CrazyBoards.org

What happens if I go to the ER suicidal

I think it depends a lot on what state (assuming you're in the U.S.?) you live in. But I'm pretty sure that, in most, if not all states, if you go to the ER and tell them you're suicidal, they're legally required to take you seriously, and usually probably to admit you for something like 24-72 hours for "observation." If your pdoc/tdoc is available, you might want to try reaching them first, and talking to them about doing a hospitilization wherever they've got hospital privileges, if you're feeling like you need to go that route.

SS is correct. If you are a danger to yourself or others then by law they can admit you for 24-72 hours for observation. Whether your insurance will cover it or not is always up in the air, but sometimes you can battle that out AFTER things have settled down.

Right now, you really just need to go to the AE/ER and take care of you and tell them that you are suicidal. You are important. Sometimes your insurance will require you to call a special number if you feel you need hospitalization. However if it's an emergency or you are suicidal they will just tell you to go to the AE/ER and the insurance will deal with it later.

Granted that was when I was dealing with Pacificare.

United HealthCare was totally different and they were total fuckheads about the whole thing.

Yeah, like I can PLAN on being suicidal. BAH!

Will they strap me to a bed? etc????

Even during the worst of my psychotic rages they didn't have to use restraints on me and they really don't like using them because of all the forms and everything else involved with their use.

It's truly more bother than it's worth to use them. (restraints) And really they rarely have ever used the "time-out" room for some people and that was for a girl that was constantly stripping herself down because she was having a bad acid trip. And they had a female nurse keeping an eye on her for her safety.

Really hospital is nothing to be afraid of. It's a lot less scary than suicidal thinking. I've been to hospital several times. I've even been court commited.

I've been to several different types of hospitals as well. They can be real lifesavers.

Even if most of the time the time you spend in there just seems really boring, and a waste of time, the monotony does have a really weird healing effect that you just don't really seem to understand when you're there.

Thanks Maddy... so they just watch you closely and do you meet with a psych or anything?

Usually the first 24 hours [in most places that I've been in] they keep you on 15 min. checks until they deem you a "non-risk" for suicide. Or longer than 24hrs if necessary. Then depending upon where you are and under what circumstances you came in under [keep in mind this is specific to my state, my circumstances, times, etc...] and all of that then they will usually have you meet with the hospitals Pdoc and then they will have you start going to some group therapy type things (sometimes it's not mandatory during your first few days, sometimes it is) and some art therapy and things like that.

Things to get you up and moving about and around others. [which really sucks when you're autistic & you lack the social skillz, but I digress]

Some places will let slack on the whole hygiene thing your first few days, like making your bed, showering, etc... but eventually they make you start doing the self-care thing. Because hey, you gotta leave sometime. And they want to make sure you're prepped for the real world out there.

Usually you'll meet with the Pdoc like at least once a week, but in some of the better places it's 3 times a week. And even in the worst places you'll see a therapist at least once a week. And in your average places, you'll see a therapist 3 times a week. The better places, you'll see a therapist everyday.

Hope that some of this info helps.

Can you tell I've been in the nut hut quite a bit?

PS -

I don't know if this is just in my state, but something you might want to be prepped for - in my state, they take your photo upon being admitted. Like in case you break-out and they need to put out an APB or something on you, I guess. They wouldn't release it to the public, because that would be illegal, but if you come up missing they do need a recent photo for the cops.

It's a safety thing. Just thought I'd warn you so you don't get paranoid in case they do it in your state or whatever. Sorry.

I've wanted to go a bunch of times, but for some reason it was my mother I called to talk to about it, and she'd ask me if I felt suicidal, which I didn't. I felt manic and completely fucking crazed, but not, in fact, suicidal, so she'd tell me there was really nothing they could do for me at the hospital, if I wasn't suicidal so I might as well just stay home.

In a less crazed state, this, of course, makes absolutely no sense.... Whatever.

So that's something I still have to look forward to, I guess. Or, you know, not. But it kind of seems to me that anytime a hospital room seems like a significantly better or safer place to be than wherever it is you are, that you should probably just go there. And not call my mother first. Because SHE is seriously crazy.

Things are a little different where I live. (Utah, US) You go to the ER. You talk to a crisis worker and based on the interview you will or will not then be admitted to a psych ward in the valley where there is a bed avaiable. At the psych hospital they take your picture, and take anything dangerous (shoes w/shoelaces, belts, etc.) and anything valuable and lock it up. Don't worry, not a strip search or anything like that. You meet with a pdoc everyday. sometimes a tdoc as well. Then there are groups an so on. Things like walking the grounds, smoking, shaving (with razors) and other stuff varies from place to place.

I went to the ER suicidal last year. They took a history, blood work, and then called crisis. It took them several hours to get there ( it was memorial day, although nighttime.) I was evaluated and placed in a crisis center a few miles from the hospital I went. It was one of the best decisions of my life. Therapy 3x a day, meet with pdoc the first full day, and after that, when requested, or when symptoms warranted it. It was nice to just be around people who understood. They involved you in the cooking and cleaning, but only if you were up to it. Of course, again, this is not the ER, but where they determined would be the best place for me.

The voices keep telling me give up. To Cut. I haven't been taking my meds regularly because I crave the way alcohol makes me feel better. I brought this all on myself. I owe more money to more people and I can't afford to support my family. I love my kids too much to go through with it, but I am not taking things well.

The voices keep telling me give up. To Cut. I haven't been taking my meds regularly because I crave the way alcohol makes me feel better. I brought this all on myself. I owe more money to more people and I can't afford to support my family. I love my kids too much to go through with it, but I am not taking things well.

Hi Manny,

I have been where you are and have been voluntarily hospitalized several times. It sounds like you are in a lot of pain, becoming almost non-functional, and feeling like you are almost at the end of your rope. Have you talked to your Pdoc about where you are now? For me, the easiest way to be hospitalized is through my Pdoc. If you are suicidal, go any way you can. Just go and every thing else will fall into place.

Inpatient hospitalization has it's advantages and disadvantages. For me, it was good to have meals prepared, meds doled out, walk, have ample time to complete med charts, feel like I was not the only one mentally ill and to feel supported and cared for as well as not having to deal with every day responsibilities. I also liked it that I was seeing a Pdoc. every couple of days. I felt reassured that the staff knew what they were doing..

Now, the biggest thing that I did not like was that the Pdocs didn't know me and my history, as well as all of the drugs that I have been on and they may change all of my drugs around. My regular Pdoc was not involved and I was too ill to be able to think straight. I've tried a lot of drugs and I guess that I have fear that the hospital Pdoc would change all of my meds around and I would end

up worse than before! On the other hand, med changes may be just what I need (If I am in state in which I need to be hospitalized)

I was so depressed, with lots of pain, and so dysfunctional that I really could not get much out of the therapy. I've thought many times if I could just go back on an out-patient basis and take all of the therapy again now. I guess I could, just costs a lot of money that my insurance may not pay.

Now, I try to stay out of the hospital because I feel that my boyfriend and I can take better care of me at home while I consult with my Pdoc and tdoc on a definite regular basis. It would take me a lot to get me back into the hospital where I am forced to do things (like groups) that I was too ill to get anything out of.

Hospitalization has saved many lives and helped a great deal of many people. I understand your fear and needing to know what to expect. If you can't stand the pain any longer and you do not

have a good longstanding relationship with your Pdoc or tdoc (who could help you make this decision), I would just GO!

Please keep us posted. I care. If it is O.K. with you, I'm adding you to my friends list, O.K.? YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FEEL THIS WAY FOREVER. Take action. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Sincerely,

SunshineOutside

Also, please, please stop drinking. If you need help, AA is a really good program. Their support of you will help a lot. You do not have to be "labeled" as an alcoholic to attend the meetings. You can go to some "open" meetings as a visitor. If you decide that you want to join AA, all the require is that you have a desire to stop drinking.

Well, it sounds to non M.D. or PhD me, like you should probably go to the ER, or call your Pdoc ASAP. Sounds like things are pretty bad. And from what everyone's saying, the ER's sounding like a pretty good option. No reason, really, not to go.

Well, it sounds to non M.D. or PhD me, like you should probably go to the ER, or call your Pdoc ASAP. Sounds like things are pretty bad. And from what everyone's saying, the ER's sounding like a pretty good option. No reason, really, not to go.

I agree with this. If you are having psychotic symptoms and can't reach your pdoc you should go straight to the hospital. I wouldn't fool around with something like this, sounds serious. Stay safe.

Cat

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your attention. I will keeep you posted. my wife is at work all day and I am watching the kids. One worry is if i am hospitalized I can't work and money is EXTREMELY TIGHT right now. Isn't it with everyone. I am going to wait till my wife comes home and tell her(I keep a lot of feelings in this area from her even though I shouldn't) she understands me a lot.

Why not go ahead and call your pdoc, to let him/her know where you are with all this, and see what he/she thinks, and if he/she's got any immediate suggestions? I'm wondering, for instance, if it might not help to increase your Risperdal ASAP, given the psychotic sounding stuff you're describing?

I, of course, call my pdoc at the drop of a hat, and realize not everybody has those digits on their speed dial, but given that you're considering a trip to the ER, this would seem to me to qualify as an emergency worth calling the pdoc about.

Manny, I really hope that you get help as soon as possible, this has been coming for a while and it is time to let people take care of you for a change.

Manny, I really hope that you get help as soon as possible, this has been coming for a while and it is time to let people take care of you for a change.

++++It is my own fault because i skip my meds to drink... I am two days on my meds now.... we shall see.

Maybe AA is in my future.

Archived