CrazyBoards.org

first off, mods, please merge this post if there is already a relevant topic regarding post ratings. I couldn't find one, so I'm starting a new thread.

I do think the idea of "post ratings" has so far gone very well. However, I'm worried that posts may receive poor ratings (often for the wrong reasons, especially people disagreeing with the opinions presented by the original poster and/or other thread participants). I thought that this may upset people whose posts get poorly rated.

I have an analogy that has directly to do with a post. A while back, I posted a thread that had the possibility of "leaving" some CBers out and therefore making people hurt. I realized the possibility soon after posting, and I put in a request for mods to delete the post if people started getting offended (or thought that the post should be deleted anyways). I do agree with the removal of that thread (I'm more happy than upset about that), but I do feel that the idea of topic ratings has the capability to do the same things as that post had the capability of doing.

anyways, would like to hear of admins' (and other members) opinion on this.

There's a difference between the two things.

The topic you are referring to is really a judgement of you as a person and your worth and blah blah blah. Really a popularity contest when you get right down to it. All that good stuff.

The topic ratings are a rating of the topic and how useful the writing might be to other people. It isn't a rating of the person or how much you like them or their personality.

If person a is writing about their cat that just got run over it might not be as useful as person b who is writing about their cat who got run over and who is considering some sort of legal action. Though both will be responded to because, hey, it's really sad to have your cat run over.

It's also a way to get people to read various threads that they may not notice or might not otherwise read.

You mean the "what crazyboards members would you like to stalk?" topic?

That just scared the fuck out of me. Not that it was you, but just the concept of the topic. I could easily see people never coming back to the boards because their name appeared on that thread. Many RL support groups don't allow members to have contact with each other outside the context of the group at all.

People get axe murdered that way.

You mean the "what crazyboards members would you like to stalk?" topic?

That just scared the fuck out of me. Not that it was you, but just the concept of the topic. I could easily see people never coming back to the boards because their name appeared on that thread. Many RL support groups don't allow members to have contact with each other outside the context of the group at all.

People get axe murdered that way.

Interesting. I actually never thought of that. Makes sense, I fathom.

I see fous' point though, I read a couple of threads based on their rating when ratings started... they were both entertaining, but not very educational. So I ignore them

I'd like to see a set up more like the ebay feedback where the rating is based on the average of specific questions. IDK what the q's would be here? But something more elaborate than "was this topic helpful"... more like 3-5 q's like "did this thread help consolodate your thoughts to speak to your docs?" and "did this thread help you come to terms with your condition"... not those but that kind of thing, then take the average of the ratings of each q'

signed even-more-full-of-shit-than-Mr-Full-Of-Useless-Shit (sorry 'FOUS, I'm kidding)

If we have too many ratings, people will use them even less frequently than they do now. I do like the idea of "how much did you learn from this topic?" or something. I think we have a specification for what the ratings mean, but I'm not sure where it is.

Humorous rantings about the use of the term "axe murderer" --

For some reason, I started to find the use of this specific term to be very amusing. VE's concern is completely legit, however. The term "axe murderer" just reminded me of a travel forum I used to be on... people started scheduling visits with each other (at public places, of course), namely since there were concentrations of members at various geographical locations. Prior to the September 11th attacks, it would be common for members to meet each other when one was doing a layover at the local airport (!). Before each meeting, people would joke that such-and-such was "an axe murderer".

The strange part is that one woman in the group set up a "palooza" in the form of a huge outdoor picnic... in her very own yard!** Over 40 members showed up, some flying cross-country to her place in the Southeast, and a couple even coming from the UK! The best part was when one member actually bought an axe to hold in the group photo (from what I understand, he didn't murder anybody, and hasn't, at least so far). So it's easy to figure that this group became a "real-life" meeting group, and not just an online haunt, axe murderers and all.

**(n.B. - I seriously do not recommend inviting a bunch of CBers to one's house. That woman took a lot of risk letting 40 virtual strangers onto her lawn for the whole day. It is obvious that a "CB-palooza" is just asking for it.)

signed even-more-full-of-shit-than-Mr-Full-Of-Useless-Shit (sorry 'FOUS, I'm kidding)

If you lived closer to me, I'd invite you over here one day at high noon and instruct you to bring your weapon of choice. ;)

(of course, you might bring an axe, and that'd be a good reason for me to run like an Indian boy who just told his parents he got an A- in math.***) :)

***(n.B. #2 - I use that idiom/simile since I know exactly how quickly I'd run after telling my parents I got an A- in math. Fortunately, their standards are now much lower, and they'd be quite pleased if I got a stable job that paid me well enough to stop depending on them.)

I think I'll shut up now (for the time being, at least).

Archived