CrazyBoards.org

I was thinking about asking tdoc about CBT. Does anyone have any positive/successful experiences with it? I want to mainly address depression and anxiety and the thoughts/behavioral patterns that lead to or exacerbate them.

I took a 10 week CBT course. We used the workbook "Mind over Mood". We rated our anxiety and depression throughout the course and everyone's decreased by the end.

I think my tdoc has a cognitive approach. She tries to have me challenge my thoughts and try to see things in a more positive light.

You can pick up the David Burns book for pretty cheap and see what you think of the general ideas behind it. I was reading over it recently and it wasn't as bad as I rembered it being the first time I read it.

We've got it in the crazystore and it should be in most used book stores and such.

http://astore.amazon.com/crazyboards05-20/...4146433-5242466

I think CBT was what my tdoc (who is actually a social worker) used on my phobia. She gave me "homework" and stuff to work on and practice and if I was really motivated I would do the things and then I got better. The key is being motivated. I know when I am in a depression I am extremely unmotivated, so I don't think that type of therapy would work for me. But when I'm not depressed, just having anxiety and phobias, I find that this type of therapy can work really well. That's just my experience though, and I'm sure its different for everyone.

Because my mind appears to only work in terms of logic (I once had a Freudian tdoc who couldn't get past my "pathological defense mechanism" of rationalization), CBT worked out pretty great for me.

I heartily recommend it, but your defense mechanism will vary.

I have used the David Burns book and have some CBT styled sessions when I need them, and find them very useful. They are ideal for depression.

I really liked it, it was really comprehensive, and it had loads of blank templates to photocopy so you can keep using the same structured templates to lay out your thoughts. It helped me last between tdoc appointments, and I could take the sheets in and talk a problem through with more ease and insight.

Archived