause iv been on 515 over 5 times this year so call it a suicide...my life my death dont jugde...on what makes me feel better if STREET drugs help more then lexapro then i wonder what im going to do

Would these dumbasses about drugs r bad get a life i take a 80 grams of lexapro and still feels the same im doing X as soon as posible.

I cant posible feeling any worse and ..dont say i can cause iv been on 515 over 5 times this year so call it a suicide...my life my death dont jugde...on what makes me feel better if STREET drugs help more then lexapro then i wonder what im going to do

Well, it's obvious that street drugs have done wonders for your grammar, spelling and punctuation. Come back when you have something intelligent to say and can write it so that people can read it.

olga

I've taken X on ten mg lexapro.

Don't bother because you won't roll. And if you go off your meds you *might* roll, although the residual effects of the meds might prevent that. Or you might feel so shitty that you have a severe episode, because you aren't on your meds, and miss the fun. Or, if, like me, you stop your meds the week before a concert that you really want to see, bc you didnt roll the first time you took X bc you were on your meds, you might find yourself in the bathroom, pissing off your friends going "Thom Yorke is going to die, and then there won't be anymore Radiohead!" because MDA doesn't just enhance good emotions, it enhances ALL emotions, like sadness. Not trying to be a dick but it really isnt worth it just to get high. Trust me.

Guest Aurochs

I've seen two things postulated in this thread that seem to be opposites, and for clarity's sake I'd like to know which one is the case. The first is the MDMA's euphoric effects are pretty much cancelled out by SSRIs. This is what I remember being told before, probably back in the old CM/CB days. The conventional wisdom was that "You can't roll on E(X)." Also in this thread people have said you cause more serotonin to be dumped in your brain, which sounds like you're increasing the effects of the drugs by piggybacking them (and possibly causing serotonin syndrome). Can anyone clarify this? I've heard both and I'm curious to know which is true.

From what I understand, MDMA gets into the neuron through the serotonin transporter. SSRIs by definition block serotonin transporters. So, the E can't get into the neuron, and if it can't get into the neuron, it'll have no effect.

• 7 months later...
Guest SantaFeGrrl

I've taken X on ten mg lexapro.

Don't bother because you won't roll. And if you go off your meds you *might* roll, although the residual effects of the meds might prevent that. Or you might feel so shitty that you have a severe episode, because you aren't on your meds, and miss the fun. Or, if, like me, you stop your meds the week before a concert that you really want to see, bc you didnt roll the first time you took X bc you were on your meds, you might find yourself in the bathroom, pissing off your friends going "Thom Yorke is going to die, and then there won't be anymore Radiohead!" because MDA doesn't just enhance good emotions, it enhances ALL emotions, like sadness. Not trying to be a dick but it really isnt worth it just to get high. Trust me.

I'm so sorry, I don't mean to lighten up the mood or anything - but that is the most hilarious post I've seen today. Poor thing in the bathroom, beating your brains out with horrifying fantasies of Radiohead 'ending'.

I searched and started reading this post because I started Lex today - and I used to do a lot of E years ago (I mean, we'd throw down 13 doses in a night sometimes). Since about ONE HOUR after taking 5 mg, I feel exactly as if I'm at the end of an E trip, and it's not at all comfortable. I'm not even sure I could drive right now if I wanted to. Thoughts anyone?

I'm so sorry, I don't mean to lighten up the mood or anything - but that is the most hilarious post I've seen today. Poor thing in the bathroom, beating your brains out with horrifying fantasies of Radiohead 'ending'.

What's horrifying about that? ;)

I searched and started reading this post because I started Lex today - and I used to do a lot of E years ago (I mean, we'd throw down 13 doses in a night sometimes). Since about ONE HOUR after taking 5 mg, I feel exactly as if I'm at the end of an E trip, and it's not at all comfortable. I'm not even sure I could drive right now if I wanted to. Thoughts anyone?

Part of how X works is by forcing a massive serotonin release, adn then slowing down the body's ability to mop up the excess.

SSRIs like Lexapro work by locking that mop up in the hopes that the "excess" will get you up to an effective working amount.

For now I'd say this is a side effect that should resolve itself. If it doesn't, you'll need to see your doctor because eventually you need to be able to drive, function in society, assassinate the lead singer of Radiohead, all that stuff.

Archived