CrazyBoards.org

lamictal for the normally dysthymic?

my pdoc is looking at prescribing me lamictal for mood cycling in addition to the lithium, risperdal, and topamax I take which don't keep me from getting depressed.  does anyone know if it will help raise the mood of someone who is mildly depressed - e.g. that's not a swing, that's their normal?

A search on Pubmed (in the past, direct-linking to search results just takes you to the search page unless Google took a picture of it) for articles on "lamotrigine" and "dysthymia" found three articles.

The third one deals with dysthymia and makes no mention of epilepsy, unlike the first two. The second article ("two") is entitled, "Lamotrigine Monotherapy Improves Depressive Symptoms in Epilepsy: A Double-Blind Comparison with Valproate." The first (at the top of the search page) is called, "Lamotrigine monotherapy improves health-related quality of life in epilepsy: a double-blind comparison with valproate."

Enjoy.

I am wondering why your doctor is looking at looking at prescribing another mood stabilizer.  Dysthmic disorder is a chronic form of depression during which your depressive symptoms never meet the criteria for major depression.  I believe that it is diagnosed after 2 years of these mild depressive symptoms.  You aren't on an antidepressant which is a little unusual.  You mentioned that you experience mood swings which aren't big mood swings.  There are a lot of people who don't meet the criteria for bipolar but take a mood stabilizer for this moodiness.  The Lithium and Topamax are mood stabilizers.  The Risperdal is an antipsychotic that is also used to treat mania.  Lamictal could be an option since it has antidepressant properties.  It isn't approved for that, but the prescribing info mentions that the studies show that while it has significant effects on both depression and mania,  these effects have a more "robust" impact on depression.  You can get a lot of Lamictal info here from satisfied customers.

Katie ;)

You may want to make sure that you don't mean cyclothymic disorder.  That is a gentler disorder than bipolar disorder.  The swings range from hypomania to mild depression.

My drugs are for bipolar II.  I definitely have swings into major depression, it's just that my baseline mood state isn't 'normal' and I worried that the lamictal would keep me in my baseline state.  Apologies for the confusion.  Thank you for those links, strungoutonlife, those were helpful.

My drugs are for bipolar II.  I definitely have swings into major depression, it's just that my baseline mood state isn't 'normal' and I worried that the lamictal would keep me in my baseline state.  Apologies for the confusion.  Thank you for those links, strungoutonlife, those were helpful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're welcome.

Archived