CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Caillech

Best Med for Social Anxiety

I have started a CNA class and am finding that I am having social anxiety quite badly. And it once again is becoming obsessive.

I cant quit the class. I have to at least finish and then work for at least three months after.

The only problem is that this anxiety might interfere with the completion of that goal.

I guess I could take benzos, but I dont like to drive on it and I would need to ask my doc for a higher dose. I am not sure how to go about doing that. I dont want him to think I am just looking for benzo's for the high. I dont particulary like the feeling from the benzo, but if it will help with the anxiety, i'll deal.

Do you think caffeine makes it any worse?

I might be seeing pdoc as soon as tomorrow, so all replies are greatly appriciated.

TIA,

Selene

I'm on Seroquel and Neurontin, which are both said to help with social anxiety, but I'm still hiding under the bed from people, but I have weird reactions to meds anyway, so it might be worth discussing with the doc.

I hope that something works for you

Blessings

Hi Panz,

Thanks for the reply.

Seroquel was killer at knocking out my mixed states but I found myself anxious and depressed the next day. Besides that I have a blood sugar level of 100 already so pdoc took me off the S to help lower my blood sugar.

I dont know what to do. I really thought I was better, but obviously the problems that I was having with relating to other people and feeling accepted (which is really important to me, I was ignored and invalidated as a child) are still there.

But I want to try everything I can so I will talk to pdoc about the seroquel.

Thanks again,

Selene

Can you tolerate SSRIs?

If so, Paxil has a very good rep for treating Social Anxiety, as do all the meds within this group. I have heard that prozac is well tolerated where some of the others arent.

Maybe a conversation to have with your dr?

Selene

I did a bit of Googling and found a few semi useful site that might help. I do agree that Paxil will help and has a good track record

first article

2nd

3rd

4th

Hope this helps

=)

Edited by Panz

i'm in the paxil camp. it knocked the s-it out of my anxieties (all of them). i'm not on it anymore because it flipped me into hypomania, but it is a kick-butt med. i'd try it out.

TIA,

Selene

I've wondered alot about the caffeine. I tried to give it up for a few days, but I'm such a depressive sluggish person half the time I felt I needed it. I thought that it might help with social anxiety but then if I didn't have it, I wouldn't get to out to be social. However, I've been reading this book about Bipolar and in all its emergency plans for moods is to stop the caffeine.

Oreo

I have no problem with having a couple of cups of coffee every morning. I'm hooked on caffeine or I have headaches. I don't drink it later in the day though or it probably would cause anxiety or problems sleeping for me.

Paxil is a good med for this, but it takes a while to be effective. Maybe some more klonopin? Is it an all day class where you could take it right when you get there and safely be able to drive home?

I've found that I can go either way with meds to help my social anxiety. Taking stims like Ritalin or Adderall seem to push past my anxiety and make me chatty, while downers like the benzos dissolve the anxiety itself. I tend to think stims are more effective because even without anxiety I have a hell of a time talking to people. Stim addiction is a possibility if you go that way however. One med that seems very hit or miss is Gabapentin. For me it worked like a charm. Too well in fact as I started taking large doses just to feel good. However, even on low doses it was good at getting rid of anxiety, and at the same time making me a little more social. Some people get absolutely nothing from this med though, but I always say it's worth a try. I've read on other anxiety forums that people have pretty good luck with MAOIs so that may be an option as well. Doctors seem to be reticent in prescribing them though due to dietary restrictions. From what I've read the risks of MAOIs are overstated, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by Broshious

Guest Guest_Tammy55_*

I have tried Paxil but liked the Lexapro much better and it worked better for anexiety. Keep the PRN handy like Clonapine or something like that. The Lex really leveled me out, but too much makes you into a department store dummy.

Dr told me that for primary anexiety ( if anexiety is your major gripe) thenPaxil and Lexapro are the way to go and stay away from Wellbutrin and Prozac.

Talk to your dr and stay in the class - it will go fast and you will be glad you completed it and the test is not as hard as you think it will be.

Tam

Just an update.

I saw my pdoc and asked for Paxil but he wouldnt prescribe it because it has a nasty discontinuation syndrome. Or so he said. He put me on 50 mg of zoloft.

I guess its working cause I dont feel so anxious. But I noticed that depression is slowly creeping back and im really agitated.

Have an apointment on the 11th.

He said any mood disturbances and would take me off it.

Guess ill see.

Just an update.

I saw my pdoc and asked for Paxil but he wouldnt prescribe it because it has a nasty discontinuation syndrome. Or so he said. He put me on 50 mg of zoloft.

I guess its working cause I dont feel so anxious. But I noticed that depression is slowly creeping back and im really agitated.

Have an apointment on the 11th.

He said any mood disturbances and would take me off it.

Guess ill see.

He was right. Paxil does have a nasty "discontinuation syndrome" (what a nice euphemism for withdrawal). I CT'd off of 60(40?)mg of Paxil. By around day 5 I was shaking uncontrollably.

Guest mennah

I have started a CNA class and am finding that I am having social anxiety quite badly. And it once again is becoming obsessive.

I cant quit the class. I have to at least finish and then work for at least three months after.

The only problem is that this anxiety might interfere with the completion of that goal.

I guess I could take benzos, but I dont like to drive on it and I would need to ask my doc for a higher dose. I am not sure how to go about doing that. I dont want him to think I am just looking for benzo's for the high. I dont particulary like the feeling from the benzo, but if it will help with the anxiety, i'll deal.

I might be seeing pdoc as soon as tomorrow, so all replies are greatly appriciated.

TIA,

Selene

I'm with the others regarding Paxil for Social Anxiety. However depending on your medication needs, the Paxil Cr might be better than the regular Paxil. Plus both forms now come in generic form.

Good Luck! ;)