CrazyBoards.org

numb after migraines

i don't know if my headaches are technically migraines. i've had one doctor who thought so and two who didn't.

anyway, this one has been building for two weeks and it finally broke last night. i love when they break. it hurts so badly i can't function, but then it's gone. well, this morning i am numb in my arms and legs and my fingers are pins and needles. i feel thick tongued and dopey. this usually happens the next day.

the headaches are always in the same place. the spot just under my skull behind both ears, maybe a little lower than my ears are. i also usually feel it pound behind my eye. it feels like i have something under my skull that is under too much pressure and if i could stick a needle under the skull, all the pressure could come out and it wouldn't hurt. and then the pressure builds until it's going to push my eyeballs out.

after a headache i'm lethargic for a day. so i'm always glad when they hit on weekends.

is that a normal migraine?

my one doctor told me to get to a neurologist and get an mri, but i didn't have the money. i was forced to go to ER without insurance and had a cat scan because i'd missed work too often from them two years ago. so it was an ER doc who said that.

is there anything that helps the numb and tingling? i have chores to get done :/

abi

Having a down period after a migraine isn't unusual, though maybe your symptoms are a little more unusual than most. It would be prudent to see a neurologist about it, especially since you are having such intense postdrome symptoms.

What do you mean by it building up? What happens when you know you are going to have a migraine/headache/whatever it is you are having?

If you are having migraines, what would help is meds.

Sorry, I didn't sleep last night. I'm sort of useless right now but I'm interested in what happens before hand and if you described your symptoms afterward o your doctors and what did they think it was?

What were the results of the ct scan? Does it feel different if you are moving, resting, standing, or laying down? Though I'm no neurologist, I've had LOTS of mri's and ct scans and apparently symptoms such as that mean -- as long as it's not a tumor or a leak or something like that -- it's probably a migraine. And most people's scans do come out negative.

"Rarely, migraines can cause unusual neurological symptoms such as dizziness, loss of vision, passing out, numbness, weakness or tingling."

http://womenshealth.aetna.com/WH/ihtWH/r.W...40/t.48367.html - Basics

http://womenshealth.aetna.com/WH/ihtWH/r.W...40/t.48425.html - Migraine Types

about two weeks before the headache hits in full, i'm a bit dizzy, i have milder headaches off and on, more fatigue, trouble concentrating... and then for two days or so it builds tighter and tighter in my head and i feel really ill. like i have the flu or something. and then it starts really pounding, i can't stand light, i'm dizzy, i can't eat, i get numb areas in my arms and legs, muscle cramps are more likely, and then when it hits fully, i lie in a cool room with the lights off and hopefully pass out and sleep twelve hours and wake up with the whole back of my head feeling bruised to the touch. my speech is slurred through the worse of the headache and the risidual the next day.

the pain lasts until i get that twelve hours of sleep, too. last night i was able to take a vicodin which helped me sleep, it took some of the edge off. heat directly applied hurts like hell, but in a good way, and helps me relax. massage helps me relax and eases the pain during, but it comes right back when the massage stops.

for a day or two, i have the numbness and my muscles all ache, i feel groggy, and i find it hard to concentrate. then it clears up. they hit every two or three months.

the ER physician said it sounded like migraines, the cat scan was normal, but he strongly suggested i get an MRI... he looked rather concerned when i said i coudln't afford to and said it should be first on my list when i get insurance. i think the fact that it always starts on the left side behind my ear and then moves to the right side, same area, was what concerned him.

abigail

my friend is studying medicine and he directed me to this disease and it sounds very like...

he said it probably isn't an actual heart murmur i have.

isn't that cool? 'course, i can't get any confirmation until i get insurance, but it's neat to know!

abi

What you are describing sounds similar to a basilar migraine. I mean, your aura is lengthy, but a lot of the time they can be several days. Yours might be. There is also the period before the aura, which could be a build up period.

Just some info if you are interested:

http://www.migraine-aura.org/EN/ICHD-II_1....e_migraine.html

http://www.headaches.org/consumer/topicshe...larmigrane.html

Keep in mind that aura, headache don't always follow in that order. Sometimes you get headache then aura or headache while aura is happening. Or no headache at all.

The Migraine Attack- A Clinical Description

I really like that one.

Archived