CrazyBoards.org

Long hair due to depression

Is this caused by my mental health situation. I have started to grow my hair long. I should mention I'am male. I usually wear my hair moderately short but I havent had a hair cut in 6 months and I like It. This past weekend I took a notion to have my hair embelleshed with highlights. My wife volunteered to help me. Well I shit you not, we did it 5 times!!! I kept being unsatisfied with either the color or the highlights. My wife expeirenced what it is like to live with a mentally ill person this weekend for sure. We spent about 60 bucks on hair dye. I drove this woman nuts with this fixation. I half expected her to slit my throat when I wasn't looking, or pour the hair dye down my throat. Any way I going to try and display a picture of Tom Cruise when he was in mission impossible 2 to illustrate just how long my hair is. What do you think? I should mention I am 50 years old. My mother thinks it is male menopause kicking in. I do not look as good as Tom, but am far from ugly. I s this definately a symptom?

post-958-1185193081_thumb.jpg

Well, *personally*, I see nothing wrong with long hair! I love it on guys! <I mean, you do wash it often, right?> Who cares how "old"/young you are? I say go for it... unless it hampers your job for some reason. But depression, yeah, the last thing I care about is getting a haircut. After all, that's what rubber bands are made for.

Yeah, I'm with Rabbit. I like long hair, and I'm older than you. As she said, as long as it's clean and smells good, the more, the better! I have never been able to figure out this whole shaved-head thing. Why would men want to look like neo-nazis or storm troopers? I don't get it.

As for the color, I get my hair colored by a pro. It's too easy to screw it up using home stuff. If you want a specific kind of streaking, you should go to a good stylist.

Tell Mom to mind her own beeswax.

olga

Well, this explains emo guys. ;)

(That was a joke. I suppose that would also imply that growing one's hair long would correlate with trying to act depressed. Or at least to write sappy lyrics and then start screaming them at the top of your lungs. Tight clothing, piercings, and tattoos optional. Your stereotypes may vary.)

I have my own hair on the long side, too (not as long as you, I suppose, but almost). (And of course, like you, I don't identify as "emo".) My cutoff point [EDIT: that pun was SO not intended] for feeling that my hair's too long is when it starts to obscure my vision. :)

I had it that way actually since my first depression remission (2004), so for me it didn't correlate any with my depressive mood. I do find that long hair is great to fiddle with or pull on in times of stress and anxiety.

Long hair is also good for pissing off my neat-freak parents (especially Dad). Sometimes I take subtle but pathological joy in this.

I think that long hair is not the problem. Impulsivity, fixation and irritating your wife might be. Be sure to mention this to your doctors.

if you're saying you like your hair long, then i don't think it is long because you're depressed. you're actually doing something nice for yourself and telling others to f-off. good for you! have your hair however you please.

it would probably be cheaper to go to a salon and have your hair done rather than spend $60 to do it at home with a million kits, but that wouldn't have solved your hair fixation.

i don't know if hair fixations qualify as a symptom of depression. if anything, it would be an ocd or hypo. but you didn't list anymore symptoms of those, so it was probably just a freak incident. i don't think it is anything to worry about.

now, depression is, but you can deal with that with your pdoc. in the meantime, leave your hair alone! hair dye can damage your hair. ;)

My hair is currently an inch and a half long and spiky on top, and I love it. I'm also depressed. I guess we have opposite tendencies! Since I've started going to Supercuts, I can get a hair cut on the spur of the moment, because those stores are in every shopping center there is. I'll just say, "ah hah!" and pull in. 15 minutes later my hair is cut and my wallet is only $13.50 lighter.

Anyway, I'm with Olga. The bald look is yucky. Especially on young men, and even moreso on Howie Mandel.

I don't get the whole shaved head look. For some reason around where I live it's pretty trendy. I buck the trend. My hair goes a little more than halfway down my back when it's wet. I like it. If others don't they can piss off.

there was once a study that showed drinking soda pop (keep it coast PC) made hair grow longer.

turns out hair grows more during summer, something about sunshine and the pituitary gland. people also consume more soda pop in the summer. if you live down under i guess the argument is void. careful with the obsessions

I have long hair due to depression, lack of fundage and having had the worst haircut of my life seven or eight months ago. I went to a high-rated salon, which turned out to be a bunch of queens on an ego trip, and dude charged me $60 to unevenly razor the shit out of my hair and leave me looking like a cancer patient.

Now it's all grown out and I want to look like Beyonce, dammit! Even my face.

starved the barber for nearly three decades. top went bald, the rest thin as frog's hair. always tied back-began to look like cheap assed artist paint brush. now buzz monthly. who am i gonna impress at nearly 61?

when it used to get wrapped around the castors beneath an automotive creeper it would get my attention quickly. was of course deriguer on haight street circa '66.

anything that relieves the misery of depression is a good thing. anything that does not hurt a soul.

Is this caused by my mental health situation. I have started to grow my hair long. I should mention I'am male. I usually wear my hair moderately short but I havent had a hair cut in 6 months and I like It. This past weekend I took a notion to have my hair embelleshed with highlights. My wife volunteered to help me. Well I shit you not, we did it 5 times!!! I kept being unsatisfied with either the color or the highlights. My wife expeirenced what it is like to live with a mentally ill person this weekend for sure. We spent about 60 bucks on hair dye. I drove this woman nuts with this fixation. I half expected her to slit my throat when I wasn't looking, or pour the hair dye down my throat. Any way I going to try and display a picture of Tom Cruise when he was in mission impossible 2 to illustrate just how long my hair is. What do you think? I should mention I am 50 years old. My mother thinks it is male menopause kicking in. I do not look as good as Tom, but am far from ugly. I s this definately a symptom?

Maybe it's a sign of something else, but I don't think spending that much attention on your appearance has much to do with depression. Did you wife complain? Some of it mght have been fun. I'm almost 50 myself. Hard to think of that as old. I still do foolish things. If this hair thing doesn't create job trouble or something, go for it. And if you can afford to have job trouble, go for it if you think it's worth the trouble.

I just got a foot of hair cut off-coinciding with the remission of my depression. I got my usual bleached, chunky highlights by the same hairdresser I've been seeing for 8 yrears. i so totally love my haircut. It lifted my depression even more. It made me feel better about myself big time, especially since I've gained so much weight. So maybe you are the opposite-warding off depression by making your hair the way you like and want it.

But, truthfully, hair is nothing compared to depression. When you are really depressed, you don't give a f... about your hair or anything else, except for all the things you are obsessive and anxious aabout. mel

My hair goes down to the small of my back, but I haven't had it cut in ten years (just trimmed the ends). Before this I always wore it "1/2 inch on top and tapered sides & back". But I see no connection to depression.

Tommy

I have never been able to figure out this whole shaved-head thing. Why would men want to look like neo-nazis or storm troopers? I don't get it.

olga

I have never been able to figure out why you would judge me as being like a neo-nazi or a "storm trooper" just because I shave my head. What an assinine comment on your part.

I use to have a mohican when I was younger and had friends who were skinheads. None of us were Neo-Nazis or racist even though several friends were beaten up 'cause of how they looked.

Personally I now like short/bald hair especially when its just growing through as its usually so soft!

As to doing something to your hair whether it's a cut/style or colour or both is something women have been doing for years! And it can be for numerous reasons! Wanting a new look cause you're pissed off, angry, depressed, wanting to look good and more! It's great if you look good but terrible if it comes out lookly like shit! I have cut my hair when really depressed and disgusted with myself and then "come to" and have had to explain to the hairdressers what happened. In fact several female hairdressers said they totally understood and it wasn't uncommon.

Hawk

Shaved head IS way better than Comb over. My brother in law looks sharp with his head shaved and a goattee. It suits him perfect! I have a picture of my estranged hubby (pre me) with long hair, it was the picture that got me to answer his email (I admit, online dating :) ) Of course he doesn't have that beautiful long hair now ;) . I love long hair on guys!! Eddy Veder kind of hair (when it was long) Now the whole American Rejects mop hair look is cute too. Justin Timberlake shaved... oh make me vomit, oh wait Justin Timberlake makes me vomit any way he looks. :wtf:

Ahhhh men, hair, nice smelling clean hair.. men big hands... :cussing: oops way off topic folks (can't tell it has been over a year since I have gotten a lil sumfin sumfin can ya)

I have never been able to figure out this whole shaved-head thing. Why would men want to look like neo-nazis or storm troopers? I don't get it.

olga

I have never been able to figure out why you would judge me as being like a neo-nazi or a "storm trooper" just because I shave my head. What an assinine comment on your part.

It's okay. I know that olga's comment came off as very offensive to you... perhaps you should assert that you're quite comfortable with your scalp as it is, and that silly comparisons aren't going to make you change your appearances. I'm assuming you're quite comfortable with how you look, in any event.

When my hair gets too long, my parents call me a "dog" (which, although an amusing epithet in the US, is a very nasty insult in the country they grew up in). I tell them I'm quite happy being a dog, if that's what they want to call me. I also get told that I look exactly like Sanjay from American Idol (though I had my hair long way before he did). Whether or not that's an insult is up to you.

Just putting in my two cents of commiseration. I know it might not make things better, but rest assured that nobody on the street's going to mistake you for a Neo-Nazi (and definitely not for a Storm Trooper, I hope).

Archived