CrazyBoards.org

Cleaning Files

When I was cleaning up files on my laptop I got a message that said that some of window files had been replaced by unrecognizable files and to insert a certain disk into the hard drive? It said that this might cause windows to become unstable.

What does it mean? It didn't specify which disk to put in. It just said Put in (blank) disk.

I am so confused.

Please help.

Selene

OK. So you were deleting files somewhere on a laptop that runs an unknown version of Windows, and something bad may have happened. You might need a disc, which may or may not be blank.

Based on the detailed information provided, your best bet is to restore from your recent backups. If there is malware involved, you might have to start from an older backup or even reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

null0trooper

When you put it that way, I feel stupid for asking.

Anyway, I restarted my windows (XP, by the way) and nothing happened, so I guess its ok for now. If I have any problems with it, I will take to the shop and have them look at.

So nevermind my original question.

Selene

null0trooper

When you put it that way, I feel stupid for asking.

The point isn't to make you feel stupid for asking, but to drive home how hard it is to guess what's going on inside someone else's equipment with only vague information to go on. A stab in the dark at a fix could lead to the situation getting much worse.

Archived