CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Ashdene

Hours of sleep?

How many of those things do you actually get a night??? HMMMMMMMM?

How many hours of sleep a night/a if you work night shift do you get?

I know it varies from person to person they say..............................................so can I hearr it? Hmmmmmmmm?

Or not? I just confused?

I don't know?

I try to get 10 when I'm sleeping good; I could sleep all day long when I'm sleeping good though. It seems like when I can sleep, that no amount of sleep is ever enough. Right now I'm only getting about seven hours of broken sleep. This is not good for me. I think I'm hypomanic right now though.

10 hours? Seriously? 10 hours for me is way too much, and for more than a night or two, is a sign that something's amiss. I do more like 6-8, with less than 6, again, being way too little, and, again, for more than a night or two, being a sign that something's amiss.

My sleep varies. I go between 8-10 if I am stable. Depressed and I will sleep as long as 14 hours. Hypomanic or manic, anywhere between 3-5 hours of very fitfull sleep.

My baseline is about 6 hours in warm weather and 10 in cold.

My depressed norm is 10-12, but I have been known to do as much as 70 straight hours sleep, maybe a bit more.

Manic norm is 3-4, but can be as little as a 3 hour nap every two days or so...

So I guess if I did an average with all that it would resemble 8 hours... woot, that's perfectly normal and healthy

thanx guys,

the reason I mainly asked is I get a tad confused when to take my medication and go to bed.

I got to get up at six to go to work, and I usually work really late in the evening.

I was getting 2-3 hours of sleep and my meds now help nock me out but never sure when to actually go to sleep?

Cause always ended up drowsy in the morning. even when I get depressed i just lie there but I don't sleep.

And recently I was in a car acident on the way to work, didn't say anything but don't remember anything cause i was half asleep! woops!

10 hours seems like a hell of a lot?

I've worked 3rd shift for almost 20 years. There isn't a right time to go to bed; what's important is that you sleep at the same time every day (even on your days off). 3rd is flexible: you can sleep when you come home or stay up a while and sleep before work. I take my Depakote and Clonazepam about 2 hours before I turn in.

My psychiatrist recently urged me, "You really need to get 8 hours of sleep". I was getting 6 or 7, during the work week. I need to get up at 6am. Since I usually feel better (calmer, more focused, more energetic, happier, or whatever) at night, it's hard to do. Other times I just find getting to sleep difficult. But I'm taking her gentle scolding seriously, and aiming for at least 8 hours of sleep every night. I do think I feel better in the day--even if I'm sleepy from drugs or depression, I manage it better. And no crashes for 16 hours of sleep every few days, and no evening naps. I take risperdal and sometimes clonazepam 30-60 minutes before bed. I was using ambien, but rarely do anymore, doc's orders.

I think that if I could manage to get 9 or 10 hours a night, I'd be at my best. But I just can't put myself to bed at 8 pm. (Unless I'm depressed, in which case I could easily sleep 20 hours a day.)

I'd suggest you take your medicine earlier, so its effects wear off by the time you wake up. Do so only if you aren't out driving or something potentially dangerous. And do whatever you can to get more sleep! I'm amazed at how important sleep is, what a difference it makes for mental health and physical health. I recently read something about sleep and cortisol, I think, and how it effects how well your body loses weight and/or stores fat.

And, as a bipolar person, finding the number of hours of sleep I need and sticking to them helps me gauge how well I'm managing any highs or lows, or if I'm headed for one.

How many of those things do you actually get a night??? HMMMMMMMM?

More than about 5-6 hours sleep and I get horribly depressed.

7-9 hours. During the work week I'm usually closer to 7 and I tend to oversleep on the weekends.

I try to get 10 when I'm sleeping good; I could sleep all day long when I'm sleeping good though. It seems like when I can sleep, that no amount of sleep is ever enough. Right now I'm only getting about seven hours of broken sleep. This is not good for me. I think I'm hypomanic right now though.

I am so happy you posted this! I am glad I'm not the only person who feels this way about sleep. When I finally do get into some sleep I just can't get enough. I can be perfectly awake and able to get out of bed and it can be gorgeous outside (I live one mile from the Gulf of Mexico) and I still want to sleep. I guess it's because sleep is such a rare occurence for me!

Great topic....in that I am spending the night at hospital tonight having a "sleep study" done. I am having terrible insomnia.....I either can't fall asleep or I do fall asleep and awake again 1- 2 hours later and wide awake. Doc gave me lunesta which worked good for a bit....I would take it with 2 Vistaril and I got to sleep soundly through the night. Lunesta is now not working and she gave me Seroquel to try. I had 25 mg to start, which did absolutely nothing.....awake all night watching sunrise. Then I tried 50 mg and it did very little.....maybe dozed off here and there with that, but no sound restful sleep. Funny, I don't get sleepy during the day or I would be napping. My pdoc is sending me for this study. Hopefully they will find out the reason......I do have restless leg syndrome that contributes to what is going on as well. I KNOW i won't sleep at this hospital with hospital mattress and electrodes all over me......wired for sound. I do think its a combination of depression/anxiety or something. We'll see.

My max is 16, but my preference is 12 (anything longer gives me a headache w/o remeron - too much REM). On a bad night, or one where I'm up late and get up early I either manage 1-2 or nothing at all thanks to insomnia.

Last night I didn't sleep. ;)

under normal conditions i sleep for 8-10 hrs/night. i go to bed around 10-12 and get up in 8-10 hrs.

if i'm feeling more up (usually an anxious and disruptive feeling), then it may be 0-2 hrs or if i'm lucky, 4.

if i'm depressed, it is usually 12.

working 3rd shift, it would be 6-7. it was hard for me to sleep with all the daytime noise going on, especially the neighborhood kids playing outside. i actually put on my robe one day and dragged them all to their parents and told them to control their children because they were screaming under my window (i lived in a townhouse complex).

CONTROL YOUR CHILDREN!!! MWHAHAHAHAH

i wasn't too polite about it. sorry. i was sleep deprived.