CrazyBoards.org

wellbutrin sr vs wellbutrin xl

has anyone started on wellbutrin sr, and switched to xl, and found it less effective? I recently switched (about 2 weeks ago) and have been very depressed ever since, even though my dose went up 50mg.

the XL version is supposed to have a reduced seizure risk and lower your chances of insomnia; that i think might indicate it's a bit less activating and so might well mean that it isn't doing what you want it to do, upped dose or no. i had some annoying toothgrinding on the SR that went away with a switch to XL. it didn't do very much for me in either format, so it's hard to compare.

the SR tablets come in much prettier colours, though.

see if you can switch back, maybe?

the XL version is supposed to have a reduced seizure risk and lower your chances of insomnia;

Personal feelings about WB and insomnia aside, GSK's data did show a significantly reduced risk of seizure with the XL.

Although bupropion's active metabolites have fairly long half-lives, spreading out the release may make it easier for the liver to metabolize bupropion to those metabolites. Translation: a smoother ride up to target blood levels at the cost of whatever benefit an individual may get from peaking levels.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dr. Bill

the XL version is supposed to have a reduced seizure risk and lower your chances of insomnia; that i think might indicate it's a bit less activating and so might well mean that it isn't doing what you want it to do, upped dose or no. i had some annoying toothgrinding on the SR that went away with a switch to XL. it didn't do very much for me in either format, so it's hard to compare.

the SR tablets come in much prettier colours, though.

see if you can switch back, maybe?

XL is releases in 24 hrs

SR( CR) is released in 12 hours

• 1 month later...

Generally, slower release forms are better, so XL is better than SR and SR is better than immediate release, but not always. Slower release formulations may achieve lower plasma concentrations.

In a study peak plasma concentrations of bupropion at steady state for SR Tablets were approximately 85% of those achieved with the immediate-release formulation (this is from PDR).

Archived