CrazyBoards.org

If I forget my nightly Cymbalta, I figure out this fact VERY quickly, generally within an hour of falling asleep. That's when I get extremely vivid dreams and drenching night sweats.

To enhance compliance with my morning meds, I always put the pill cocktail in a small bowl next to my nightstand every night. Alarm goes off the next morning, and I take them. This system really does help, as my morning meds are rather high in number (Synthroid, Mirapex, oxybutynin, 2 Lamictals, and of course, a FocalinXR - that's 6 pills.) There is no way I'd be able to remember all those as I get up half asleep each morning.

Anyways, glad you're back on your med/s. If my Cymbalta experience means anything, I assume that Effexor is one of those drugs that you don't want to miss even a day of.

Yeah, if I miss a dose, or take it late, my body immediately goes into withdrawal mode: nightmares, unbelievable lethargy, worst-mood-EVER, low tolerance for everything, no concentration span. It's as though I haven't made any progress in my treatment at all, and I feel suicidal and terrible.

Thank-fully, I am back on track now. No more missed doses.

Bern

My Husband usually reminds me to take them before bed, but I was too sleepy and somewhat drunk to remember. I shouldn't drink while on meds...

heh. and I won't preach to you, especially since it'd make me a huge hypocrite with respect to what I was doing 18 months ago (30+ drinks a week, whilst on the liver-killer Cymbalta. I am lucky my liver is still normal...). I have been on night meds for the past 5 years, so it's easy for me to remember to take meds at night. I think once you get some more practice with taking these meds, it'll become a daily ritual for you.

I'm not sure if you have a cell phone or not, but I use an alarm clock to remind me to take my meds. I never forget the a.m. dosages, but I sometimes forget the afternoon dosages. Just a tip

yep, I use this strategy too. but I also have the same problem with the afternoon meds that you do... I have to take one oxybutynin (Ditropan) at 11AM and a Mirapex and another oxybutynin at 2PM (and those aren't even MI meds). I'm unpleasantly reminded of a missed oxybutynin dose by the return of my profuse sweating issues. I generally don't get bad consequences from missing the afternoon Mirapex dose, though I do sometimes get seizing searing calf pain (similar to that seen in RLS).

i keep my meds (actually still in the bottles) out where i have breakfast in the morning. they're right there so i can't forget. there's no way i'd ever forget breakfast, because i'm so starving when i wake up that i will pass out if i don't eat.

effexor is one of those that you'll feel if you miss. there really isn't a way to feel better, besides taking the effexor. ask your pdoc how close together your doses can be before you have to skip a dose and wait until the next one.

i feel crappy if i don't take my adderall. it feels like a hangover. i get a headache, get tired, feel sick to my stomach, get sweats, and all of that. i think it is similar to effexor in that regard, but adderall is a schedule 2 stimulant. effexor just sucks (IMO. ;))

Effexor does suck. I woke up in sweaty nightmares this morning, feeling kinda rather horny, and I knew instantly that I had forgotten to take last night's dose. I am going to have the crappest day at work today. Fucking crap.

I blame work for this though. If the bastards hadn't forced me to work till 8:30pm (I'm a teacher, this is just wrong) then my evening ritual wouldn't have been so disrupted, and I would have remembered. My husband would have remembered - stupid bloody work.

Gah. Speaking of which, I gots to get going.

Bern

It's a night med for me because it basically knocks me out and I wake up happy. I tried taking it in the morning but it makes me tired all day.

Sounds similar to the reason I take Cymbalta at night, though. However, it doesn't knock me out.

I recently found out this article to back up my suspicions...

Kluge M, Sch

effexor is one of those that you'll feel if you miss. there really isn't a way to feel better, besides taking the effexor. ask your pdoc how close together your doses can be before you have to skip a dose and wait until the next one.

One thing I do if I miss a dose and can't wait for the next one is to just go ahead and take it.. then shift my schedule. Like, if I'm supposed to take it at night and forget, I take it in the morning.. then wait until morning on the next day to take it again - except I take it a few hours later. After a few days I'm back to taking it at night again.

Sounds similar to the reason I take Cymbalta at night, though. However, it doesn't knock me out.

Basically, they found out that in depressed patients, starting on Cymbalta increased Stage 3 (deeper) sleep on average by about 50%, and increased the time to when REM (usually dream) sleep began. Also, the quantity of REM sleep decreased by about 50% on average. (Interestingly, they do note at the end that non-depressed subjects don't always get the same effects on Cymbalta).

Wow, that would explain why my REM sleep has been awful since upping my Cymbalta and I'm getting tired earlier in the day. I'm used to sleeping in but getting mostly REM.. now I wake up early and feel like I haven't had any (body aches and pains).

Basically, they found out that in depressed patients, starting on Cymbalta increased Stage 3 (deeper) sleep on average by about 50%, and increased the time to when REM (usually dream) sleep began. Also, the quantity of REM sleep decreased by about 50% on average. (Interestingly, they do note at the end that non-depressed subjects don't always get the same effects on Cymbalta).

That's pretty interesting. I guess that would explain why when I miss a dose my sleep gets all weird and disrupted again...

But I'm back on track now (thank goodness!). No more missing doses.

;)

Archived