CrazyBoards.org

Scars and such

I've made a mess of my arm in the last couple of months and am now back to reality and regretting having given in to the urges.

I'm looking for vitamins, oils, creams and anything else anyone has tried with success to clear up the scarring. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Roosle

I've made a mess of my arm in the last couple of months and am now back to reality and regretting having given in to the urges.

I'm looking for vitamins, oils, creams and anything else anyone has tried with success to clear up the scarring. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Roosle

maybe there was something on this old thread.

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7829

Bio oil is being advertised in the UK as helpful in scar healing, I am not sure how well it works as I have never tried it. I think vit e capsules would work just as well and be marginally cheaper. Cocoa butter products is known to fade stretch marks, and lessen the appearance of scars too. That is cheap if that suits you better.

• 3 weeks later...

My son has had a lot of plastic surgery for an injury. The biggest thing I know of that helps a scar is pressure. I believe you can buy some strips at the pharmacy. Kind of like a band aid but clear and for thining scars.

Also tea tree oil will heal a open wound (small) with minimal scaring. I like to use liquid tea tree oil and make my own lotion mix as it can be stong. Remeber scars will lighten over time (most). And if you care to pay for it there are injections that can help break down tissue in scars.

Good Luck.

Ally

I cut my self, and absolutely hate the scars!

Can't bear people knowing whats going on, its actually what really helps me stop doing it!

Used bio oil, ok

what works quiet well is Mederma?

Don't know if you can get it there, its for surgury scars. works really well.

Ask your chemist.

Also why not use cover stick make up?

And then i add a tad of base into my daily body cream. Real mission, but only if you going to be showing those areas off on a hot day or something!

I used to cut and now I'm stuck with a bunch of stupid scars on my arms and stomach. My stomach scars have cleared up quite well on their own (it's been over 7 years since I last cut myself), but the arms are still obvious.

Sometimes I watch my professors as they look over my arms and get that look on their faces when they realize the scars are self-inflicted and NOT done on purpose for stylistic reasons (all of my scars are perfectly straight and spaced out evenly). I hate that. So much.

I'm going to get a full sleeve tattoo on my left arm (the arm that has the most scarring). I talked to an artist and the scars might not take the ink too well, but they could also be just fine. And I'm willing to try anything to take the focus off of my scars. Short of long sleeved shirts, I feel like this is the only way.

fwiw i've had 2 dermos tell me that vitamin e doesn't help and may make things worse.

Perhaps, but my surgeon suggested it.. and the only difference I saw was good. Did they say why it could be bad?

As far as the tape goes.. if you don't want to get it from the pdoc, what do you tell your GP when you ask for it?

fwiw i've had 2 dermos tell me that vitamin e doesn't help and may make things worse.

Perhaps, but my surgeon suggested it.. and the only difference I saw was good. Did they say why it could be bad?

i don't recall if they said why it was bad.

As far as the tape goes.. if you don't want to get it from the pdoc, what do you tell your GP when you ask for it?

i got it from a dermo, and once from my GP. in both cases i said i had scars that had were keloid scars and that they were on my wrists and visible and what could i use to help them. (at first one dermo suggested the band-aid brand otc tape, but i'm allergic to latex, and then she rx'd the cordran, and said it worked better in the end anyway.)

i got it from a dermo, and once from my GP. in both cases i said i had scars that had were keloid scars and that they were on my wrists and visible and what could i use to help them. (at first one dermo suggested the band-aid brand otc tape, but i'm allergic to latex, and then she rx'd the cordran, and said it worked better in the end anyway.)

And the GP didn't want to do any keloid treatments? Did you say that you were one of the rare few that got them or something?

And the GP didn't want to do any keloid treatments? Did you say that you were one of the rare few that got them or something?

i don't know what kind of keloid treatments you mean...

keloid scars aren't rare per se, but not everyone gets them. they are raised, hard, rubbery and often remain pink for many years.

keloid scars aren't rare per se, but not everyone gets them. they are raised, hard, rubbery and often remain pink for many years.

Hmm.. well I googled and got this. So I was a bit confused.

oh yeah heh.

those are extreme examples of keloids.

and i guess 10% is rare.... so yeah, rare.

i'd show you photos of my scars but 1)they've been treated w/ cordran and so are now flat and white and 2)i think it's kinda not okay to post pics like that .... basically they were raised about 1/8th of an inch to 1/4 of an inch at the worst spot above my arm, and they were HARD if you touched them, where other scars seem almost softer than the skin next to them, if that makes sense? but yes, that article does describe what a keloid is, i just don't kelate that extremely is all.

sorry if i'm not making 100% sense tonight i'm studying really hard for my exams right now and my brain is usually dead when i hit the boards. sorry cetkat.

oh yeah heh.

those are extreme examples of keloids.

and i guess 10% is rare.... so yeah, rare.

LOL..

Yeah.. I was like; man, how did these docs just want to give out some tape?..

i'd show you photos of my scars but 1)they've been treated w/ cordran and so are now flat and white and 2)i think it's kinda not okay to post pics like that .... basically they were raised about 1/8th of an inch to 1/4 of an inch at the worst spot above my arm, and they were HARD if you touched them, where other scars seem almost softer than the skin next to them, if that makes sense? but yes, that article does describe what a keloid is, i just don't kelate that extremely is all.

sorry if i'm not making 100% sense tonight i'm studying really hard for my exams right now and my brain is usually dead when i hit the boards. sorry cetkat.

It's ok, all good. I do understand what you're saying without the pics (which I would agree would be inappropriate on the board - pm'd, maybe.. but not posted). I don't need them though to see it in my head. How long did it take them to get flat and white?

Also: Good luck on your exams! I totally understand the lack of higher mental functioning afterwards.. ;)

How long did it take them to get flat and white?

about ugh, 4-6 months of twice a day application of the tape. i know it sounds like a long time, but they really were the kind of scars you could see across a room, and nothing helped *at all* until i tried the cordran.

Also: Good luck on your exams! I totally understand the lack of higher mental functioning afterwards.. ;)

thank you. after mid septemeber i'll have a brain again (MA qual exams).

How long did it take them to get flat and white?

about ugh, 4-6 months of twice a day application of the tape. i know it sounds like a long time, but they really were the kind of scars you could see across a room, and nothing helped *at all* until i tried the cordran.

Actually.. realistically, for something that major it sounds like great time. The one that I'm looking to help is still new-ish and not nearly as big. I just know it's going to need something more than time to look natural. The over-the-counter strips/pads are expensive, but work. If the tape is even better, it sounds like the right thing to get instead.

Actually.. realistically, for something that major it sounds like great time. The one that I'm looking to help is still new-ish and not nearly as big. I just know it's going to need something more than time to look natural. The over-the-counter strips/pads are expensive, but work. If the tape is even better, it sounds like the right thing to get instead.

if you have insurance, cordran can be cheaper than the band-aid strips.

it's available in the following sizes:

4 mcg/sq cm (UC 5350)-small roll, 24 in x 3 in (60 cm x 7.5 cm) NDC 55515-014-24

4 mcg/sq cm (UC 5350)-large roll, 80 in x 3 in (200 cm x 7.5 cm) NDC 55515-014-80

4 mcg/sq cm (UC 5350)-12 patches, each 2 in x 3 in (5.1 cm x 7.5 cm) NDC 55515-014-12

and all sizes (usually) have the same copay, and you can cut the tape to size. so my Dr. rx'd the largest roll, and i cut it to size.

if you have insurance, cordran can be cheaper than the band-aid strips.

and all sizes (usually) have the same copay, and you can cut the tape to size. so my Dr. rx'd the largest roll, and i cut it to size.

Excellent. Yeah, I thought it would probably be less.. but I knew it shouldn't be more. My rx insurance is new, so I'm not sure yet how it's going to work with what.. but I'm happy with it so far.

Thank you for telling me about the rolls and co-pay. That's extremely helpful. Once I get paid, I can go free to the college since I'm starting classes up again.. but they don't always know what they're doing (new docs). So I can see them not having heard of the tape, let alone the trick of getting more for less. I appreciate it.

Archived