CrazyBoards.org

a pill splitter that doesn't suck

I used to have a solid orange pill splitter that was so-so at splitting pills. Then I bought a clear plastic one so I could see what I was doing and that helped. Then it started not going straight down when it was cutting, and jamming so that it broke the pills sometimes unevenly instead of cutting through them cleanly. Any suggestions? I'd like to see what I'm doing while getting clean breaks.

I use a razor blade.

sorry. I r old skool.

i had a blue one that I picked up at this "raley's" (local chemist) that was WAY cool and always worked but then either white kitty or black kitty stole it and it disappeared.

[don't ask, long story...this was back when I was living on my own]

sorry i'm not much help.

I used to have a solid orange pill splitter that was so-so at splitting pills. Then I bought a clear plastic one so I could see what I was doing and that helped. Then it started not going straight down when it was cutting, and jamming so that it broke the pills sometimes unevenly instead of cutting through them cleanly. Any suggestions? I'd like to see what I'm doing while getting clean breaks.

I knew I fergot to add something to the crazystore. I use one of these.

http://astore.amazon.com/crazyboards05-20/...2271123-8308413

Not a splitter, but check this out.

Mad Hatter Pill Boxir?t=crazyboards05-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000QV0GGG

I use a razor blade.

I would probably leave blood all over a table doing that, unless maybe I ground the pill to a powder first...

Yeah, with *that* much energy and enthusiasm I wouldn't need the damned medication!

A paring knife can work fairly well though.

I knew I fergot to add something to the crazystore. I use one of these.

Heh. That's the exact one my wife bought for me after I complained how shitty my first one was. Works excellent too.

I got mine for free as a Christmas present from my pharmacy. Seems to be pretty good. I only use it to split clonazepams.

Tom

Wuss. I split those into nearly perfect eighths with nothing but my thumbnails. Anything scored I can at the very least get in pretty neat halves that way. You people and your pill splitters...

• 2 weeks later...

i scored one off a veterinarian once that was totally decent; if you can't find anything you like, you might ask someone at a local animal practice.

mine came from a large-animal vet, though. even so there were things even that splitter couldn't handle. like the four-inch-long unscored tablets i was supposed to somehow get down 1500 pounds of angry horse...

with a bit of practice, and if you don't mind having them around the house, razor blades do work best of all, though. they're cheap, and they're easy to replace when they get worn or dull. with a splitter, you have to replace the whole thing.

I always took a very short pair of scissors, latched onto the pill with the blades aligned, pointed the end of the scissors+pill into a cup, and heave-ho. If I shook too much, there'd be <insert drug name here> flying all over the place. That notwithstanding, I'd use a knife.

The only thing I find to be *almost* foolproof, however, is using my teeth. The major risk is collateral damage to my tongue. Note that I don't recommend doing this with trazodone's generic Dividose tabs, as tempting as it looks to bite through the creases on those 150mg horse pills. The stuff tastes horrible. Besides, those particular ones can be broken with your hands, providing you have a straightedge around to put the pill onto.

Of course, you're talking to someone who has been known on rare occasion to open a beer bottle with his teeth. And has only had one cavity the past 24 years, and that one was due to the tooth being impacted.

• 3 years later...

Thanks to all of you in 2007 who posted info on pill cutters.

Today, Tuesday February 8th 2011, I found the clear Apex Deluxe with the blue inside online for under $4 thanks to your still current recommendations, and still viable links. Information... the gift that keeps on giving.

Thanks again for sharing.

Judith

Bronx, NY

Archived