CrazyBoards.org

anxious about going to dentist

Hi All:

Feel free to move if I put this in the wrong area.

during my pregnancy I ate a lot of ice. A LOT. I figured this was better than eating dirt or licking the side of the pool (wierd-ass preggers conditions called "pita.")

towards end of pregnancy i started having tooth pain in the back of my mouth.

friday, whatever was going on, part of the tooth came out of my mouth. i saved it...but only for "interesting" purposes...the chip was part tooth, part "filling," and really small.

i know this needs to be taken care of.

however i am horrified of going to dentist for the following reasons:

1. its been about 6-7 years since my last dental visit

2. my teeth & gums need some serious work - stuff that would require surgery, orthodontic work, receding gums...you name it and it is wrong with my teeth.

luckily, i do have a dental HMO plan...although finding a dentist in BFE, CA is also part of the issue....but i know that insurance stuff can be worked out...its more important to get the treatment.

so - i dont wanna hear the lectures from dentist & workers. i brush & floss everyday. but i really do not have strength to listen to the droning on and on about how i should take better care of my teeth, how i should not have ate so much ice in pregnancy, and how i should have been using my dental insurance for positive things - like regular cleanings.

thats really my anxiety...the lectures dentists give me. and i really cant bear to hear it. and then also to discuss all the work my mouth needs. im "over" my teeth not being straight a long time ago. when i walk into a dental type office, the dentist can forsee me needing so much work that i'll be paying for their kids college educations.

<chipped tooth emoticon>

december

DB, I here you! I went almost as long without seeing a dentist, even though i've had ins. About 2 yrs. ago, I finally went and they told me I had to have a deep root cleaning. oNe half of my mouth at a time. I got the first half done, but have been scared to do the other half. The procedure wasn't bad, but the novacaine happy, former nazi torturer anesthesiologist made my mouth numb for so long, I couldn't stand it. Also, the hygenist lectured me and acted mad at me for going so long without going to the dentist or not flossing. BTW, you have an advantage because you floss.

Saying this, I hope, doesn't scare you. I had a bad experience with a place I didn't like. Before that , I used to enjoy going to the dentist. I guess I need to change dentists. The good thing and the point I'm trying to make, is that the procedure itself wasn't so bad. As for the lectures from the dental professionals, screw them. Take an extra benzo. Maybe it wont' be as bad as you think.

How about this: if you go, I'll go!! My gums are unevenly healthy! Love to you and Sarah! How's she doing? mel

How the heck do they do a "deep root cleaning?"

I have a dental appt on July 25. Other than a root canal emergency, I have not been to the dentist in 5 or 6 yrs, due to no insurance. I'll be paying for that root canal for years to come.

So, I too, am not looking forward to the lecture.

Here's some good advice, though. The last time I did go to the dentist, they were amazed at how healthy my gums were, considering that then, too, it had been years between checkups. My secret? A Sonicare toothbrush. I saw it on Oprah, and it really works well. It is an electric toothbrush, but it also emits sonic waves (or something) that clean your teeth and gums. It costs like $100, but they last for years and years. You can replace the brush heads on it. They're pretty much available everywhere now. Also online.

http://www.sonicare.com/default.asp

Liveoak, what a great idea! I hate flossing. Well, I guess if i actually flossed, I would hate it. A deep root cleaning is when they scrape your teeth deep into your gums with tiny, sharp metal picks. They numb you, so you don't feel it. It is needed when your gums pull away from your teeth, which happens in different degrees depending on your dental hygiene habits. The Sonicare sounds expensive. Maybe after I get my root cleaning I will get one.

I'm only going if DB goes!!

The Sonicare sounds expensive.

==========

I saw it online for $89. Yeah, it sounds like a lot, but when you compare it to the cost of dental work, it's nothing! I think I've seen it for like $50 at places like Target or other discount stores.

ugh, I also know this feeling well. I last went to the dentist in Nov 2004. When I had leg surgery in June last year the anaesthetist chipped two molars at the very back of my mouth with the ventilator thing. For months and months I used the excuse that with a broken hip there was no way I could lie on a dentist's chair for more than about 15 mins, let alone however long it would take to repair my teeth. But I know I should go in and have it done... I just can't bear the thought. I've always been traumatised by dentists.... one of my finest childhood achievements was biting the dentist who also happened to be the mayor of our small town ;)

Seriously, good luck. I'll be chicken and wait to see how you and mel do before I consider making an appointment!

I hate the dentist. I have been putting up with terrible pain in the back of my mouth when I eat cold things for about six months now. I hate the lectures. The "show me how you floss" demand pisses me off. But I'm going to have to go. If you go, I'll go.

Bern

Ugggg! I hate going to the dentist. I have always had bad teeth and have so many broken molars from being smacked around by ex and friends of his that I dread going to the dentist. I have a pretty good one, no questions asked, but I told them when I made the emergency appointment to get an abcessed tooth out that I knew that my teeth are in poor shape and would like to have an over all assessment of what we can do ( i.e. what I can afford) when I could afford one and had panic dis orders and ptsd and didn't want lectures about my teeth...hehehe I was in pain and very cranky

But it might help to have a talk with them before you go in.

Just my under rated little copper bits

*Cringes*

I hope things go well

Best

Panz

Hi All:

well, if i go it will not be this week because i have family visiting from out-of-town and i dont want to be more doped up than i already am (still having some c-section & girlie pain).

the procedures dont scare me. ive had a root planing before...the whole mouth (it took several appointments). so that kind of thing does not scare me. and ive had all 4 wisdom teeth removed...and i was ok and recovered just fine.

its the attitude. of all the dentists ive been to...everyone in their offices talks & acts like they are superior with their perfect teeth. I *try* to take care of my teeth. i floss. i change toothbrushes frequently. clean my tongue....all that stuff. but its never good enough.

well...the way this tooth broke, there is actually a sharp point (the tooth is a back molar) and my tongue rubbing against it feels really bad.

ive been talking to family & friends for references...and so far no one has any. (i guess it goes with the subject).

plus...im feeling very angry and rageful and probably should not take it out on others....so i will wait.

i'll keep everyone updated.

december

Hi, December,

After years of not being able to force myself to go to the dentist, I started going regularly when my son was little and I had to start taking him. I decided that despite my fear and loathing I had to be a good role model.

One time I broke into tears at the dentist and said that I couldn't take this anymore. I'd rather have all my teeth pulled than have one person stick one more sharp metal pick into my mouth.

They were very understanding. It shocked me. After all, I was used to my childhood dentist calling me a crybaby when he filled my teeth without anesthetic.

First of all, get the tooth fixed. it will probably need a crown. I have had two and they are, by far, less invasive and painful than a regular cleaning.

Next, tell them when you make the appointment that you are a total wuss and what can they do to accommodate that. Gas? Twilight sleep? A knock on the head with a 2x4? Just be clear that you'll need some kind of sedation and pain relief especially in the beginning when they're cleaning years of plaque and gunk off your teeth.

DO get an electric toothbrush. No matter what the cost, they really cut down on the scraping and digging during regular cleanings.

Have your hygienist do the tooth polishing first, before the cleaning. It removes nearly all of the plaque! The scraping and digging is reduced by over 50%.

Good luck. Tell yourself to do this now so that you and the babe can get your cleanings together when the time comes.

Greeny

Hi All:

i wanna keep y'all updated because it seems a lot of people have similar issues.

well...either the "avoider" or the "accountant" part of me is coming out. I have a dental HMO. there are no providers in bfe. NONE. I called a dental office corporation located in bfe (meaning they own dental offices throughout the state - i dont wanna name them). and it was gonna cost $94 out of pocket just for the inital consult.

i pay approx $50 a month for my dental HMO. so...im not about to start paying out of pocket fees. when my coverage provides a "free" consult. there are dentists in los angeles that will accept my dental HMO. so whenever i go back down to be with alex - i'll go to a dentist.

decem

I'm terrible about dentist avoidance for all these same reasons. But the last time I really had to go, I did discover that, by being VERY direct and bossy about the fact that I only wanted to deal with this one specific issue, did NOT want to hear a word about whatever else might be wrong right that second, because no matter how dire it might be, there was no way I had either the time or money to do a thing about it, I managed to get them to drop the attitude and just deal with the problem at hand in a matter of fact kind of way.

when the dentist asks you how long it has been since you've been to the dentist, which is usually the first question the dentist asks me, i'd start with not really answering that question (quite yet), but say that you brush and floss daily. then kinda mention that you're afraid of dentists, so you've avoided the dentist "for awhile" and expect you'll need some work, but ask that it be gentle, no matter what it is. if you do tell the dentist that you have good habits but are afraid, the dentist should have an easier bedside manner with you. hopefully.

my dentist is really nice. she doesn't do unnecessary work. i did have to get gum scaling and several fillings the last time i went, but that was it.

my gums were a little receded too due to a bit of plague. that's why she had to get under the gums. it didn't hurt. everyone i know who is older than about 28 (i'm 28) has had to get the gum scaling. it's a really common thing. i think it is just another advance in dentistry and not a reflection of our dental habits. i mean, if everyone has that, then it can't be THAT bad. i don't think you'll get judged for it. if you do, i know you can put the dentist in his or her place!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All:

I made an appointment!!! unfortunately the first available is next week...but within walking distance. (because then i dont have to drive (i dont like driving in los angeles). and through my dental insurance...so the first consult, xrays, etc is free.

whats wierd is that i thought the last time i went to a dentist was last century (so fun to say). but i was looking for some other health records and came across dental xrays dated october 2002. i know in dentist lingo thats too many years ago. but at least it was this century!!!

btw - im not in pain. i just know this tooth needs to be taken care of. and the rest of my mouth as well.

go make your appointments!!! ;)

december

Archived