CrazyBoards.org

EMSAM started on 6mg now going up to 9mg

Well, I've been on the Emsam patch for about 2 weeks and I am still having trouble!! so tommorow I go up to 9mg patches, while still taking 400mg X 3 of Sam-E, 8 1000mg fishoil cap.s, 50 mg cytomel. Does anyone else out there have good new with the Emsam patch?? I know now I have to watch my diet with the 9mg patch. Anyone got advice on this one???

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone else out there have good new with the Emsam patch?? I know now I have to watch my diet with the 9mg patch. Anyone got advice on this one???

Hello, SmilinSneakers:

I you're still checking this thread, or for anyone interested: I have been on Emsam 12 mg for three months. The first positive effects I noticed at 9 mg. The changes I made to my diet have been ridiculously small. I avoid binging on the foods on forbidden list, but as the most recent studies have found less tyramine in most of them than previously supposed, I eat banana nut bread fearlessly. I will soon try to post a reference to that testing. Still, I imagine you'd want to be especially careful to avoid soy, given the thyroid med.

Beware of blood pressure changes, up or down, when you change dosage. I require an adjunct to lower my bp on 12 mg. Also, I suspect you should report to your doc any increase in nervousness, since maybe "the patch" and Cytomel together could be behind it. This is not medical advice--obviously--just my non-expert observations.

When I stepped up to 12 mg my sleep worsened. At 9 mg this had not been a problem, but be aware that others have reported early awakening on Emsam.

I have not experienced headaches, drowsiness, GI problems or skin rash. Do be sure to mix up the application sites. During this hot summer the patches tend to stay gummy and want to peel off. Perhaps my use of surgical tape isn't the best solution for this, but you've got to glue what you've got to glue! Maybe someone else has ideas.

Best,

S.

Archived