CrazyBoards.org

Insomnia predicts future anxiety disorders

Based on two surveys 11 years apart headed up by Dag Neckelmann of Haukeland University Hospital in Norway. Reuters article. Via Spikol. Insomnia at time 1 predicted anxiety disorder at time 2, but not depression, although depression and insomnia co-occurred.

I thought the fact that it wasn't significantly predicting depression (despite predicting anxiety) was pretty interesting, since insomnia and depression are widely known to be related (and anxiety and depression can both co-occur and each cause the other). Maybe insomnia is a byproduct of early anxiety that isn't yet diagnosable? Maybe it's a version of the same phenomenon where lack of sleep can make bipolar people hypo/manic?

• 3 weeks later...

Same here. I can't seem to find relief. Benzos don't really work for me at least not in the PM. Lunesta and Ambien CR will knock me out, but it's not quality sleep. I dream all night long and wake-up exhausted. I'll stay with a hang-over effect all day long. Arrgghhh! I can't focus or recover from my depression without proper rest. I think if I could sleep then I stand a fighting chance at caging my 'black dog'. ;)

Same here. I can't seem to find relief. Benzos don't really work for me at least not in the PM. Lunesta and Ambien CR will knock me out, but it's not quality sleep. I dream all night long and wake-up exhausted. I'll stay with a hang-over effect all day long. Arrgghhh! I can't focus or recover from my depression without proper rest. I think if I could sleep then I stand a fighting chance at caging my 'black dog'. ;)

have you tried Zopiclone (Imovane) ? Its the best sleeping pill I ever tried.

Archived