CrazyBoards.org

just a few questions- would love some answers

Hello,

Was just recently diagnosed w/ adhd inattentive type.  Thank Goodness- now maybe I can work towards a more productive/ succesfull future.  My treatment will consit of therapy (i have a great doc~ work on emotional issues, organizational/focus skill building, relaxation techniques and meditation) and meds. Had a few questions about the meds. 

*  How do you find Adderall to work?  what about the XR form?  I am on addral now but find I have to take 30 mg to see any real effect (then repeat, take between 60-90mg a day although my script isn't for this amount as we are still in the begining- getting 2 know what works for you stage) and it dosen't last very long, but for the time it does everything is pretty good- not w/out symptoms but still an incredible difference!  amazing!  Those around me seem to agree, very happily.  It just seems that this is a higher dose than most adhders take?  I don't mind but what the hell?

*  Have been taking generic brand, does that make any difference (other than financially ofcoarse)?

*  Any susgestions for other meds I should consider?

*  I heard that drinking orange juice w/ adhd meds can counter their effects.  Is this true and are there any other substances that should be avoided?  would hate to waste needed medication. 

*  Will drinking alcohol (not excessive amounts) w/ adderall or other adhd meds create a problem, in your experience?

Thank You so much to everyone who responds.  who better to get answers form than those that have been there.  means alot to me.

-joh    ;)

ps- I have really enjoyed reading some of the other topic postings (have u ever? etc).  I could totally relate.  Was nice to know I'm really not alone in this insanity.  Also made me laugh. never found it quite as funny when it was me in that situation.  nice to see myself in a somewhat new light.

As you do, I find the stuff helps with some symptoms, but not with all. On the otehr hand, lately I've felt more motivated. Not sure it that's a healthier living situation, getting in better shape, more sun,  or cumulative effect of the med. I take the generic, 15mg at a time is plenty, and it lasts half the day, like 8 or more hours. Doses vary. I know someone my size who takes 4 times as much as I do, tho possibly that's XR. Haven't felt a need to try the name brand stuff.

If Adderall seems to work well, and you are not depressed, maybe you just have to get it to last.

Seems to me that OJ, cola, and other acidic drinks make the stuff much weaker, and that even half a Tums makes it noticably stronger.

I get away with one drink per day, for two days, then I feel logy. But that was my experience before psych meds as well.

What's really interesting is to go to a support group and see other people with the problem in person. Plus, recently I've had housemates with it.

Hello,

Was just recently diagnosed w/ adhd inattentive type.  Thank Goodness- now maybe I can work towards a more productive/ succesfull future.  My treatment will consit of therapy (i have a great doc~ work on emotional issues, organizational/focus skill building, relaxation techniques and meditation) and meds. Had a few questions about the meds. 

*  How do you find Adderall to work?  what about the XR form?  I am on addral now but find I have to take 30 mg to see any real effect (then repeat, take between 60-90mg a day although my script isn't for this amount as we are still in the begining- getting 2 know what works for you stage) and it dosen't last very long, but for the time it does everything is pretty good- not w/out symptoms but still an incredible difference!  amazing!  Those around me seem to agree, very happily.  It just seems that this is a higher dose than most adhders take?  I don't mind but what the hell?

*  Have been taking generic brand, does that make any difference (other than financially ofcoarse)?

*  Any susgestions for other meds I should consider?

*  I heard that drinking orange juice w/ adhd meds can counter their effects.  Is this true and are there any other substances that should be avoided?  would hate to waste needed medication. 

*  Will drinking alcohol (not excessive amounts) w/ adderall or other adhd meds create a problem, in your experience?

Thank You so much to everyone who responds.  who better to get answers form than those that have been there.  means alot to me.

-joh    ;)

ps- I have really enjoyed reading some of the other topic postings (have u ever? etc).  I could totally relate.  Was nice to know I'm really not alone in this insanity.  Also made me laugh. never found it quite as funny when it was me in that situation.  nice to see myself in a somewhat new light.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My son has been on Ritalin for 7 years, he is now 12. He was always hyperactive, NEVER stopped talking, couldn't concentrate long enough to learn etc etc. He was mis-diagnosed ADHD until 6 months ago and actually has Aspergers. Apparently Ritalin and other stimulants work well with Aspergers also. He is still on the same Ritalin dose which works ok for him. Early last year he was diagnosed with depression and put on paroxetine. He had a fit and we had to call an ambulance! Took him off the paroxetine, no history of fits before or after taking this for 2 weeks. So go figure! We have tried natural medicine to the max but Ritalin LA is the only thing that allows him to concentrate at school. He doesn't take it at home or weekends or holidays. He also has triggers like food additive 102 yellow colouring which sends him bouncing off walls. I don't know if this helps anyone. all the best in your search for balance. be gentle with yourself.

Does your son want to take the med at other times?

I've found Adderall very useful for my social interactions, not just dreary work type stuff.  It's very good for walking more gently on eggshells, making up after an argument, avoiding arguments, etc. Generally, I'm happier with myself and my capabilities when taking it. Helps me a bit with energy to keep things neater and to keep up with things in general. Just more pleasant all around, excepting the odd side effect.

My daughter has ADHD primarily hyperactive and OCD tendancies -  took Effexor, Strattera & Remoron but got the shakes and was regressing bad after 1 year.  We fazed her off of everything except 75 mg Effexor prior to a major re-evaulation after two years in therapy.  Adderall was prescribed but we started it at the same time they were fazing her off of Effexor...you've heard the effexor withdrawal horror stories and they're true for her. 

To get over the hump, after 1 ER visit and 1 hospital stay, she's now on zoloft 25 mg and Adderall 10 mg for the 7th day - I'm amazed at the difference and how well she seems to be doing.  Handled two major disappointments this week without a sign of tantrum/crankiness and hasn't bounced off any walls this week even though restricted to home because of shingles.  Adderall does best in her system with the blandest of food - she takes it with strawberry milk.  Also doesn't want to eat much during the day when it's most effective but will sometimes eat supper twice!  So far maintaining weight and we're looking forward to seeing the results during the next week.

Igloo

FWIW, I am ADD inattentive. Have been all my life (in my 40's) but never treated it until a couple years ago. Strattera is working pretty good for me. Plus it has some nice antidepressant benefits.

• 3 weeks later...

Adderal IR (generic) is a lifesaver but I think I metabolize it way fast. It kicks in about 30 minutes after taking it and everythings great for about 2 hours and then it just goes away. I wish it would last longer I really dont want to up my dose. The XR version didnt do well for me ;)

I'm on 30mg of Adderall XR and it's worked wonders.  No sexual side effects that I've noticed (though I'm also not having sex so....) and it helps me a lot.  Oddly, I find it works better if I don't take it on the weekends.  Don't know why.

Generic Ritalin didn't do a thing for me, so my doc decided I should do only branded Adderall.  It's only $25 for me, so I'm okay with that. 

Archived