CrazyBoards.org

awesomest new software for people who like research

If you're into research - and I know a bunch of people here are - Zotero is the awesomest citation manager ever, and the most exciting piece of software I've run into in a long time. It's a Firefox extension that captures citations from the webpage you

I'm a fan of Diigo, which is also a Firefox extension. It lets you save any page and add highlighting to passages as well as comments and sticky notes, and it caches pages so if they move or disappear, you have a copy. You can share your notes and highlights, since storage is all online, or you can have private stuff. It's not perfect and doesn't do all the citation management stuff (that I've investigated), but it's pretty unobtrusive and easy to use, and is accessible from any computer which is cool.

What did you find in other managers that made them work better for you than zotero?

There seemed to be no easy way to integrate it with my existing bibtex database which therefore makes it useless in any writing environment where I'd use it.

I've increasingly been using txt2tags for technical writing. It has a well supported emacs syntax highlighting plugin and the bibtex support in emacs is also phenomenal, as you would guess.

My new favorite plugin, it's all text, allows for editing any web form textarea with any text editor, so I can easily edit even crazyboards posts with emacs or vim and insert citations keyed to my existing database . I haven't worked the kinks out of that yet. It's real handy on the backend of this thing where it want me to end css inside a textarea.

The LyX wiki has more resources related to graphical bibtex managers.

If you're not familiar with LyX btw, check it out. I ended up switching to Linux back in the late 90s just to use it for writing papers where I'd switch back and forth between symbolic notation and prose. It's written from the ground up for accedemic writing in the maths and sciences.

http://www.lyx.org/

The scipy wiki has cool toys as well:

http://www.scipy.org/Topical_Software

LyX looks cool. I might have to check it out.

I've grown quite fond of Emacs now that I'm getting the hang of it. There's a learning curve, but the built in tutorial is pretty good. And I love the "psychiatrist". I spent a good 30 minutes the other night playing with that because I was completely bored.

Archived