CrazyBoards.org

Girls who complain about their problems at greater risk of developing anxiety, depression

I realize they are talking about adolescents here and kids are weird, but there is a high WTF factor here.

I don't see how they are able to find any causal connection here.

If they want to figure out why 13 year old girls are psycho, they need to dig deeper than this.

I'm going back to bed.

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/girls-who-c...sion-13706.html

A researcher at the University of Missouri-Columbia has found that girls who talk very extensively about their problems with friends are likely to become more anxious and depressed.

The research was conducted by Amanda Rose, associate professor of psychological sciences in the College of Arts and Science. The six-month study, which included boys and girls, examined the effects of co-rumination

The rumination-depression-gender link is pretty well established in adults. Although I'm personally not thrilled with portrayals that present it as "well, you should just stop thinking about it." I mean, we don't know WHY these people are ruminating more. Maybe it's because something else makes them prone both to rumination and depression. Maybe there's an "off switch" for rumination that isn't working in them. etc.

The research was conducted by Amanda Rose, associate professor of psychological sciences in the College of Arts and Science. The six-month study, which included boys and girls, examined the effects of co-rumination

ROFLMAO!!! Have these people met?? Definite WTF. I have been teaching middle school for 4 yrs. and before that I subbed part-time at middle school for four years, so I am more of an expert than the moron who wrote this article. Note: adolescent females do not ever stop talking. Talking with their friends, which inevitable includes complaining, is at the top of the most important thing in their lives. It is also normal and healthy and very very common.

Oops! I meant to say have this people met a 13 year old young woman??

An associate professor is qualified to do research in their field, and has been approved to do so by the committee of professors who oversaw their dissertation work. A team of tdocs and pdocs is (usually) not, because they (usually) do not have training in how to do research.

Knowing how to treat people and knowing how to do research is not the same thing. Research is much more difficult than meets the eye. Graduate and post-doctoral training makes you make a whole lot fewer stupid mistakes. If you see stupid mistakes in research, there's a good chance they weren't actually stupid but are there for good reason. And they're a fraction of what you get if you hand people with no research training a bunch of funding money and say "go run".

co-ruminate, eh?

i didn't complain to friends -- ok i did when i had a few..

but i can also see co-ruminating ('oh, go talk to your little friends about that') as a way of dealing with adult figures who are not at all responsive to or aware of the real concerns of kids.

and i would divide girls who don't complain -- ahem, co-ruminate -- into two groups: those who are playing sports and shit, maybe who are dealing with the regular teenaged stuff, but in whatever positive ways they're doing so, and i venture to say complaining once in a while too; but then the other group is those girls who don't co-ruminate or complain but they're also not doing anything positive -- they've WITHDRAWN. and maybe the last to go is the few friends who might support one another in their painful feelings.

sure. let's blame them for forming a support group with no qualified professional to lead it. (grrr)

i think blame the world for basically ignoring the realities of girlhood, to the point that even when girls are screaming, no one is hearing it. this is only a subset of an entire problem manifesting in alienation and violence.

i think blame the world for basically ignoring the realities of girlhood, to the point that even when girls are screaming, no one is hearing it. this is only a subset of an entire problem manifesting in alienation and violence.

can't we just blame the world for all of our problems?

hehehehehehe ;)

Um... maybe those girls are talking about their problems more, and showing higher scores for anxiety and depression, because they have more problems/are more inclined for whatever reason towards anxiety and depression.

There's a correlation here, but not so much a causal relationship being proven, and it's kind of irresponsible (though unsurprising) for the researcher to be spinning her findings as though she had in fact found a causal relationship between the co-rumination, as she calls it, and the increased depression & anxiety.

That the rumination precedes the depression is suggestive - she's not just saying "people who ruminate are depressed", she's saying "people who ruminate develop depression later". It's still true that there could be a third variable - maybe something causes ruminate, and causes depression downstream, but stopping rumination won't stop the depression. But without further evidence, the time lagged relationship is not entirely unreasonable evidence for causation.

I don't particularly like this line of research, and I mean to think a lot more about it at some point, but I don't think her conclusions are unreasonable. It's a good hypothesis to keep investigating, though, because it is disprovable.

Firstly, at least in the quoted bit, I don't see any suggestion of causality. It sounds like you folks are just complaining that they are reporting an actual correlation they found. Secondly, it's a pretty easy connection to suggest that there is a causal link. In Buddhist thinking, it is a well-understood idea that excessive inward-thinking -- thinking too much about oneself -- is the root of depression. That they would find this link between people complaining a lot and being depressed later is not at all surprising. Or you could take the non-causal interpretation that those who have reasons to become depressed also have reasons to complain; those with no reasons to be depressed don't. There are a lot of ways you could interpret the gender bias, but again, the quoted bit doesn't attempt to.

“When girls co-ruminate, they’re spending such a high percentage of their time dwelling on problems and concerns that it probably makes them feel sad and more hopeless about the problems because those problems are in the forefront of their minds. Those are symptoms of depression,” Rose said. “In terms of anxiety, co-ruminating likely makes them feel more worried about the problems, including about their consequences. Co-rumination also may lead to depression and anxiety because it takes so much time – time that could be used to engage in other, more positive activities that could help distract youth from their problems. This is especially true for problems that girls can’t control, such as whether a particular boy likes them, or whether they get invited to a party that all of the popular kids are attending.”

OK, granted, that is a suggestion of causality, but it is not stated as fact. It uses the words "probably," "likely," and "may" which is consistent with the Discussion section of any research paper, which is pointedly distinct from the Results. Given that this is not a research paper but an article, it seems even more appropriate to make suggestions at *interpreting* the results, which *factually* show a correlation.

If your complaint is that they show their presumptive bias and fail to point out equally plausible alternate interpretations that do not presume causality, well, welcome to my world. The findings on meds are filled with this sort of glaring bias, often more extreme in that they will present the speculation as fact. For instance, show me 1 research paper that demonstrates scientifically that depression is caused by serotonin imbalance. I dare ya.

I suppose I was reacting more from the feeling though, that their interpretation sounds pretty plausible to me. Being as I am a hold-out of the idea that depression actually stems from life circumstances and our individual personalities and coping mechanisms in dealing with those circumstances.

And yes, I'm backpeddling, and you are right. The article did imply causality. I didn't re-read before my post.

And everyone knows that girls/females talk more than boys/men - lol

JMO

LMAO, has a women ever gone to the ladies room alone, talk about co-rumination, that is a god given right I thought, it goes without question I often wonder what happens if a woman has pee anxiety.

DR

• 3 weeks later...

And everyone knows that girls/females talk more than boys/men - lol

JMO

LMAO, has a women ever gone to the ladies room alone, talk about co-rumination, that is a god given right I thought, it goes without question I often wonder what happens if a woman has pee anxiety.

DR

LOL. Yeah, women talk more than guys for sure. I've been married for a long time and it took a long time to get him to talk ..reallly talk...to me!!

i think there's a big difference between talking therepeutically with someone and excessively dwelling...obsessively..ya know? I hear some adults doing it. I've done it when I'm depressed...and ruined a friendship once so I'm cautious now. Another good reason to join a support group, eh?, so we won't necessarily drive away friends or create more depressed or problem'd people. ;) LOL

I suppose its possible for young girls to overly ruminate themselves into depression IF they have the propensity towards it. with all the cell phones, texting going on..we can't monitor as well as we used to can we.

There's a research term, "spurious", that comes to mind big time. Spurious results. All factors not accounted and some confounds not recognized. Teenage girls ruminate, co-ruminate, multi-party ruminate, hold ruminating conventions, talk, talk, talk. Most likely the correlation/causal link are what they are talking about or what underlies what they are talking about, not the fact that they talk a lot about something. (No boy will ever love me... over and over again because of regular teen agnst, or because of child abuse that's not expressed in words.) Besides, isn't excessive rumination a symptom of depression and anxiety. Perhaps here it's a leading indicator with cause and effect mistakenly portrayed backwards. Idk, it seems that there are many other more probable links than simply teens beating a topic to death.

I realize they are talking about adolescents here and kids are weird, but there is a high WTF factor here.

I don't see how they are able to find any causal connection here.

If they want to figure out why 13 year old girls are psycho, they need to dig deeper than this.

I'm going back to bed.

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/girls-who-c...sion-13706.html

A researcher at the University of Missouri-Columbia has found that girls who talk very extensively about their problems with friends are likely to become more anxious and depressed.

Archived