CrazyBoards.org

Deleted as we cant stand any more piss taking

I've seen a variety of phenomena on the Internet that seem similar to what people describe as DID with non-human alters.

One is otherkin, which has the animal but not the DID aspect: people who claim to be otherkin (or therianthropes or other things - some of the animals people claim to be have their own internet tradition with a separate name), who believe they are not humans, but in fact wolves, dragons, panthers, or foxes, although rarely animals which are not culturally-valued or romanticized, like beetles or sloths.

Another is soulbonds. People who describe themselves as having soulbonds say that they have a fictional character living in their head. They don't describe it as an alter, though, more like a companion. My impression (though I could be wrong) is that this is in large part an anime fandom thing, with the soulbonds usually being characters from animes. I don't know of anyone who claims to have a soulbond as a component of or in addition to DID, but there may be.

A third is walk-ins. People claiming walk-ins (I think both for DID and non-DID people) say that they host a being from another dimension in their brain.

My impression from reading and talking to people who claim the above is that the first two aren't usually a result of mental illness. People who claim to really be wolves are not out in the forest bringing down deer and eating them raw, nor do they pee on trees when out for a walk; they're functional members of society (remember, for something to be a mental illness under the DSM, it has to cause impairment, not just involve implausible beliefs - this is why we can't drug scientologists even though it might be nice). People with soulbonds seem to be generally pretty chipper about it, particularly the teenage girls with the hot bishie boys living in their heads. I don't know enough about walk-ins to make a generalization; it strikes me as one of those things that can be delusional, or just trendy.

Regarding having a zoo in your head causing you distress, though, I strongly, strongly recommend you get into therapy. That's not normal.

Edit: I forgot about the otakukin, who believe they personally are reincarnated anime characters (like anime versions of otherkin, instead of soulbonds, who (often) believe they have anime characters in their head).

Oh you crack me up! ;) Why do all mental health places turn into bitch fests its like you can't exist unless you have Bloody Bi-polar. Delete this account please. I'm gonna randomize my password oh the joys.

I didn't see what Violets wrote at first but I assume she thinks that there are animals living inside. Or that she turns into different animals. I have no clue what it was about since it was deleted. But I turn into a bird. That's right a bird that believes she can fly! I tried several times to fly and I start speaking a different language that doesn't exist. That is just one of my 10 personalities. I've had that for about a year now.

Oh you crack me up! :wacko: Why do all mental health places turn into bitch fests its like you can't exist unless you have Bloody Bi-polar. Delete this account please. I'm gonna randomize my password oh the joys.

You know, a lot of us aren't bipolar at all. We just have a sense of humor about things. It's my personal opinion that if we can't sometimes laugh at ourselves and our conditions or see the absurdity of some situations, we're taking stuff way too seriously and getting way too worked up to be practical or introspective about things.

I've seen a variety of phenomena on the Internet that seem similar to what people describe as DID with non-human alters.

One is otherkin, which has the animal but not the DID aspect: people who claim to be otherkin (or therianthropes or other things - some of the animals people claim to be have their own internet tradition with a separate name), who believe they are not humans, but in fact wolves, dragons, panthers, or foxes, although rarely animals which are not culturally-valued or romanticized, like beetles or sloths.

I know a gent who "turns into a wolf" under stress. From descriptions given by others who've seen it happen, this may be related to sleepwalking. It doesn't seem to affect how he functions in the waking world, so it doesn't pass the basic test for a disorder.

A third is walk-ins. People claiming walk-ins (I think both for DID and non-DID people) say that they host a being from another dimension in their brain.

And this can be highly valued - or despised - in some modern subcultures and some traditional non-Western cultures. Some occult/neopagan authors and speakers have done quite well for themselves financially because of it...

Archived