CrazyBoards.org

What are your panic attacks like?

Mine are relatively new. Before the last 2 panic attacks in the last month, I haven't had any since 10 years ago! I can't breathe, I feel like someone is choking me and I start shaking. I also feel so dizzy that I feel like I'm going to faint. One of the panic attacks occured in front of 45,000 people at a baseball game because I knew they are reading my mind and this gave me severe anxiety. There also was a lot of activity around me like seeing UFO's and aliens beaming down and seeing the crowd going crazy. The one today was pretty bad but I can't find a reason for it. I know panic attacks can happen for no reason. So, what are your panic attacks like and how do you deal with it?

I've only had one panic attack as an adult, I think. I was in the backseat of a car with the bosses where I worked in the front seat. All of a sudden I felt like I was watching from a distance, and then I felt like I was going to barf, and then I felt like I needed to open the car door and jump out, even though we were going probably 40 mph. I don't really know how I coped with it. I think I tried deep breathing and talking to myself... then I had to endure a concert with them and my anxiety.

my panic goes straight for my bowels. My stomach starts to feel like in turmoil and then the cramps start and bang I need a bathroom. Whats odd is sometimes when I do get the toilet nothing happens. The urgent feelings fade and there is no bowel movement. I'd rather have any other feeling than needing to go with no where around. As you probably know public bathrooms can sometimes be a challenge. They are often filthfy but I have no choice. Sometimes I have to take alot of immodium to get through the day.

I can relate. Public bathrooms are one of my pet peeves. They are filthy and disgusting. I have tiny bladder syndrome, so I end up having to use the restroom at places like Walmart or the grocery store. UGH! Horrible!

I have multple panic-attacks daily. Basically, I feel an emptyness in my soul. Then I freak out and starting crying and feeling sorry for myself. I then cheer myself up (I've learned how to after so many years of pain). I also get tremors and the shakes. As well as hot and cold flashes, goosebumps, and major headaches. I lose my apetite and get very paranoid.

I panic over the smallest hurdlles lately. I guess I feel...

If I've always been going through bad times, when will the good times start? Yunno, like, is this karma? I have never done anything to that extreme to deserve this much karma. So, I try and cancel that thought out. Grrr, My thoughts are racing. Maybe I'll write more laterz.

Peace

MC

I started having panic attacks when I was 11. Basically, rapid pounding heartbeat, cold sweats, shaking, light headedness, hard to breathe, dizzy, feeling like I'm going to die.

I've had the panic attacks under control for the last 7 years, but lately I've been waking up with panic attacks in the night. Those are the worst.

I used to get the really bad panic attacks - hyperventilation, fear of dying, choking sensation etc.

I find on medication I still get them but they are different - my breathing seems to lose its natural timing, along with an associated general fear and concern. If I am out somewhere I usually want to go home - to flee.

They still suck, but not quite as much.

I generally get mine in situations where im waiting, afraid of the unknown, nervous, pyshical excersise, when im stressed or feel out of control...

symtoms - feel like im on intense drugs and im going paranoid, feel uneasy, dizzy, lightheaded, very panniky, red blotches, shaky, need to go to the toilet, racing heart..

my therapist says it effects everybody in different ways, the thing that annoyed me the most with the anxiety is that when i started having them the constant 'feeling weird' feeling never left me, i couldnt feel normal again for months... havnt had one for a coupla weeks and am starting to feel like im out of my weird 'bubble

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest_Tammy55_*

Symptoms -

Like your swimming along in a nice pool on vacation in some great hotel - your life. And suddenly you start to drown, you panic and start thrashing that makes it worse, your gulping for air, thoughts race, your going to die, panic!

That is what it going on in your head when your setting next to someone in a movie theater and having a panic attack.

They get better over time and with medication - you may only be wading in the pool on the shallow end, but the memory of drowning is still very prevelant. When it is under control you may be completly out of the pool, but you can see it and remember what it is like to drown. And you never know when you will wake up and be in the pool, drowning again. It is scarry, it sucks, like a reoccuring dream that you have awake.

Over time it gets better if you dont have one for a long time. But take strength that you make it through, and eventually learn how to "swim" thought the panic attacks and get better at it and they dont last as long. Hardest part is they are out of your control. Like someone just throws you back in the pool when ever they want, without your consent, without warning and without help.

Hope that helps people understand

Tam

Mine have varried over the yrs, in the past they only happened when i had to deal with social situations, or stressfull stuff, i been dealin with them since jr high, was just usual the same thing tho, sweating, need to get the hell out of whereever i was , breakin into crying, urge to throw up. chest tightness

But over the last month, they have escalated, anything and everything is causing them, from being alone to even talkin to my gf, this happens daily, sometimes two or three times a day. and they are completely different then my past ones, these are full out cant breath, hyperventalating, shaking, my vision goes blurry. last night i actually had my worst one ever, lasted 4 hours, nothing worked, xanax, clonazapam, nothing, finally ended up in the hospital. i think honestly i rather go back to the ones i used to have, not these ones, i mean i still get the other ones but i dunno how to put it, least the other symptoms i could handle alot better.

but i do have a question for anyone out there who has the whole hyperventalating attacks, have u ever like damaged ur chest muscles in the process of the attack? it seemed weird to me but the er doctor said it was possible as he shot me up full of muscle relaxents cos mine were all messed up and painful

• 1 month later...

I get extremely worried that I may have a cardiovascular event. My HR increases dramatically and my blood flow doesn't feel like it's perfusing my muscle tissue. My breathing quickens and gets shallow. My limbs will go numb, especially my fingers. Waves of vibration radiate through my limbs. My heart feels sharp pains. I get extreme paranoia, like everyone around is against me. My flight or fight response initiates quickly and I feel like I need to make a decision but I can't make it. Soon anger ensues. I feel like every single thought and neuromuscular action potential has to be focused on fending off an attack. I then feel like I am at a most primitive level and I am fighting for me life with no weapons. Almost like I am naked with only a scarf covering my private parts. I feel like I am a primitive human having to fend myself off with my hands and everyone is against me (even my higher power). Terrible feeling!

I get tunnel vision, I can't draw in enough oxygen, my heart rate skyrockets, there's a ringing in my ears, and I generally feel I'm suffocating. It's hard to think, but I try to tell myself it's a panic attack and get myself into child's pose (yoga) or put my head between my knees and breathe as deeply as possible.

I get very dizzy and overcome with a feeling of terror. Sometimes I can barely stand up and when I do, I rock back and forth to keep my balance. I am diabetic and it is much like having a low blood sugar event, except for the terror that something bad is going to happen. They only last 15 minutes or so, but once it was bad enough that I had to call my tdoc and see if she thought I should call my pdoc. She did and pdoc told me to take another Klonopin and then another an hour later if it was still going on. She also bumped my Lamictal up to 300 mg. from 200 mg.

Tommy

• 2 months later...

I feel like I cant breathe and as though there something is very wrong and im dying. I feel as if I am about to have a heart attack, my heart races and pounds, my chest tightens and I feel as though im not getting enough air in my lungs. I then feel as though im going to pass out and I feel very "out of it" and that if I stop talking to someone that I will pass out and no one will know that has happened.

I sweat and feel nauseas and as though I need to open my bowels. I also feel like I have to sit or lay down and that I cannot move my body at all. Very very scary.

I've suffered with panic attacks on & off for 8 years but currently they are the worst they have ever been.

I gasp for breath, shake all over, my legs go weak, my vision goes dark, I get extremely scared, I feel like i'm going to faint & I get a weird feeling of numbness shooting through my body.

;)

• 3 months later...

This is my first, post, I have had severe panic disorder, mania, and agoraphobia that was relatively controlled with 150 mgs. of Zoloft for the last 10 years, although I take 12.5 mgs. of Ambien, 4 Tylenol PM's, and usually need 2 or 3 cocktails to get to sleep. I also have such fear of panic that I pretty much self-medicate whenever I have to face any situation that may make me panic.

Anyway, recently my idiot doctor decided I was on too much Zoloft AND needed to get off the Ambien, so she weaned me ridiculously quickly from the Ambien and then cut my Zoloft down to 125 mgs.. So after 2 weeks i was off the Ambien and down the Zoloft and had the most INSANE PSYCHEDELIC FREAK-OUT PANIC ATTACK EVER. I was hyperventilating, my heart was going a million miles and hour, I could not feel my body, everything was numb, I was sweating yet freezing, I knew I was going insane, I didn't recognize mysef in the mirror, I was dizzy, faint, I felt weightless, like iwas floating away, i actually vomited on my livingroom floor, I felt like I was falling in an endless black hole, I had no sense of balance, I had no personal boundaries, I felt severe dissasociation, etc, etc. After two hours of this I eventually came out of it but since then I have continued to have terrible panic attacks with the same symptoms. finally my docor gave me my meds back but they were so incapacitiating I was ready to go to the mental hospital.

They are the most terrifying things anyone can ever endure.

I saw a psychiatrist on Saturday and he prescribed Serequol for my insomnia, mania and anxiety, plus fixed my Zoloft, and gave me xanax for the time being. I have been on it two days and so far no panic attacks.

Archived