CrazyBoards.org

I have a very rich and crazy imagination. I have always had this, even as a small child i would daydream and it was always the same series of dreams. My dream world is rich, colourful and in it i am happy and depression/anxiety free. My life is great, it's the life i would like to have if i were healthy and thinking about the life i have in reality just makes me feel sick!! As an adult whenever i feel stressed or anxious i find the only way i can mentally cope with it is too switch off from reality and step in to my dream world.

I am now beginning to think this is unhealthy as i am avoiding my feelings behind the anxiety and depression. I don't want to stop as i am afraid of losing my 'dream world' and reality is too hard to cope with 99% of the time, does anyone else use their imagination to escape reality? How can i stop doing this and start facing up to reality?

SW xx

I have a very rich and crazy imagination. I have always had this, even as a small child i would daydream and it was always the same series of dreams. My dream world is rich, colourful and in it i am happy and depression/anxiety free. My life is great, it's the life i would like to have if i were healthy and thinking about the life i have in reality just makes me feel sick!! As an adult whenever i feel stressed or anxious i find the only way i can mentally cope with it is too switch off from reality and step in to my dream world.

I am now beginning to think this is unhealthy as i am avoiding my feelings behind the anxiety and depression. I don't want to stop as i am afraid of losing my 'dream world' and reality is too hard to cope with 99% of the time, does anyone else use their imagination to escape reality? How can i stop doing this and start facing up to reality?

SW xx

I don't think you have to "stop". I think almost everyone does some of this. You just have to a fair amount of time dealing with "reality". Of course, when we are depressed, a lot of those negative feelings don't really correlate with "reality", though it's easy enough to go out and find some bad thing which is a plausible reason for any bad mood. If you're spending an hour or two a day of your conscious time in your dream world, so what? If you are spending half your working day there, that's a big problem.

Here's hoping you find a balance.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya, when im in a very depressive state (i.e. off meds) I find that I always go off into la la land because I know I am so incapable of dealing with the overwhelming negative and painful emotions I feel. So rather than being present in myself I go as far off in my imagination as I can because there are actually some pleasant sensations there.

Archived