CrazyBoards.org

Do SSRIs affect blood clotting?

Well, they did say new users. When I'm doing stuff like moving, repairs, etc. I cut my hands often and they don't bleed very much. However, I'd expect a pill cutter to make a pretty bloody cut, while not causing all that much pain. Probably not worth drawing any big conclusions.

If you really need an antidepressant, and you have this side effect, it may still reduce the chance of bleeding as you will be less likely to bleed intentionally. Maybe even reduce the chances of having a stupid accident too. (Hard to drive well if you're really down in the dumps.)

BTW, I have a pill cutter with a clever little retractable shield that would have made it very hard to get a cut. Unfortunately, after a while it broke. Mayber there's another one that doesn't break.

Yes. SRI's reduce clotting & increase bleeing & bruising. Platelets need serotonin & can't make their own so they uptake serotonin from your blood to function, they take it up in the same way that nerve endings reuptake it, so SRI's reduce the serotonin content of platelets. When scientists are testing SRI doseages in people, they use platelet serotonin content because they are unable to test nerve reuptake in a living brain.

Archived