CrazyBoards.org

Don't know what to do =[

I am quite badly social phobic or possibly have avoident personality dis. I am also depressed and suicidal. I can't leave the house. I haven't gone to school since the start of the year. I don't know what to do. The only thing which worked was Valium and I'm not prescribed that (or anything) at the moment. Help me.

I am quite badly social phobic or possibly have avoident personality dis. I am also depressed and suicidal. I can't leave the house. I haven't gone to school since the start of the year. I don't know what to do. The only thing which worked was Valium and I'm not prescribed that (or anything) at the moment. Help me.

Maceo - you were so helpful to me in answering my post about my teenage son and I really appreciate that. I hope you don't mind that I have gone back and read some of your older posts to get a sense of your situation. It sounds like you have some severe depression, anxiety, and phobia issues and that meds don't seem to have helped very much. That can be very frustrating. When you are a teenager and don't fit in socially its the worst possible feeling. My son also has social issues, but is highly intelligent and I've always thought that I would gladly trade some of his intelligence for more social ability.

I know that you are currently down on docs and meds, but I still believe that if you find the right one it could make all the difference. But its hard to find the motivation to get help when you're depressed, so its a visious cycle. Is there any adult in your life that you can turn to for help? It takes a lot of research to find a doc thats right for you and maybe a trusted adult can help you do that. I also think that a group therapy situation can be great for people with social phobias, but it has to be the right group and the people in it have to be screened carefully to make sure that they are all compatible.

My son was evaluated by a neuropsych and she diagnosed him with schizoid personality disorder. I got a second and third opinion about that and was told that its really not an appropriate diagnosis for someone under the age of 18, and the same for avoidant pd. You are most likely avoiding life because of the depression and social anxiety.

I don't know if you are in the US, but if you don't go to school here you can get in trouble. Has anything happened due to your not attending school? That should be a wakeup call to someone that you need help - a school counselor, school psychologist, someone!

There's nothing worse than having a 16 year old fall through the cracks, and I hope that doesn't happen to you. Reading back on this post I guess its not very helpful is it? Is there a hotline you can call for people feeling depressed and suicidal? Maybe they can offer you some help as well.

Are you seeing a therapist?

If there is one thing I know about this kind of thing, know from way too much experience, is that if feeds on itself. The more you self-isolate the greater the fear of breaking the isolation will become.

Get the hell out of the house. I used to have to pre-drink just to have to balls to go out and be social, but it did work as a kind of exposure therapy. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would disagree with me on this, but I really think there are worse things than that.

What have your tried?

CBT helped me be able to be present and sober at social functions as required and not absolutely hate it.

High dose SSRIs helped somewhat. Cymbalta has done better.

MAO-Is were seen as a silver bullet for years and years, Parnate in particular. Since you're currently not taking anything else, that might not be a bad way to go if you can find a pdoc who is either open minded enough or who has been around long enough to know about that.

If you have problems with chronic blushing and stuttering and getting embarrassed at the drop of a hat, beta blockers can help. There's even a surgical option for that now I think.

Maceo - you were so helpful to me in answering my post about my teenage son and I really appreciate that. I hope you don't mind that I have gone back and read some of your older posts to get a sense of your situation. It sounds like you have some severe depression, anxiety, and phobia issues and that meds don't seem to have helped very much. That can be very frustrating. When you are a teenager and don't fit in socially its the worst possible feeling. My son also has social issues, but is highly intelligent and I've always thought that I would gladly trade some of his intelligence for more social ability.

I know that you are currently down on docs and meds, but I still believe that if you find the right one it could make all the difference. But its hard to find the motivation to get help when you're depressed, so its a visious cycle. Is there any adult in your life that you can turn to for help?

Nope not really
It takes a lot of research to find a doc thats right for you and maybe a trusted adult can help you do that. I also think that a group therapy situation can be great for people with social phobias, but it has to be the right group and the people in it have to be screened carefully to make sure that they are all compatible.

My son was evaluated by a neuropsych and she diagnosed him with schizoid personality disorder. I got a second and third opinion about that and was told that its really not an appropriate diagnosis for someone under the age of 18, and the same for avoidant pd. You are most likely avoiding life because of the depression and social anxiety.

Yeah, I think you're right about that

I don't know if you are in the US, but if you don't go to school here you can get in trouble. Has anything happened due to your not attending school? That should be a wakeup call to someone that you need help - a school counselor, school psychologist, someone!
Well I'm 16 and I live in Australia and the law here says if you're 16+ you can choose not to go to school..

There's nothing worse than having a 16 year old fall through the cracks, and I hope that doesn't happen to you. Reading back on this post I guess its not very helpful is it? Is there a hotline you can call for people feeling depressed and suicidal? Maybe they can offer you some help as well.

I've given up on meds because 2 weeks ago the doctors in the psych ward took me off everything and said I didn't need medication, just therapy (even though medication has helped slightly, Valium helped HEAPS, and therapy hasn't worked at all). I just don't feel like going to the doctors trying to get meds when they are just going to try lame ineffective psychotherapy on me.

Are you seeing a therapist?

If there is one thing I know about this kind of thing, know from way too much experience, is that if feeds on itself. The more you self-isolate the greater the fear of breaking the isolation will become.

Get the hell out of the house. I used to have to pre-drink just to have to balls to go out and be social, but it did work as a kind of exposure therapy. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would disagree with me on this, but I really think there are worse things than that.

What have your tried?

A year of therapy with a few different shrinks plus all the meds in my sig.

CBT helped me be able to be present and sober at social functions as required and not absolutely hate it.

High dose SSRIs helped somewhat. Cymbalta has done better.

I've tried a couple of SSRI's and Effexor-XR (which is like Cymbalta) without much success. After starting on Celexa I was able to leave the house to go to the mailbox and such.

MAO-Is were seen as a silver bullet for years and years, Parnate in particular. Since you're currently not taking anything else, that might not be a bad way to go if you can find a pdoc who is either open minded enough or who has been around long enough to know about that.
I asked the psychiatrists at the hospital about MAOI's but they said they were no more effective than SSRI's and they had a lot more side-effects. They really think I should not be medicated and that I should just be in therapy

If you have problems with chronic blushing and stuttering and getting embarrassed at the drop of a hat, beta blockers can help. There's even a surgical option for that now I think.

I was on the beta-blocker Inderal at 10mg twice daily dose and I don't think it made much of a difference. I still have a bottle of those lying around here somewhere... Would a higher dose help?

Archived