CrazyBoards.org

insurance requires, then loses, authorization

I went last week to fill my Adderall prescription Tuesday a week ago, two days before I was to run out, since I don't like leaving things for the last minute, especially medication.

The first time I had a coupon. This time it went through insurance, and insurance wanted authorization because I was over 18 and it was the smallest (pediatric) dose.

My pdoc was out of town until Monday, and his fill-in was not able to provide authorization for me.

My pdoc faxed the approval form to my insurance on Tuesday. My pharmacist at first thought I was trying to scam him, then could not find my prescription for twenty minutes, after which he found out that my insurance still had not processed the authorization.

My psychiatrist said give it a day. I went back today. They still haven't processed it.

I need to call my pdoc and tell him that they haven't processed it. But I'm worried it may not be doing anything. When I first went on it there was a noticeable difference, and when I was off for two days last weekend the first day was fine and the second and third days I woke up sensorily overstimulated in the way it helps with. But now I've been off it for three days, and the first day my attention kept joltily resetting but now I seem to be fine again. It might not have been working as well at the end, either.

I'm wondering if I should just give up for now and talk to him later in August when I'm home again. I don't want to keep dealing with this from afar, and I don't like being treated like a criminal, and it may not be working. Or may not ever have been working. I don't know. I don't have a control group. But I don't know. Maybe I should try to get it worked out.

My psychiatrist said give it a day. I went back today. They still haven't processed it.

I need to call my pdoc and tell him that they haven't processed it.

And you need to call the insurance company, possibly even the state insurance regulation agency.

Otherwise, that pharmacy and insurance company "learn" that they can get away with denying medications. It may not matter so much to you now, but what about the person who needs a specific pain medication that raises questions (I've a relative with insane allergy issues - this isn't hypothetical). What about a girl coming in who really needs that "morning after" pill?

On the plus side, if the pharmacy is still refusing to dispense a legal prescription, you're perfectly within your rights to point out loudly enough for all the other customers to hear that you're being refusing a PSYCH med that you are now OFF of. ADD comes with some nasty but occasionally useful skills, like escalation - take advantage. (I've only been a big pest once over Adderall and that was when it was needed for halting med-induced sleep attacks. Someone, like me for example, could have died if I fell asleep too long in a car. )

But I'm worried it may not be doing anything. When I first went on it there was a noticeable difference, and when I was off for two days last weekend the first day was fine and the second and third days I woke up sensorily overstimulated in the way it helps with. But now I've been off it for three days, and the first day my attention kept joltily resetting but now I seem to be fine again. It might not have been working as well at the end, either.

Right. Now how much work did you get done, and what was the quality of that work compared to the time you were on the medication?

Just like you keep hearing about the antidepressants (or in Loon-a-tik's posts about her ADD med experiences) when the dosage is about right, you really shouldn't "feel" much difference. And of course you'll have up days and down days, like with everything else.

I got a phone message from my pdoc late yesterday, and apparently he was faxing the insurance approval forms to the wrong number. He said they may have it today but probably not till Monday. But you're right, if that doesn't work I should keep at them.

The pharmacy is willing to dispense the prescription, but I have to pay the full cost unless insurance will approve it. So I don't think they're doing anything inappropriate legally, just interpersonally (in terms of jumping to the conclusion that I was trying to scam them).

Escalation is an ADD skill? You mean like getting in pissed off with people? I'm good at that but it tends to not be good for me.

Right. Now how much work did you get done, and what was the quality of that work compared to the time you were on the medication?

I don't have a consistent metric, and there was a qualitative shift in the work I was doing about the time I ran out. I wish I had better data here.

Just like you keep hearing about the antidepressants (or in Loon-a-tik's posts about her ADD med experiences) when the dosage is about right, you really shouldn't "feel" much difference. And of course you'll have up days and down days, like with everything else.

Maybe the problem is that I'm comparing them to antidepressants, or mood stabilizers, or the other drugs I've been on - every one that's worked has had a major, obvious effect on my functioning and subjective well-being, probably because I run so far below the norm in terms of mood and above the norm in terms of anxiety that any change is very visible. Focalin (the non-right ADD med for me) had a similar impact both in terms of positive and negative effects, but Adderall has been much more subtle in both ways.

I should have a much more consistent environment in the fall (in terms of taking classes) so I'll be able to come up with actual numbers then.

Escalation is an ADD skill? You mean like getting in pissed off with people? I'm good at that but it tends to not be good for me.

Nah. It's more like pushing (usually verbally, but not limited to it) at a person or situation until you or it or all of the above explodes. See also "brinkmanship" and "double-dog dare" ;)

I'm only ever the one that explodes, though. I wish I had the gift of making other people lose it, even though I know that wouldn't be a good idea.

I was finally able to pick up my Adderall last night, and I took it this morning, and my fear of it being a placebo was ungrounded. I felt much calmer and less stressed, and got a whole lot more things done, easily.

I'm only ever the one that explodes, though. I wish I had the gift of making other people lose it, even though I know that wouldn't be a good idea.

I was finally able to pick up my Adderall last night, and I took it this morning, and my fear of it being a placebo was ungrounded. I felt much calmer and less stressed, and got a whole lot more things done, easily.

If you have a choice of pharmacies, you might try another one next time. They don't all freak out and treat Adderall users like criminals. Probably helps if you get your other meds at the same pharmacy. I hate it that people are a bit weird about Adderall and stuff like it.

Nice that it calms you. It gives me the ability to control myself, but I need that more when I take it, too. Sometimes it has felt like panic in pill form, or it makes me feel more driven. But it does help me get things done, forget things less, and show up on time more often.

If I'm not mistaken, it matters a lot what's in your stomach when you take the stuff. If you've been consuming orange juice or other acid stuff it doesn't seem to work as well. And antacids can crank it right up. Not sure that's a GOOD thing, tho.

Archived