CrazyBoards.org

UTI pain is really nasty

Panz

I've had numerous bladder infections, but not a full blown UTI. I'm TRYING to get a doctor call back, but it's been hours.

Any advice, horror stories etc would be welcome. Like how do you take care of your body during a uti, besides the meds. I'm drinking a lot of liquids, but the pain in my right side and back is horrible. Do they usually proscribe a pain med or am i just to tough it out?

Thanks in advance for any information and replies

Panz

I am plagued with regular UTIs due to a mis-shapen bladder. When I got them I drink crap-loads of water and cranberry juice - I mean, as much as possible and I take ibuprofen to ease the pain while urinating. You need to get as much fluid through as possible to help prevent it from worsening. Especially if you can't get meds. Cranberry juice is meant to be good for your urinary tract, though I can't quite remember why...

I also take a low dose of trimethoprim to stop it from getting worse. Because I get them regularly I have a stash and I just hit them with meds asap. I know you probably don't have any meds just lying around, but if you do - take the trimethoprim.

If you have blood in your urine, go straight to the emergency department at the hospital and get some meds. Because that means your infection is severe.

Things like Ural and other urinary-treatments are over the counter at the Chemist but they taste like crap. They help as well.

You poor bugger. I hate, HATE UTIs. They depress me beyond reason. I hope you feel better soon.

Good luck.

Bern

On top of my regular pile of pills, I'm on Nitrofurantn and Phenazopyrid for the stupid thing, but nothing for pain. I'm eyeing my Lortab, but want to do a complete read through on usage and conrainteractions, since I cannot get in tough with a doctor. I still have a thoratic muscle strain, but since it isn't hurting any more I stopped the pills. I'm thinking that I will just knock myself out with Seroquel instead...still pondering

Tanks for the reply Bern, I really need some one who has had these wretched, beastly things to talk to. Thanks muchly

Panz

When I had a *really nasty* painful UTI I was in a lot of pain, went to the doctor straight from work and then home to bed, I was so sore. The thing I believe helped me most is that I drank as much water as I possibly could to flush out the bugs from the bladder system, it will hurt at first but the more water you drink the more you dilute the bugs and flush them out. THe more water I drank (and peed out) the less the pain got, and most of the pain was gone within several hours. Kept taking the antibiotics of course.

Thank you AJ. I love your advice and it's pretty much what I'm doing. It' just hurts really awful

I love your quote on mindfulness. Thank you for reminding me =)

Archived