CrazyBoards.org

It's summertime.

I'm dripping with sweat as soon as I step out of the door. I'm normally not that vain, but when people constantly ask me if I've been out running it's getting annoying. I suspect Edronax is the thief here. I'll probably go off that soon, for other reasons, but in the meantime is there anything I can do?

I am on reboxetine and it makes me sweat. especially night sweats. it's the most common side effect, according to the psychopharmacologist dude at uni. it gets worse with caffeine and changes in blood pressure like standing up, changes in temperature. i suspect that what's happening is that it's screwing hugely with my autonomic nervous system, which responds in great swoops every time it gets even minutely stimulated. so i have to lay off the tea and coffee, and drink lots of water or isotonic drinks, (mmmm berocca), and only use a light blanket at night so that it's my pyjamas that get soaked, not the bed. if i get all weirded out and sweaty, then i do a valsava (bearing down), and that usually slows down my heart rate and fixes things a bit.

Helena....

Ever since being dx'd bipolar and starting on meds I have sweated like crazy.  I can just be outdoors with friends, not doing anything, and the water just runs off me like crazy.  I see people looking at me, trying to be polite and not ask.  But I sweat so fast I can barely keep it out of my eyes.  Even my underwear is soaked.  I've switched all of my meds at one time or another so I no longer suspect just one.  I have accepted it as a side effect from my meds.  I hate it, but the one thing I'd never do is take another med to try and stop the sweating.  I have enough side effects as it is!  My doc says some people are affected by meds like that.  You are the first besides myself I ever seen/read.  I suppose it could be worse....

I am trying to cure this side effect myself. NRI's like Reboxetine, Strattera & most of the TCA's cause it by agonising Beta-3 NE receptors in brown fat cells. I've started taking a non-selective beta blocker which *should* block this. The one I am trialing is Pindolol which is also alegded to help anxiety.

A note of interest, chemists have been trying to produce a Beta-3 NE agonist as a fat burning pill.

Med Time,

I'm curious about the beta blockers myself, so I hope you'll post how the propranolol is working for you. I have borderline high blood pressure (medication related), essential tremor and can sweat prodigiously in the best of times. From what I've read, propranolol helps with all of these.

Between menopause, medications and the fact that I live in one of the hottest places on earth, I would love to get a little help from the sweating. The topical applications aren't going to do much for me unless I can bathe in them (and I don't know how they affect hair styling).

Interesting about NE and brown fat cells. But I had increased sweating on the SSRIs, too.

Greeny

Interesting about NE and brown fat cells. But I had increased sweating on the SSRIs, too.

It's an adrenaline response. Adrenaline & Norepinephrine are nearly the same thing. Know how you get goose bumbs & your hairs stand up when you are cold? That happens due to a release of adrenaline & that's when brown fat kicks in. There is also white fat, it can't generate heat, it's for energy storage only.

SSRI heat is different. 5-HT2A receptors control body temperature, normally this side effect subsides with time, while NRI heating doesn't. The deadly part of serotonin syndrome is extreme overheating leading to convulsions & death.

Helena!

I am/was taking Reboxetine also. I stopped taking it for a few days under the advice from my doctor to see if the sweating would subside at all. IT DIDN'T  ;)   I am also taking Cymbalta and Provigil with it, but the first time around on Cymbalta I certainly didn't have such bad sweating. I have started wearing a bandana around my hair and forehead in order to atleast make myself more comfortable and now I atleast don't notice the sweating as much as I was before.

I'm just MISERABLE with this sweating.  It runs down my scalp, down the back of my shirt.  I'm a dripping mess all the time.  I'm on Cymbalta and Wellbutrin and they are doing a great job.  I just wish there was something to stop the sweating.

I am on Cymbalta (I also sweated profusely on effexor)...ridulously profuse sweating...Pdoc prescribed an anti-histamine (sorry, begins with a C.. can't remember now) that one study said was the only thing they found that prevented or stopped the anti-depressant sweats... but it not only didn't work, it had a side effect of making one even med-fatter (it is sometimes used to get anorectics to eat).

Grrrr.

I hate the sweating side effect of a lot of these meds!  I have been through it bad... and am going through it now, but just not as much...

What I might be able to suggest is,first off, wear your hair up (i know that that makes me feel better).  You can also try finding yourself a matte powder compact for your face... i carry it around and whenever i startfeeling uncomfortable, i powder where i think perspiration is shining through.  Also, find yourself a good deoderant... whatever you think will be enough for you.  Arrid extra extra dry is pretty good.... good luck!

~Ophelia

[it's an adrenaline response.

Can a person get the adrenaline response if they aren't taking any SSRIs or non-SSRIs? What sort of problems would cause a person to make adrenaline constantly?

I have given up on doing my hair because of this head sweating problem. I tried the hormone patch and I nearly had a stroke or heart attack from it.

I sweat profusely, too. It was mild when I was just taking Cymbalta... it got worse when I added Wellbutrin. I've lowered the doses of both meds recently (30 mg Cymbalta and 150 mg of Wellbutrin) and it seems to have gotten a little better. I, too, was always on the cold side. Now I sweat with the littlest of effort and often get night sweats. I don't find it particularly bothersome, however. It's nice to actually wear summer clothes to the office without freezing to death!

Both lexapro and wellbutrin make me sweat and I have always sweated heavily even without them, but now ... SHEESH!  I am a newlywed still (one year next month) and it drives me nuts when my wife says, "OOoooh, you're clammy!" :)

Tommy

Powder! Tons of powder!  The medicated kind!  Yeah, it helps...

for about 5 minutes  ;)

Can a person get the adrenaline response if they aren't taking any SSRIs or non-SSRIs?

Yes. An occasional surge of adrenaline can come from fear, stress or cold, that's normal. For me, memories of certain things can send a 'chill up my spine' and make my hairs stand on end.

What sort of problems would cause a person to make adrenaline constantly?

Things like PTSD & Panic Disorder.

Yes. An occasional surge of adrenaline can come from fear, stress or cold, that's normal. For me, memories of certain things can send a 'chill up my spine' and make my hairs stand on end.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, eat my hat!! I just had to come home from Wal-Mart because my head and hair got so drenched that I looked like some kind of scary scumbag. What the hell could have happened to me there? I didn't get panicky. I don't currently have PTSD. I went through surgical menopause 12 years ago and have been off hormones for two years except for one brief try last month.

I am really, really upset that this is getting so bad for me. Could it be cardiac? Because I have high risk factors. Although I do not have a blocked artery at this time.

I looked at other women my age in the store and none of them had this going on. Is it my lithium? It seems like I've had it longer than I've been on lithium. This is driving me crazy.

Mellow Yellow,

I share your despair, believe me!  The other day I was at the grocery store checkout and I was DRIPPING on the counter.  Ugh, how embarrassing.  I hate this.  And it seems that every drug I try just makes it worse.  The only good thing is that it seems to be limited to a few hours each day; instead of all day long.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up an rx for cyproheptadine.  My doc says there have been a few articles about this stopping the sweating.  I'll let you know if it helps at all.

I'm just so glad to have this forum.  Up until I found this site, I thought the sweating was just me.  I didn't put it together with the meds I'm on.

Take care,

Wyldrosie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, eat my hat!! I just had to come home from Wal-Mart because my head and hair got so drenched that I looked like some kind of scary scumbag. What the hell could have happened to me there? I didn't get panicky. I don't currently have PTSD. I went through surgical menopause 12 years ago and have been off hormones for two years except for one brief try last month.

I am really, really upset that this is getting so bad for me. Could it be cardiac? Because I have high risk factors. Although I do not have a blocked artery at this time.

I looked at other women my age in the store and none of them had this going on. Is it my lithium? It seems like I've had it longer than I've been on lithium. This is driving me crazy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not a cardiac problem, it's drug induced. Drugs like Wellbutrin & Cymbalta are NRI's.

NRI = Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor, what NRI's do is increase the levels of Epinephrine, Norepinephrine & Adrenaline in your body.

The 'good' effects of NRI's are that they liven you up & alert you. The bad effects are increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, increase glucose levels & increased body heating by brown fat cell activation. With time some of the side effects go away, ie, your heart rate & blood pressure return to normal, but the heating doesn't go away.

Something you can try is to add a non-selective beta blocker such as Propranolol or Pindolol. These block receptors on your brown fat cells which *should* turn them off. I recently started taking Pindolol for this reason because I had to quit taking Amitriptyline because it kept overheating me & giving me heat exhaustion. It's going to take a while before I know if this actually works, because I am trying a different TCA.

Archived