CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Morgana

Dermatillomania

Guest Guest

wow. for 32 years i thought i was alone. it sounds so messed up to hear unless your doing it. why can`t i stop...

Guest Emily

Damn - we're quite the club! ;) I have been seriously thinking about seeing a doctor about all of this. I need to get my hair done and my scalp looks bad. Last time, I told the stylist that I had an allergic reaction to Pantine :) I doubt that will fly again. I have been taking Celexa for severe PMS and it seems to make the picking, etc. worse. Anyone have experience with that? Also, a couple of years ago, I went through a bout of cutting. Now I have obvious scars on my arms. Does anyone know of something that effectively covers those up? I live in Phoenix where long sleeves are too hot and I am self concious of people staring at my arms.

I had not bitten/chewed the insides of my mouth in years (since I was a kid and I'm 35), and suddenly started doing so when I got put on Celexa. So, you are not alone on that. I have an appointment next week to get switched back to my Lexapro. It worked just fine, but Celexa was cheaper. Not worth the $10 per month to have the inside of my mouth look like raw hamburger. Yikes!

For the coverup, there is a fantastic product called dermablend that is like a heavy foundation-type product. It is wonderful for covering scars. Lots of dermatologists offices sell it, and I'm sure it's available online.

Guest gus

i know its gross that i eat my head scabs, dandruff, buggers, blackheads, pimple cheese, dried foot skin, and the roots of my pubic hair, but it's fun! my girlfriend is very grossed out by me; just now i was eating blackheads so she googled "gross eating blackheads disorder" and that leed us here. wow! well, i totally understand you guys. i wrote a poem:

its so satisfying

to pick shit off of your body

and munch away!

its a free food source

that makes my day!

scabs are coarse

but don't taste bloody

demophagia is my buddy.

ya'll take care now and i say do whatever makes ya happy!

peace.

Oh my godddd you have no IDEA! :) I pop my pimples...mostly blackheads..and just munch away. I love the big old hard ones, the huge puss-y zits, small ones, dandruff, scabs, ALL OF IT. I don't know where i got the idea to pop one of them into my mouth in the first place!

it's so annoying. i feel like a freak. picking and popping is SOOOOO calming and seems to release all my stress. but i hate myself after doing it and feel so gross because my face looks like a bumpy wad of cheese.

I just came from my bathroom feeling terrible after another one of my huge popping and eating episodes and decided to look it up. I usually do it when i feel stressed or upset or anxious. I have a huge paper due and went right to the mirror. i try to leave notes on my mirror reminding myself not to do it and sometimes i can contain myself for a couple days.

but my fingers just act on their own. they pick dandruff, scabs, dry/dead skin, blackheads from ANY place on my body(they show up anywhere and everywhere from my face, head, back, stomach, chest, neck, pubic area, legs, and even random places like ankles and wrists.)

AND IT ALL GOES INTO MY MOUTH. :)

i feel like the whole process of eating it is calming too because any time im stressed i like to nibble and chew. ;) i nibble the sides of my mouth and cuticles. i also snack alot. i never knew why i did this.

is it really OCD? i wish there was a way i could stop it so my skin could get a chance to recover and restore itself.

I'm so happy i found this forum because i always thougt it was just me. only one person in my life ever noticed i did it but i never stopped me. what can i do? i dont wanna get married and have my husband find out about my weird obsesssion! and i want my skin to clear up!!!!

Guest SalGal

I eat skin too! Usually because I pick at my lip. I like the texture between my teeth.

Or, when I pick things off of my scalp, I actually line up the things or pile them, but don't eat them.

This is interesting because I peel things off my scalp too. I don't line them up or eat them, but I always place them down to where I can see them. If I see a large piece, I like to tear it apart with my fingernails or tweezers. I have even used tweezers to pull my scalp apart. I'm not sure why I do this, but it hurts so badly that it feels good. Luckily, I have thick hair, so no one knows how badly I have this disorder.

The only things I will put in my mouth from my body are my cuticles though. I will also pull those apart with tweezers, especially cuticles from my toes. I'll also pick on my heels when they are dry, but I try not to do that because I have a job where I stand pretty much all day.

I do a lot of other weird things to.... I'm very OCD. I'll count the amount of bites during each meal, especially around other people. I don't want others thinking I eat very much, but then when I get home, I might go through a binge and purge session. I will starve myself for months at a time, then one day, I'll eat almost everything in the house and purge it all. This happens, like I said, once every few months. I also have to do some kind of exercise per day, even if it is right before bedtime. Once I get in bed, I start picking at my scalp again.... grrrr...

I really want to stop all of these behaviors... but I don't know how. I'm a 31 professional with no family but a dog and a roommate. Oh, I also have BDD (Body Dismorphic Disorder), so I have a hard time going to social events sometimes. Other people have to literally beg me to go with them.

So, I've confessed a lot .... I'm outy....

Guest cannibal

I pick the skin off my fingers I do this so bad that I feel like I'm walking around with bloody stumps. I also like to suck the blood, sometimes I think I may be doing it to get to the blood although I hate the pain. The skin tastes delicious and feels so satisfying between my teeth. Sometimes I feel like the skin on my fingers is too tight and sometimes it feels like its crawling it feels like I NEED to pick it. I feel like such a freak!!! I try to stop and I'll be doing really good then I notice how unobvious they look then they start crawling like and I ruin them. It's so annoying why can't I stop? ;)

Guest fingereater

I eat the skin on my fingers around my fingernails. But what I do, is I use a nail-clipper to make nice, precise, surgical cuts of skin, and then I eat them. If you do this, you should try the nail-clipper approach. It allows you to be more careful and not end up ripping off huge pieces accidentally. That cuts down on the pain and the blood and the gross-looking results. Much more stealth ;) Just don't go too crazy with it, because you really can do more damage if you let yourself get out of control.

What I always put down to be a simple bad habit, picking at the skin on my lips and sometimes around my nails, and finding ovbious tracts of dead skin on feet and LOVING peeling burnt skin... so satisfying... Now. I wonder if it had always been a sign of my not dealing with stuff. I do tend to eat skin from my lips and maybe around the nails, but not scabs or "crunchy" stuff...

My daughter (11 y/o) went to see her GP last week for picking at her fingers. The skin was getting really damaged, and he was concerned as to why she felt the need to do it. She told him she doesn't know when she starts that she's doing it, but when she becomes aware she carried on anyway, knowing it's damaging her skin but it made her feel better, she felt it was comforting.

I am concerned, obviously, about her own mental state. Does dermatillomania progress to SI often? As in, intentionally causing pain to feel better?

Should I be worried?

In times of stress I make scabs or sores on myself, not cutting.

I hate pain, so don't know why on earth I do this.

Sometimes I have been known to eat them.

I always look at what I pick. I have been known to chew on scabs.

I am gross, as I get a lot of satisfaction from pulling out an awkward to reach, but troublesome big scab, or lump of earwax, or eye bogie.

We all have our quirks.

Out of manners, if I am with someone who is easily grossed out, I try to avoid this, but the trouble is, I don't know I am doing it half the time.

I have two big scabs the size of a 50p peice on either side of my face, and a smaller one beside my nose.

I bought antiseptic cream for them today.

I pull my hairs out I enjoy poking myself with them. Razors leave them pretty sharp so you can give yourself a nice prick. Never eaten though.

I pick a lot of different stuff on my body but there are very few that I eat. I guess I just can't bring myself to admit it all to anyone, not even here, but I can say that I pick my scalp, like others have said, when I lay down to go to sleep. Taking Ambien before bed has helped a lot since I'm not laying there for as long before I get to sleep, so maybe that will help others as well.

Guest Guest

So, I've read this entire site now and there is no way that I can't share my own experience now that I see you guys were bold enough to share yours. I pick and eat everything. Oh God, I can't believe I'm telling you guys this.... NO ONE KNOWS!!!! This is pretty extensive so ok, I'm just going to put it out there... maybe it will help me feel better about all this.

First it started with nail clippers, clipping off pieces of the soles of my feet.

I eat my buggers, my cuticles, the puss from my zits, the scabs from mutilating my zits....

I've picked at my skin for a LONG time with tweezers and have all kinds of scars on my chest and back.

I compulsively pick my face, and I'm not sure if people notice that what I pick off, I eat.

I've eaten my fingernails and toenails since I can remember, but I'm better about that now.

I eat my earwax and have performed numerous "surgeries" on myself (such as removing a pimple, wart, or freckle)...

Any kind of scab, I pick it and eat it.... I don't mind the pain, usually things end up bleeding and probably, as guessed, I used to be a cutter.

I can't believe I even had the nerve to type this.

Can anyone help me? I'm afraid someone will find out and not understand. I know it's gross to some people, but that is only because this topic is socially taboo.

So, I've read this entire site now and there is no way that I can't share my own experience now that I see you guys were bold enough to share yours. I pick and eat everything. Oh God, I can't believe I'm telling you guys this.... NO ONE KNOWS!!!! This is pretty extensive so ok, I'm just going to put it out there... maybe it will help me feel better about all this.

First it started with nail clippers, clipping off pieces of the soles of my feet.

I eat my buggers, my cuticles, the puss from my zits, the scabs from mutilating my zits....

I've picked at my skin for a LONG time with tweezers and have all kinds of scars on my chest and back.

I compulsively pick my face, and I'm not sure if people notice that what I pick off, I eat.

I've eaten my fingernails and toenails since I can remember, but I'm better about that now.

I eat my earwax and have performed numerous "surgeries" on myself (such as removing a pimple, wart, or freckle)...

Any kind of scab, I pick it and eat it.... I don't mind the pain, usually things end up bleeding and probably, as guessed, I used to be a cutter.

I can't believe I even had the nerve to type this.

Can anyone help me? I'm afraid someone will find out and not understand. I know it's gross to some people, but that is only because this topic is socially taboo.

This is me--Crazybutcute. Adding this so that I can be notified of replies now that I added myself.

Guest Guest

i wish there were people in my area i could hang with and give a call to when i feel the urges...

its effecting my relationship very much so.... i keep thinking he doesnt see me as sexy, cant wear bathing suits tank tops tshirt skirts shorts its pretty bad... and so he has a bad problem with checking out other chicks and im sure i wouldnt mind it as much as i do now, if i didnt think he was looking at those other girls because he cant see me naked and see nice skin if he catches glances at my naked skin

my hole body is one great big scar and i would love to stop...

i just want to be pretty... i always tell myself i love my body i think its damn sexy, if i had new skin.....

there has not been one hour where i have not picked at my skin since i was well maybe 5 or 6....

in all honesty...

ive bought dresses and bikinis telling myself ill be in that this year....

but i never do...

WHY US????

any helps on stop picking... and most importanlty... and medications that can get rid of scarring very fast... i would love to sit in a bathing suit at least mid to end summer ;):)

Stopping picking is easy by physical means, like wearing gloves, occupying your hands elsewhere (sit on them if you have to/knit/playing with hair?)

Short term.

But it will keep coming back if it's a comfort thing, stress thing, punishment thing. Unless you deal with those issues...

A tdoc/pdoc could probaably take a good history and go from there, but main prehibitory thing for you should be that YOU are unhappy about it, not for anyone else.

Total honesty with your doc is the way to go. All the best!

Guest Guest

do you guys enjoy doing this? i mean like really like doing it to a point where you dont want to stop...

it seems like everyone is getting a big laugh about this whole things. i really want the help i know that. but reading posts like

"do what makes you happy"

"you should use nail clippers"

thats not helping at all... im just wondering... :);)

Guest Guest_melissa_*

I have this problem. Both the picking and the eating.

I enjoy it and sometimes I crave it, but I want to stop at the same time. I *know* my fiance must notice it, but he only usuaully ever says anything(or grabs my hands) when I'm picking at my scalp, which is the worst part. I've had some kind of scab on my scalp for over two years. I have bald spots. I have weird spots where my hair is regrowing. In the process, I tend to pull out hair. My hair is so thin and my scalp so gross.

Even though I enjoy it and get some kind of sick pleasure out of it, I want to stop. Does anyone have any success stories with stopping? Any useful treatments? I've tried the rubberband on the wrist trick and it only works for so long until I just don't care and rip the damn thing off.

I pick at everything everywhere. I will pick at my feet and be almost unable to walk some days from the pain. It's doubly stupid because I'm a diabetic but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to stop. I mean, I can stop for a while, but I always end up going back to it.