CrazyBoards.org

Obsessive Thoughts vrs Intrusive Thoughts

I went to therapy today and I had a discussion with my therapist about these kinds of thoughts. He said that intrusive thoughts are basically caused by PTSD. Like if you get attacked by a flock of birds and then you see a feather on the ground that would be a intrusive thought. Is this true? I thought intrusive thoughts were unwanted thoughts but not necessarily thoughts related to PTSD. Cant obsessive thoughts be intrusive thoughts?

Also, I notice that my obsessive thoughts are not followed by a compulsion. Is this normal? Does it mean that I am not having a obsessive thought?

For example, I had thoughts about my so dying during meditation. I had repetitive thoughts like this for about four months, and then it went away. Is this the definition of an obsessive thought? Can I have OCD with out compulsions?

Sorry for all the questions. And thoughts or input is appriciated.

No, intrusive thoughts are not caused only by PTSD. For example, you may be concernced about the electricity being turned off, and that thought keeps intruding despite concious effort not to think about it.

I think there can be an overlap between intrussive/obssesive thoughts, and that is what my pdoc has mentioned to me. I was having great difficulty getting over an old girlfriend. Random things would continually trigger thoughts such as seeing a green wood on tv suddenly made me recall canoeing on a river, etc, etc.

a.m.

I got the impression from my pdoc that intrusive thoughts were not caused by memory associations or meditation, but literally came out of nowhere, uncontrollably, as you went about your daily existence. For example, meditation often does kick up any mental junk you have lying around, your mind will resist any kind of sustained concentration and try to distract you, thoughts you may have repressed or censored may come up, it's not a sign of mental illness in every case. I don't always have a compulsion when I get an intrusive thought, but then I am not OCD at all, and know very little about that disorder.

Archived