CrazyBoards.org

I finally feel okay. I don't feel depressed. I can get stuff done. But I feel like I am aabout to fly out of my body. I can't sit still or concentrate. I can't read because I can't sit still long enough. I'm pretty sure this is akathesia -side effect from Abilify, which I've been taking for a week and a half. I can't stand it. Klonopin does not help. I've had to take Ambien to sleep. My mind isn't racing, just my body. Maybe this will help me lose weight! This doesn't seem like mania, but I am scared of the possibility.

Is there a treatment for aka.? I can't take it anymore! I see new pdoc tomorrow and will bring it up. I must have smoked a pack of cigarettes today already and I usually smoke only half a pack or less. I feel like screaming. Does anyone know what I can do to stop this. I mean, assuming it is akathesia and not mania. And is Abilify the culprit? It must be. It is one of 3 meds I take and it's new the others aren't. Please respond if you can give some advice. Thank you.

Sounds like akathisia to me. Ablifiy gave me the same thing. My pdoc said that for some people it can go away, but it just got worse for me.

All you can try are benzos and beta-blockers... with the latter being the most effective.

Abilify has a place among the pharmacological kings of the akathisia league.*** Depending on which malady in the phase III (US FDA approval) trials you look at, between 15% and 20% of people on Abilify experienced akathisia.

Do you feel incredibly impatient? Like an hour feels like a year? For me, that was the major sign of the Zyprexa-induced akathisia I had in 2004.

Treatment for akathisia, as said above, includes benzos and beta-blockers. Viewing akathisia as a form of EPS, some psychiatrists feel that Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and Cogentin (benztropine) have their place in akathisia treatment.

***[EDIT: That sentence has to be one of the most bizarre encephalitis-induced things I've ever said. I couldn't come up with anything simpler.]

What does Cogentin do to you? Any SE's? I can't take Benadryl. Well, at least that is what the med. interaction checker said. I guess I will ask new pdoc. today. I just have a hard time trusting new pdocs. I never know what I'm going to get. I've been through more than a handful and only liked one. HeeHeee. His last name is Lustberg. Heehee...

What does Cogentin do to you? Any SE's? I can't take Benadryl. Well, at least that is what the med. interaction checker said. I guess I will ask new pdoc. today. I just have a hard time trusting new pdocs. I never know what I'm going to get. I've been through more than a handful and only liked one. HeeHeee. His last name is Lustberg. Heehee...

Dr. Mountain of Desire, eh?

Cogentin and Benadryl are both anticholinergics (Benadryl is also an antihistamine in addition, which is why it's taken for allergies). I don't get along with Benadryl either, but I do get along with the other anticholinergics -- I am quite happy now on oxybutynin (Ditropan) right now for malignant hyperhidrosis (i.e. sweating to the point where you get dehydrated, and then continuing to sweat buckets... all while the ambient temperature is 70F).

Main side effects of the anticholinergics in general include dry mouth and urinary retention (neither SE of which I particularly mind, given especially that I'd lost my thirst reflex from getting the relevant part of my brain destroyed by a bug). Some will also give blurry vision - Cogentin is notorious for this. Anticholinergics are just something to try when you can't go on beta-blockers or benzos (or they won't work), so it's something to keep in mind at your next pdoc visit(s).

But I feel like I am about to fly out of my body. I can't sit still or concentrate. I can't read because I can't sit still long enough. I'm pretty sure this is akathesia -side effect from Abilify, which I've been taking for a week and a half.

I had the same problem when we increased the abilify. I felt weird and jittery, like I had too much coffee, but I didn't feel manic. We eased up on the abilify, and it went away but the abilify is still working. I think I'm on 10mg now; 20 was too much.

They started me on 15 mg. at the hospital. My new pdoc I just saw said that that was a really high dose to start with. He is waiting until Thurs. to see if splitting the pill betweeen morn. and 4 pm. will help. If not, he is either going to lower my dose or give me cogentin. He was ok. But I wish I had my old pdoc back. It's so hard to find good help these days.....

And there's something else called, I think, amantadine(?). That one's usually a parkinson's med (again, I think), but is sometimes used for akatheisa as well. I had some akathesia (that word never, ever looks to me like it's spelled right), recently when my seroquel dosage got a little too high, so I was checking out the options. In the end, I reduced my dosage a bit, and the akathesia went away. But I really want my dosage back up, I think, so... I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

wondering again....mania or akathesia? Today, I was talking to dh on the phone and I had to get off because I felt like a rocket about to blast off into outerspace. I took a klonopin and it calmed me down somewhat. I feel like I drank 2 pots of coffee and haven't been sleeping for the past few nights. Well, not without the help of Ambien. I feel like bouncing up and down on the chair. Boing, boing. I was going to go on my treadmill, but was afraid to because I was scared my heartrate would be too fast. This is not the normal "mania" I get- if that's what it is. How do you tell the difference. I see my pdoc Mon. and he doesn't talk to patients unless they are sitting in his office. I would have to go to the outpatient assessment center. Help me I explode!!! Can you safely take seroquel w/ abilify? I have tons of that left. Another klonopin?

The difference between my own personal hypomania and akathisia was like this:

Hypomania: "Damn I got a lot to do. *runs around doing stuff*"

Akathisia: "Damn. Damn. Damn. I CAN'T STAND IT!!! I CAN'T STAND IT AT ALL!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! (#*@$@#*(&%@%%#!!!!!!"

That's about all the help I can give on the subject, your mania will vary. Remember that all I have is hypomania, and who knows, maybe full-on mania feels like what you describe.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the pole dance, so take my experience with a grain of salt... ;)

Today, my pdoc confirmed I've been building up to a mixed episode for about two weeks. We think it hit 2-3 days ago. Why? Because suddenly, AMBIEN DIDN'T WORK. Normally, Ambien makes my brain shut the fuck up so I can go to sleep. For the last two nights, I still lay awake in bed for hours with shit running through my head. And it was a different kind of "running". Instead of the usual ruminating/over-analyzing, it was random bursts of shit.

Anyway, my point is... did Ambien still put you to sleep during past manic episodes? Maybe you could make some inferences based on that. But again, mileage varies and episodes vary. Good luck!

But I feel like I am aabout to fly out of my body. I can't sit still or concentrate.

That sounds exactly like something that happens to me nearly every year in Spring, to varying levels of intensity. For me, though, it always seems to be accompanied by (or part of) mania or hypomania. The first time it happened, I feel pretty sure it was part of some kind of mixed episode, maybe a dysphoric mania.

I'm sorry, I'd like to answer your question, but I can't. The mention of brain zaps does make me wonder if it *is* akathisia due to your meds, but I don't know a lot about Abilify.

I'll add a few more cents that I just thought of (I'm almost broke now, so bear with me here).

Akathisia for me does not result in outward aggressive feelings. It's a very inner, personal thing, as if I'm about to collapse inwards onto myself... implode, if you will. That is why the feeling is hard for me to describe. When I was (rather incorrectly) medicated with Zyprexa, I couldn't harm a flea, despite all the turmoil I was feeling. Nonetheless, akathisia was still a severely bad feeling for me.

I have also had mixed states (though I think they were too brief to qualify for the DSM's definitions thereof). Those, for me, are always raging, screaming, drinking, and even self-injuring periods of angry hypomanic destruction. That would be a good time to not piss me off. I have sent my fellow grown men crying during those periods (that's what happens when you combine jerk + sharp tongue). I've almost gotten myself kicked out of a house I lived in (by swearing like a sailorman with Tourette syndrome). People aren't used to me totally losing it, so they got really, really scared when I did.

So for me, I am very different in my mixed states than in akathisia. Your silicovaginosis may vary.

I halved my dosage and I don't have the akathesia anymore. Maybe a little, but i'm pretty sure it was akathesia. Abilify has a high incidence of ....whatever it is you said, Herrfous.

Abilify has a high incidence of ....whatever it is you said, Herrfous.

I think I said "akathisia"... or at least, I was supposed to say it... I really don't remember a lot of what I do or say after about 4 PM, which is when my immune system shuts down and takes my brain along with it.

But anyways, glad you figured out the problem.

I finally feel okay. I don't feel depressed. I can get stuff done. But I feel like I am aabout to fly out of my body. I can't sit still or concentrate. I can't read because I can't sit still long enough. I'm pretty sure this is akathesia -side effect from Abilify, which I've been taking for a week and a half..

I felt a lot like this, with some added leg and facial twitching. My pdoc said it was dyskenesia and prescribed Cogentin, which really seems to help. Only bad thing is that with the Cogentin, I can't drive very well for several hours, so I have to remember not to take it until I get to work.

Tommy

Archived