CrazyBoards.org

Another newbie

Hi all,

My name is Cathy but I usually go by Cat. Just diagnosed with bipolar II after many years of being treated(unsuccessfully) for unipolar depression. Started new meds 3 weeks ago, lamictal and a small dose of prozac and havent noticed a huge difference yet. Just wanted to say hi, this seems like a fun group.

Hi all,

My name is Cathy but I usually go by Cat. Just diagnosed with bipolar II after many years of being treated(unsuccessfully) for unipolar depression. Started new meds 3 weeks ago, lamictal and a small dose of prozac and havent noticed a huge difference yet. Just wanted to say hi, this seems like a fun group.

Welcome to the boards.

Wait a little longer with the meds because it sometimes takes a bit for them to work. It is also possible that your doc might want to raise the dosages the next time he/she sees you... Medications can be tricky sometimes... like a game of trial and error sort of...

Good luck. Make yourself at home and feel free to contact/PM any of the moderators, such as myself, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, etc.

Be well.

~*Ophelia*~

Hi Cat.

Lamictal can take a while to build up to a therapeutic dose so try not to get frustrated. Hope the meds start kicking in soon.

Glad to see you around!

Luna

Hi Cat.

Lamictal can take a while to build up to a therapeutic dose so try not to get frustrated. Hope the meds start kicking in soon.

Glad to see you around!

Luna

Thanks fof the welcvome. How long does it usually take to kick in in your opinion? I have read that some people get relief at 50 mgs(which I am on presently) others say 100-200 mgs is a good stable dose. I know that it could take another month to feel real relief since I'm titrating up slowly. I have noticed that my anxiety/agitation is better so I guess that's something.

Cat

YMMV, but the 'accepted' therapeutic dose is 200mg. A lot of folks will also tell you that you may well go nuts for a couple of days every time you up the dosage, so until you hit your own sweet spot, it's hard to say. I didn't really feel the full benefit until about 6 weeks after I hit 200mg.

Hi MissCat,

Great name and avatar! I finally got onto the mood stabilizer train 2 years ago in september, with a possible/probable bpii dx, after some two decades of unipolar depression dxes (so i get where you are coming from). the difference in the addition of the mood stabilizer is amazing! I've heard good things about lamictal, though i am a depakote/cymbalta girl meself. Best of luck in your journey, and welcome! This place saved my life/sanity back when i was going through one of the roughest patches of my life. Hope all good things come your way. ;) (we need a cat emoticon!)

Hi Cat, welcome! I too was recently diagnosed with BP, after years of misdiagnosis, and have been titrating up on the Lamictal. I'm now on 100 mg, which seems to be working pretty well, although I still wake up (WIDE awake) after about six hours of sleep - which isn't enough - but that may be due to other stressors.

However, even with that possible breakthrough sx, I feel amazingly better on the Lamictal than off it. It's like all these huge emotions that were pulling me this way and that all my life are suddenly reduced to (mostly) manageable proportions. So give the Lamictal a while to work - but once you have, don't be shy about letting your pdoc know if it's not right for you - you'll be able to tell.

Glad you found us! Welcome aboard.

Archived