CrazyBoards.org

There is no indication that crazy meds cause brain damage. In fact over the last five years, the opposite is being proven through the use of CT's and MRI's. Untreated MI causes the brain to atrophy and shrink. The good news is that after about 8 weeks on meds, new neurons being to regenerate, and the brain shows growth.

a.m.

[edit: Now, I'm not saying that meds can totally repair the brain or even completely stop the changes that MI causes. So consider that cognitive problems may be a result of the natural course of the disease continuing despite the meds, rather than the meds causing it.]

Medications can have cognitive side effects, which isn't brain damage- if you lower the dosage or switch to a different medication the effects improve. Episodes of depression can do major damage to your cognitive functioning. I noticed the last time I was having a really long episode that I had a lot of cognitive problems and after coming out of it, they improved drastically.

I don't worry about brain damage. I do worry sometimes that maybe I am having some side effects and watch for that but I don't worry about permanent stuff.

Brain damage by crazymeds, if any, is nothing compared to that from other causes (infection, neurodegenerative diseases of aging, autoimmune disease, genetic neuro disorders, etc.).

Unless you repeatedly overdose on crazymeds (something I don't recommend), from what current research says, it's unlikely that any permanent after-effects will ensue.

I worry about this a lot. I take a fair amount if high risk meds and have been on too many cocktails to count. If this is just cognitive crap from meds then ok. If there is some acual damage I would be pissed.

• 1 month later...

Archived