Thinking of taking the GRE

Hello,

I am thinking about going back to grad school again.  This time around I would have to take the GRE.  I've been diagnosed with MDD, Anxiety, and OCD, and was wondering if I qualified for any sort of accommodations (I checked out the ETS website - they have general info about psychiatric accommodations - http://www.ets.org/disability/psyplcy.html).

Is there anyone out there who has qualified for accommodations for any standardized testing based on their psychiatric diagnoses?  If so, was the process difficult?  Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I am 32, and have never had an academic accommodation before.  In fact, I just finished a M.Ed.  I just know that my condition is not getting any better, and I need to acknowledge my issues if I plan on going back to school.

Thanks!

Jadegreendiva

Guest wileycat

Based on your link, I couldn't find anything specifically about help with the GRE's but I will tell you that I got through them and I am awful at math too and did pretty well on that part.

What helped was taking one of those GRE prep courses and also getting one of those GRE prep books. Like these: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...299118?v=glance

The books with the test software are excellent practice materials. I tested and retested myself and when I got to the test, I knew what to expect and what to do. It is pretty formulaic and a class can help you learn how to deduce what the process of elimination is for GRE questions.

Seriously do these things and you should be fine even with a psych dx, though seeing what accomodations you can get is an excellent idea too. I was 30 when I did this.

I took the GRE twice and finally got a decent score (Verbal + Math), most everyone ignores the Analytical. Anyway to the point: I was tutoring a blind student in a MS program, she needed more help vith oral explanations and enlargement of material than she did with the actual subject matter. She had to take the GRE and was supposed to get many accomadations for her blindness but when she showed up for the test they were not only none of the accomadations she requested and was granted, but the test monitors were unwilling to see that she received any accomadations at all. So just beware of trying to get accomadations, and if you do make sure you actually have then come test day.

I also got the study manual and did practice tests the first time around. The second time around I worked on improving my vocabularly by listening to vocab building tapes whenever I went anywhere in my car. For the math, which is really not much more than Algebra and Geometry, it just took some review, I mean I had been out of high school for 14 years. So, I found a instructor at my college who taught remedial math and she tutored me for a while in order to brush up on the Algebra and Geometry. Both strategies were well worth my time, the second time I took the test I improved my V+M score over 200 points.

Good luck with the GRE. Do you have to take a GRE subject test too?

Erika

Thanks all for the suggestions,

No, Erika, thankfully I just have to take the general test! I'm applying to Ph.D programs in education, so I need to score at least a 1200 in order to have a chance. Ack about that poor student!  What jerks...

Thanks wileycat, regarding the info on books and classes.  I think I will need to find the money to take one of those classes ;)

Thanks again for the advice,

Jadegreendiva

Guest wileycat

You might be able to find a book like that at the public library. Just use the hell out of it and then renew the loan on it. Good luck!

Archived