CrazyBoards.org

Trying a new med ...again!

hi all

Have major depressive disorder and been on meds since my son was born 12 years ago. Had Graves disease and most of my thyroid has been removed and have needed synthroid since then. Can't seem to find an antidepressant that suits me and believe me I have tried!!!!!!!!Have just come off 2 1/2 years of Effexor as I have gained 20 pounds, have a sore face,sweat like a waterfall (only smelly) and no libido. Before that was on moclobemide for 7 years but did not have one good nights sleep EVER on that. Before that Xanax(bad addiction) for panic (detoxed for a year), Zoloft, Parnate, paroxetine, dothep, prozac ( constant elevator music in my head any time of the day or night and couldn't change the channel!) desipramine, mirtazapine and whatever else that I can't remember. I reduced the Effexor pretty slowly and it was horrendous in the withdrawal effects department and my doctor put me on Celexa after 2 weeks of no effexor. The Celexa stopped the head spins (Linda Blair syndrome) and I can sleep ok so far. Have only been on it for 3 weeks and feel pretty low. How long should I give it a chance for? I'm having shooting pains in my head and my body feels really stiff with sore joints, maybe just getting older (46) or is this a side effect of Effexor withdrawal still or Celexa? Too sore to even walk the dogs. Don't want to leave the house much. Have been through much worse in the depths of deepest, darkest, deadly and hopeless despair and come out of it. Do I stick with the Celexa for a while longer?Has anyone got an underactive thyroid and major depression out there that could please let me know what has worked for them medication wise? I would be really grateful for any advice, my doctor does not have any idea about thyroid disorders and depression. Thanks, you people are just great.

Well, I don't know much about the thyroid business, but  I saw a paper saying that it may take as long as 8 weeks to see results from an SSRI. Hope yours kicks in starting today.

I think shooting pains and such don't have to be a part of being 46 unless you are just lying around all the time, in which case I'd expect them. Perhaps if you just got up and moved around a little a couple of times an hour, pain or not, you'd feel a bit better the next day and could move more. (I'm 46 myself. Currently a bit sore from an episode of frenetic shovelling. Before that, moved almost everything I owned during some really hot days. All that bicycling paid off. Makes me feel younger. Would probably be lying in bed moaning otherwise. ) It used to really hurt to do stuff with my back injury, but if I moved around a lot, I'd feel better later. I'm not talking about heavy lifting, just walking around or even just getting up and down. We are not meant for more than 10 hours of bed rest.

Do I stick with the Celexa for a while longer?Has anyone got an underactive thyroid and major depression out there that could please let me know what has worked for them medication wise? I would be really grateful for any advice, my doctor does not have any idea about thyroid disorders and depression.

I have underactive thyroid, and major, hard to treat depression. Sometimes Effexor knocks the shit out of you no matter how slowly you titrate.  If I remember correctly when I went off it I was in misery for a long time.  I have taken and am still taking celexa which seems to work on the anxiety but not so much the depression, so my pdoc has added Wellbutrin to the mix.  I think it is all a crap shoot at best but we have to keep trying.  Discouraged Sulu

Archived