CrazyBoards.org

Family members Dxed w/ BP

How many family members of yours are Diagnosed with Bipolar?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How many family members of yours are Diagnosed with Bipolar?

• 6+

Just me. At least I am the only one diagnosed as bipolar. Actually my cousin on my mother's side committed suicide last month, could have been bi-polar.  And my grandmother on my father's side suffered my bad depression and in hindsight could have been bipolar. 

If you counted the BPs in our extended family, we could fill a banquet hall. Easy.

(If major depression, OCD, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's disease, unexplained migraines, substance abuse issues, anxiety disorders, childhood neglect issues, eating disorders, or miscellaneous severe phobias was also counted, the only way you could fit in all those relatives was if you rented a circus tent. And a fine freak show we'd make indeed.)

Just my grandfather on my dad's side and myself.  I learn a little more about him day after day and find I'm becoming more and more like him.  That scares the absolute shit out of me!  He was a mean sonofabitch.

Only I have been dx'd Bipolar, and I think it's an apt enough dx; but my siblings have got some messed up OCD and anxiety issues, my mother is a sociopath with personality disorder TBD, and grandparents on both sides were treated for anxiety, depression, etc., back in the day. One even got the old ECT because he wouldn't behave appropriately.

edited to add that my last sentence was a commentary on the crappy, condescending attitude of my grandfather's doctors, not about ECT itself.

Try to include broths, sis, parents, grandparents only.

By your criteria, none. By my pdocs' criteria, 4 (other than me): 1 aunt, 1 cousin, 1 great-aunt, 1 great-uncle...at least. As far as other diagnoses, just about everyone on my mother's side has at least one (everything from Tourette's and OCD to panic disorder and unipolar depression).

None diagnosed, but if any of them actually got help for their revolting pathological madness/alcoholism/etc, I wouldn't be surprised if at LEAST 3 of them got the dx.  (that's immediate fam - brothers, sister and parents)

Guest Llamanator

Four. Me, my dad, my dad's brother, and a cousin on my dad's side. Also, nearly 20 alcoholics (other cousin on dad's side, grandmother, an aunt, and my grandfather and nearly all of his brothers and sisters, of which there were 15.)

An aunt on my father's side, and a cousin (her daughter). My paternal grandmother and father were not diagnosed, but strongly suspected of being bipolar. My mother's side of the family has a long history of mood disorders - I have a cousin on my mother's side who's bipolar, and my great-grandmother committed suicide.

Just my grandfather on my dad's side and myself.  I learn a little more about him day after day and find I'm becoming more and more like him.  That scares the absolute shit out of me!  He was a mean sonofabitch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have your femaleness on your side.  You won't be completely like him. I have a mean sonofabitch father. Isn't it strange how the meaner they are, the longer they live?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Either my mom is bipolar or spaca liens kidnap her on a regular basis and completely switch her personality.

And grandma alternated between soft toned lanscape paintings and dark paintings of demons and evil elves.

I'm the lonely only diagnosed bipolar in a big unhappy family of undiagnosed nutjobs.  Mom unipolar depression, Dad probably bipolar with liberal dabs of anxiety disorder, Sis BP for sure plus epileptic, anxiety disorder, crippling paranoia, possible schizoaffective features (she's gotten better recently and I'd bet my bippy she's changed epilepsy meds).  Bro is adopted but nevertheless has panic disorder and depression.  Maternal grandma depressed, grandpa violent, probably BP/depressed.  Paternal grandpa strangely normalish, with some unusual risk taking in youth.  On the other hand he remarried a wildly bipolar Polish concentration camp survivor who spent several months a year in the hospital.

But I'm the only weenie who got diagnosed and went for help for MI, as far as I know.  My family comes from the Eastern European "life is pain" school of thought.  Which is why I now live across the continent from them.

My mom is dx'd bipolar with panic/anxiety issues.  2 Cousins with OCD, one also has depression & the other has panic/anxiety.  I married a bipolar that I thought was just extremely horny all the time...my bad.  I, however,  am perfectly normal  ;)

~Peace~

Kim

Archived