CrazyBoards.org

May Be Losing My License

Ok. So due to a suicide attempt earlier this year, I have this form from DMV sent to me. I ve had to have the forms filled out by my other Pdoc, but I have a new one now.

On the last page of this form there are two questions, which go a little something like this:

Do you feel that your client has a condition that impairs their ability to drive, and

Do you feel that your client needs a road test?

My new pdoc answered yes to both questions and now I have to take a road test on monday. While I think I can pass the road test, im still in jepardy of losing my license b/c a bunch of police officers get together to decide if I can retain the privilage of driving after I take the road test.

When I questioned my Pdoc about his answers, he told me that he answers yes to those questions b/c he puts his client on heavy meds that can impair driving. But the cops are gonna think its my condition and not the meds that prevent me from being a safe driver, which I am.

I am so pissed. I no longer wish to see this Pdoc for treatment, but hes kinda a packaged deal with the mental health people I see. Does anyone know anything about not following treatment? Can he stop writting my scrips if I stop seeing him?

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else.

Any and all replies will be muchly appriciated.

I, personally, have never had this happen to me. Driving has never been brought up with my pdoc and I doubt that it ever will be, but...

Maybe you could request that your doctor write a letter going off of what he said to you: That you are on medications which effect everyone differently and that he is requesting the road test to verify that you are alright to drive, NOT that he thinks you are an incompetent driver.

There is a difference between him covering his ass and him saying you aren't able to drive safely. If you submit the letter with your other paperwork, it may make a difference. Especially since the clarification is needed between a possibility of your medications effecting you, which can be observed, and your condition effecting you, which in this case can't always be observed during a driving test.

The thing about not following treatment is that you don't have ANYONE saying anything regarding your condition and your ability to drive. And yes, he can and likely will stop writing scripts for you if you stop seeing him. You may also be seen as "non-compliant" which means "difficult to work with" and it's just better to not be labeled like that, because [in my experience anyway] people are not usually that understanding when it comes to the whys of stopping medications.

I think your doctor gave reasonable answers as to why he marked yes to both of them, but I think he could go further to help you out in this situation.

Ask for the letter,though, I don't know the specifics of your system, but it may make a difference if there is a review process beyond the drivers test.

I just saw an interesting piece on a young man from a famous racing family, who basically had to take 6-8 mohths off, after being dx'd with ADD "and a buncvh of other tuff" as he says, and being put on a miriad of medications. To the point where he did not feel safe in his chosen occupation, driving a race car. He has since been to extensive and intensive rehad, to learn to cope without the medications that endangered a very promising career.

There, but for the grace of our pdocs, go all of us--

china

Wow, yours is the report of having suicide attempt linked to automatic review of driving privileges. Do you mind telling us what state you are in?

Your pdoc is very cautious and has placed the decision out of his hands into the hands of the driving professionals. In doing so he is also removing himself from the decision so that he is impartial and can continue to treat you, no matter the outcome of your tests.

The road test is going to be objective just the same as you had when you first were licensed, and the same as anyone else has that day.

Most states have drivers medical review boards of some sort. I highly doubt that it will be composed of police officers. Usually it is a couple doctors, maybe a nurse and an administrator from the MVA. The state police don't want to waste a trained officer sitting on boards when he can be on the street.

As far as non-compliance... First, consider what is best for your health. You already know you can't "think" yourself well. You need the meds. If you stop seeing the pdoc, he WILL refuse to refill your scrips. It is only prudent and responsible on his part. He can't give meds to someone he doesn't see.

Think positive. Get on the web and read the latest Drivers Manual. It will be a good refresher, and some things have changed since you first started driving.

Good luck!

a.m.

p.s. Look both ways and use your blinker. ;)

Well, it sounds like if the reason for the test is your medication; by going off those meds, you could get your license back (as long as that reason is submitted with the paperwork). You may have to take the test again if you don't pass for some reason.. but it is an option.

I know you probably don't want to stop taking anything - and you'll probably pass just fine anyway - but just between you and me.. switching pdocs could get you that letter without really going off anything.

i'm pretty sure the condition is the cause for the evaluation, not the drugs themselves. in my experience, at least -- and i've never been licensed to drive, i've only had learner's permits, and in a different state -- the information from the doctor relates to the condition itself. such forms are used, in different places, to cover everything from panic attacks to heart attacks.

i do think the doc was being over-cautious, and that is unfortunate. it also sounds, from your post at least, that he misunderstood the questions the forms asked: his reply, that he 'puts his clients on heavy meds', makes it sound like he ticks those boxes as a matter of course, without considering the particular case of the patient involved. that is not what he's supposed to do. the question is not whether hypothetical people on sedatives (or whatever) should be driving, but whether you in particular should be driving.

that said, i don't think you'll have a problem with the road test, and the panels they use aren't cops. at least in MD, they have a mix of traffic officers and doctors to review each case individually. i don't think you're at all likely to lose your license. it's a hassle to take the test, but you shouldn't worry too much about it.

whatever you do, don't go off your meds. that won't fix a thing. you're already flagged in the DMV files anyway, and you can't just ring them up and say 'hey, i went off my pills, you don't have to give me that test now!

stopping meds will just make you feel like shit, make you less likely to do well in the road test, and make you look 'non-compliant'. you'll still have to do the road test, and the pdoc may have to write them a letter, either way. if you don't feel comfortable with the pdoc, and you can switch, by all means do. either way, though, you should keep taking everything as RXd.

AM, re: the reporting process, it comes up when you apply for a license or renew, that i know. there's a box on part of the application that asks you to disclose if you have any of the listed conditions. (i don't actually know what happens if you say yes, because i always lied.)

i'm pretty sure docs are required, at least in some states, to notify the DMV for patients with certain conditions. as i don't drive, i've never had it come up, but that's what neurologists in two states have said. my current one has told me that if i do apply, his role is to provide a letter stating that i'm safe to drive, which would be part of the information the panel would consider.

i've never had a pdoc do any notifying, so i don't know if that process differs. i was under the impression that, usually, things for which one sees a pdoc are not of the sort which would trigger a license review.

The Review comes up because everytime I go to the hospital on an overdose they call the cops. The cops file a report with themselves that then gets sent to the DMV.

Ive had to do this paperwork before, just with a different doctor who didnt make Yes as a matter of course. I really have no Idea if they are going to take my license, I just know that without one my life would literally be hell.

am thanks for the link

Selene

Wow--best thing that every happened to me, apparently, is that when I did my "mock Klonopin OD" the ER and hospital, tho they treated and admitted me, NEVER mentioned "suicide attempt/gesture/OD"--I was admitted for "depression"

When the cops are involved your privacy goes right out the window--

china

AM I looked at the link you gave me and I think that might be for oahu. Im on the big island. Ill do some digging though to find out whos who on our island.

I am praying feverously that I dont lose my license. Making deals kinda thing.

Selene

Congrats!!!

Honestly, there have been times that I was so depressed, I shouldn't have been driving. That's when I have had fender benders. But I would be seriously pissed if my pdoc said I couldn't drive.

Archived