CrazyBoards.org

Hello I stumbled upon this forum and it feels like a good venue to share some thoughts about an illness and treatments which for me has aparently been evolving over the course of Doctors I take. For the last 7 years I have been in and out of hospitals and given a handful of anti phsycotic and anti depressent medicines at extreme doses namely Olanzapine (zyprexa), Fluroxatine, Diazepam, Lithium, Lorazepam, Respiradol to name a few and recently im being refered Abilify.

With my wandering diagnosis and follow up treatment I have to ask if this drug really has an impact on mood and ability to function throughout the day. Most of the anti phsycotics I have been put on gave me a quick sand sensation after the treatment stacked during the course of a few days..Very hard to explain in any detail but working while that sensation was active wasnt possible. So if anyone is taking it on a regular basis would you please take a few minutes to let me know what the deal is.

I have listened to my Consultants sales pitch at how this is the newest breakthrough pill to hit the market but once I checked the offical website and saw not only was it a leading treatment for me and my 'hillucinations' its also a wonder drug for Bi-Polar. Im suspitious at the moment about starting a course of Abilify on that reason alone so I welcome anyone who has tried using it to tell it how it is ;)

Thanks for your time.

I was given Abilify during my inpatient stay, which was a month ago.They started me on 15 mg. I had some weird se's, but after being on it for 3 days, my severe suicidal depression totally disappeared!!!! I've had to since lower my dose due to akathesia, but I may go back up and add cogentin. I hope it works for you and welcome! mel

I take abilify. It can be activating, so I take it in the morning. I've taken risperdal, seroquel, and zyprexa in the past. abilify isn't sedating like those. I don't have side effects and it helps me with psychosis.

i really like abilify, it has done some remarkable things for me that i never would have expected from an antipsychotic.

it's not activating for me, i take it at night. we're all different.

my only side effects have been minor (3lbs) weight gain and constipation, which i deal with by taking coalace.

i just had my blood sugar and lipid levels done and it hasn't affected them at all.

let us know how it goes.

Abilify seems to be helping me. I have not had any sign of psychosis in the two years or so that I am using it. I take it in the morning just because I already take so many pills at bed-time. Though it doesn't seem activating, it does cause (according to my pdoc) some dyskenesia for which I take Cogentin.

Tommy

Abilify is a very good medication - especially for treating the negative symptoms of sz.

It has the best side effect profile of the atypicals, but is also the mildest acting drug. I personally take 60mg abilify + 15mg zyprexa/day as the abilify isnt enough on its own. But thats just me....

my pdoc said that abilify is actually better (in his exp) at treating bp than sz, but the makers would never admit that and push it for both. hey, whatever makes money and helps people! ;)

i take 15mg. i've been taking it for months. when i did a trial stop on it, i realized how important it is and won't be stopping it again anytime soon.

i've taken all the atypicals and i like abilify out of all of them. it doesn't seem to give me any side effects. my thoughts are straight, my moods stable, and my disposition good.

welcome! this board is a great place for trading support and info. i hope you stay with us.

I take 30 mg Abilify daily and it helps me a lot.I dont have any side effects (the first few days i have an acid burp and isomnia).

The only drugs i have tried so far is risperdal and abilify.

Abilify working better for me so far...i like it especially cause my negatives all less severe and i dont have any positive symptoms.

I was taking 15 mg. and cut my dose in 1/2. Now I'm feeling depressed. Wondering if I should go back up. I lost 10 lbs. since halfing my dose. So i'm not too sure if i should go back to 15 mg.

• 2 weeks later...

Abilify has zapped my depression, delusions and paranoia (well, most of it anyway). It caused me to gain 5 lbs though (but I'm not totally sure if this is from abilify).

I'd advise you to take it in the morning, as you'll have trouble sleeping at night (aka you'll toss and turn) and I also had blurry vision at the beginning of treatment but that went away in a couple of weeks.

Archived