CrazyBoards.org

Never EVER mess up your thoracic muscle

I did something stupid (isn't this how all of these things start?) and wrenched, tore, hyper extended whatever the stupid muscle between my shoulder blades. I'm on a LOT of hydrocodone/Lortab/Vicodin and it still hurts. taking the rest of my meds turns my brain into a puddle of paste. I'm wondering if I should be doing any theraputic exercise? The doctor was so brief, I didn't get to ask what I SHOULD do around all of his "Don'ts" He said it was a common injury.

Just curious if anyone has any advice

Painfully

Panz

[edit: correctd title spelling. a.m.]

castor oil story

Panzy, read this quick little story of back pain and castor oil. I really think it's worth a try. You don't have to apply heat. Just apply the oil and lie on some towels for 45 min or so. (Applying heat might be bad for your type of injury.)

Edgar Cayce was a psychic and prophet who recommended castor oil for many many health issues when he was in a trance state. In other words, the information came through him, not from him.

buy castor oil

OK, I'll quit harping on this now... but I hope you try it. It looks like even CVS pharmacy carries it, so maybe your local pharmacy does too.

MASSAGE THERAPY! I don't know if you have ins. or the means, but I have chronic, acute back, neck, and shoulder pain and a 30 min. massage does wonders. It is also good for mental health and makes you super relaxed. With my ins., a 30 min. massage costs $9.53. You have to get dr. to write a script. It is way better than physical therapy. Another good remedy is a chiropractor. They can crack your back and it feels so good. The tension release is sort of like an orgasmic experience.

I agree on the physical therapist before you mess around with old wives tale home remedies. My sympathies.
"Old wives' tales and home remedies," as someone called them, are sometimes the most effective and least expensive cure.

A real live licenced Nurse Practitioner told me about the castor oil poultice. After I spent 10 days in the hospital/ICU and nearly croaked from a very aggressive mycoplasma pneumonia, she told me to use it on my lungs when I was recuperating at home. Amazingly, I now have zero scarring on my lungs. My doctor can hardly believe it. Don't be so quick to dismiss something, just because it's not Western medicine.

Last night I was in a trance and I went out and bought castor oil by the carton and filled my jacuzzi. Not only is my back still killing me, I slipped on my greasy feet , bruised my tailbone as well and now have to put in a repair call for the clogged jacuzzi, sigh. So much for old wives tales. ;)

Stick with massage or physio. I've also had good experiences with the right chiropractor.

pysical therapy sucks.

that's a very sweeping comment. I had a massage therapist screw up my neck and back for months. I guess we all have different experiences. BUT physical therapists train for years on the physiology of the body and are able to use extra equipment (such as ultrasound and minor electric currents) that are beyond the reach of a massage therapist. I'd far rather go to a trained medical professional than someone who spent a few years learning about basic massage therapy and essential oils. Back pain is not something to be screwed around with.

Here's the Wikipedia article on castor oil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil

Check out the "medicinal use" section and note the lack of indication of efficacy for back pain.

On the plus side, it seems unlikely to hurt people when used for that, beyond pocketbook.

Cayce's reputation relies on anecdotal claims for his psychic powers (ignoring the many times they didn't work). I am unable to find any evidence supporting this, and can tell you with certainty that if we had, it would be headline news. No one I've found talks about his fondness for an empirically unsupported use of castor oil, probably because it's not as dangerous as claiming to medically diagnose people via psychic powers.

Apparently he predicted that in 1958 we'd discover a death ray used on Atlantis, that China would convert to Christianity by 1968, etc.

Look. I'm just trying to help a friend. Zippy, you're just looking for a fight. Talk about a waste of energy. Go beat on some pillows or something.

These remedies have been around for nearly a century. If they were pure bunk, they would have died out decades ago.

I'm sure my friend will let us know whether it helped or not. That is what matters.

Look. I'm just trying to help a friend. Zippy, you're just looking for a fight. Talk about a waste of energy. Go beat on some pillows or something.

These remedies have been around for nearly a century. If they were pure bunk, they would have died out decades ago.

I'm sure my friend will let us know whether it helped or not. That is what matters.

Fuck ya if ya can't take a joke.

Archived