CrazyBoards.org

unemployed and staying that way?

I have had a rough time keeping a job. I am a teacher and have been "let go" of my last 3 jobs. I have applied for numerous positions and get no interview. calling doesn't help or e-mailing. i just got my 5 yr. professional cert. in the mail and i'm afraid it is going to sit there collecting dust next to my college diploma. both took me a great deal of time, work and money. i could sub., but i couldn't survive on the income and no ins. also it is hit and miss- not steady employment.school starts in 3 weeks and i don't have a job. my dh keeps pointing out to me that i never get hired until right before school starts. (yes-that really sucks-not knowing all summer). i'm still worried and it's sucking.

i even have looked into other counties and private schools. sick of it. mel

I think it's pretty much the same all over. They always get vacancies or no-shows just as school is starting. In the mean time, if you want to keep your toe in teaching, then sign up to sub and keep hunting for positions to take over when someone leaves.

The last three years haven't been the most stable for you, yet you've done an amazingly well just KEEPING a job through all this. As you perfect your meds and have longer periods of stability, you should do better on the job and present a more "normal" appearance to those who matter. So, hang in there and keep plugging.

If you can't teach then you might find jobs in the business office of companies interesting, dealing with money, finance, billing and bugdeting.

good luck.

a.m.

Thank you guys for the nice replies. I don't know what I'll do if I dont' get a teaching job. I am used to making a certain amount of money and I dont know how I'll survive financially if I don't work. Subbing will not cut it. My dh mentioned me being a stay-at-home mommy (my kids will finally both be in school-yay!!) and him going back into mgmt. where he made a lot more $ Of course, we'll hardly ever see him, but I could work on my book and my art during the day. DH is turning our storage room into a studio for me.

I don't know when. I guess these ideas are something to consider.

Have you considered private tutoring? There's all those after school programs like Kumon or you could simply start your own little private clientele.

I don't know what field/subject you're in but it might be worth it to check out museums. Most large museums have an education department for handling school field trips, school visits, outreach programs, summer programs, and so on. I've applied for positions like that in the past but didn't get anywhere because there were no vacancies at the time.

Whenever I have a 'lean' employment year (less than half time classroom teaching) then I automatically know I will have to teach summer school that year and make plans accordingly. I just finished teaching my 6 weeks of summer school for this year last Friday!

I just found out there's a hiring freeze in my county for the school board. I'm screwed.

Oh shit, I'm sorry.

Is your teaching licence/certification valid in other counties/states? How close to a border with another county/state do you live? Are there any private schools nearby where you can inquire about openings?

I just applied online yesterday for unemployment. Supposedly, it is a fast process. I guess I'll have to wait and see. All I had to do was fill out a form online. a very long form. It said that I should be getting a check in a week and a half. Does anyone know how the unemployment process works? What % of your income you get (I live in Fla.). Right now, my state of mind is not really work-ready anyway. I have too many issues going on at home. I will keep trying to get a job. Let fate handle the rest. Is it really that easy to get unemployment?? I am not holding my breath.

I GOT A JOB!!! I will be teaching high school math. I start next week on Thurs. I am very excited and surprised.

Karuna-CHEERS FROM AFAR! Yay us!!!! I'm glad your first day went so great. love, mel.

Thanks, Loon, I would rather deal with the stress of working than the stress of not surviving financially when I have 2 kids in the house. I hope i don't get fired again. i am feeling mad. I want to tell everyone about my MI and be specific and consequences be damned. I'm so sick of having people wonder about me. You know those looks people give you? I want to come out of the closet!!!

Mel, Just a thought that now that you are employed you should consider finding out what your districts disability benefits are. If there is a private way to find out you don't have to disclose your MI until your ready. My husbands co. (International Co) offers and employee help plan separate from health. IT covered over six months worth of therapy for my teenage son for free.

Also food for thought, if you purchase long term disability it is better to go out on medical leave while you are employed than apply for ssd unemployed. I had been fired when I knew I wasn't going to be able to go back to work. I had all ready taken a leave with a state job I had previous. It would have been better $ to have went out while with the state.

I admire your desire and ability to work so please don't think I am suggesting sdi if it is not where you are at. It is just that a company has a responsibility to make accommodations for you if you are disabled. This can mean a lot of things depending on your co and situation. I do not know why you were let go but self disclosing your mi may give you the leverage you need to keep your job despite it. Good Luck.

Ally

Archived