CrazyBoards.org

Calling all pain experts!

Ok. For the last few months I've been getting these randomly placed highly localized pain. It is moderate to severe. Very sharp and burning. It lasts a few seconds to a few minutes. It happens 1-4 times a day. It comes on instantly and goes away instantly. Sometimes muscle spasms are involved and sometimes not. I never know when or where it will happen. Its nothing like my other pains.

I get this... for almost as long as I can remember (as an adult, anyway). But it's not as frequent as yours. It comes and goes. When it happens, it will last for a couple of seconds and happen 3-4 times in succession (over the course of an hour or so). Sometimes I'll get it for several days in a row and then not have it happen again for weeks or months. It's totally random as to where on my body, though it most often occurs in what feels like my breast tissue.

I've always chalked it up to random firing of nerve endings. Kinda like the pain people who have had amputations get. I don't think I've ever even mentioned it to a doctor. While it can sometimes be painful enough to make me gasp, it only lasts for a second or two and has never really interfered with my life.

Ok. For the last few months I've been getting these randomly placed highly localized pain. It is moderate to severe. Very sharp and burning. It lasts a few seconds to a few minutes. It happens 1-4 times a day. It comes on instantly and goes away instantly. Sometimes muscle spasms are involved and sometimes not. I never know when or where it will happen. Its nothing like my other pains.

That happens to me, too. I've read that this can be a part of fibromyalgia, which I see is one of your diagnoses. (Of course, people who don't have it can get those pains, too. I don't mean for anybody to get worried about it.) Neurontin and Zanaflex help a lot for my chronic, low-grade pain, but they don't help stuff like this.

Sorry if this is anal, but for the sake of anyone playing along at home I feel the need to point out that there are no experts here, just varying degrees of geeks.

Geek is good. I'll remember that ;)

• 3 months later...

I get it too. I just chalk it up to muscle spasms. The ones in my side or chest are particularly painful, and even though it's too deep to know for sure that it's muscular.. it feels the same as the ones I get in my shoulder muscles. If it were anything else it wouldn't be so random and brief, IMO.

Archived