CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Morgana

Dermatillomania

Guest annonymousCPS

I pick my arms and sometimes my face too. I don't eat the skin, but I do chew it and usually blow it across the room with my mouth to "get it away from me". I have horrible scars and I feel so insecure about my arms and it really affects my self esteem. I want to stop. I can't. =(

ok guys, i do this too, i have never let anyone know, not even my boyfriend. we've been together for four years, and he has no idea, i mean he knows i pick, and he tries to stop me, but he has no idea i eat it. and i do, i eat it all.

the worst time for me is when i am driving. i am always consciously aware of other drivers though, so nobody knows what i am doing. especially when i am picking my nose.

lately though i have had this overwhelming fear that i am going to hit a deer or something and my finger will be up my nose and my secret will be out!

or that when i get old, i'm going to have dementia or something and just be sitting around in front of everybody picking at myself and eating it. this really scares me.

i want to break the habit but i don't know how. i have no idea why i do it, i just can't seem to stop, most of the time i'm not even aware i'm doing it.

thank you all for posting about this. i would have never thought to talk to someone or even that it could be my ocd...wow. when ya'll figure out a solution let me know. thanks.

I've ruined my face for the time being doing this. It seems to be my favorite spot to fucking pick at. The other places that no one can see are forgotten by me, except my back.

I have many noticeable scabs on my face, and my SO is getting pissed at me. I spend a lot of time in the shower doing this and most times I pass a mirror I could spend fifteen minutes on it and then I'll randomly catch myself doing it without noticing for a long time.

I hate how time consuming it is for me and how embarassed I am to have my uncovered face seen by anyone because it's so obvious I have this disgusting habit. I tried not to all day yesterday and did okay, anyway, no long sessions in the shower or infront of the mirror, but there's little I can do about the times my hands find something to pick at of their own accord, seemingly without me ordering them to do so. So, yeah, that sucks.

I fuck with a lot of shit on my body. I have facial piercings that I'm always fucking with, lots of earrings, I'll rip the split ends off the bottom of pieces of hair a lot. I leave my nails alone but only because I cannot stand the feeling of something touching them or them touching each other. It's weird. Chapped lips are a gold mine. Probably pick my nose ten or more times a day, this is not including the times I am just fucking with my nose rings and it LOOKS like I am picking my nose but I'm not.

I feel like a damn monkey. I haven't eaten anything I've picked off though. Hopefully I won't after reading about it.

Sometimes it's worse than others, but there's always at least SOMETHING on my face. Sometimes I go hog wild for a little while and now is one of those times. YAY! More crater like scars for my face.

I've done this shit for as long as I can remember.

I've ruined my face for the time being doing this. It seems to be my favorite spot to fucking pick at. The other places that no one can see are forgotten by me, except my back.

I have many noticeable scabs on my face, and my SO is getting pissed at me. I spend a lot of time in the shower doing this and most times I pass a mirror I could spend fifteen minutes on it and then I'll randomly catch myself doing it without noticing for a long time.

I hate how time consuming it is for me and how embarassed I am to have my uncovered face seen by anyone because it's so obvious I have this disgusting habit. I tried not to all day yesterday and did okay, anyway, no long sessions in the shower or infront of the mirror, but there's little I can do about the times my hands find something to pick at of their own accord, seemingly without me ordering them to do so. So, yeah, that sucks.

I fuck with a lot of shit on my body. I have facial piercings that I'm always fucking with, lots of earrings, I'll rip the split ends off the bottom of pieces of hair a lot. I leave my nails alone but only because I cannot stand the feeling of something touching them or them touching each other. It's weird. Chapped lips are a gold mine. Probably pick my nose ten or more times a day, this is not including the times I am just fucking with my nose rings and it LOOKS like I am picking my nose but I'm not.

I feel like a damn monkey. I haven't eaten anything I've picked off though. Hopefully I won't after reading about it.

Sometimes it's worse than others, but there's always at least SOMETHING on my face. Sometimes I go hog wild for a little while and now is one of those times. YAY! More crater like scars for my face.

I've done this shit for as long as I can remember.

Emperor: I've permanently messed up my face doing this. I have a hole in my nose-- or a big depression-- that is so bad it changed the shape of one nostril. And lots of other scars.

I have OCD but I also have some version of Body Dysmorphic Disorder. It's related to OCD, I've been told. What you are describing reminds me of my BDD symptoms... spending time looking in the mirror, picking out all my faults, and being convinced I can fix them by picking. I don't pick anymore but I still have issues with the mirror. I tend to avoid looking at myself altogether. Because if I look, I can get stuck, and obsessive.

Guest shari1677

I pick at everything everywhere. I will pick at my feet and be almost unable to walk some days from the pain. It's doubly stupid because I'm a diabetic but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to stop. I mean, I can stop for a while, but I always end up going back to it.

Guest shari1677

I'm 42 and have been depressed since AT LEAST the age of 7, including psychosis, neurosis, anxiety and phobias. The past few months, I have started picking. I also picked my lips when they were chapped to an extent, but this has gotten out of control. My new obsession is PICKING MY FEET. I have picked the skin off half of each foot, the same spots over and over and over again, until they are very painful. I have ointment, which I put on AFTER I pick, but I cant seem to actually stop the picking. It is extremely frustrating and I unconsciously do it even when my kids and neices are around. My 10 YO neice showed me that she picked the skin off her feet the other day and I was so ashamed. What do I do - counseling, family physician???? WHAT???

My therapist is trying to get me to replace the habit with something else.

The other night, I took a pair of scissors to a callous on my foot.

I'm not very good at replacing habits.

Anyway, it should work, though, trying to find something else to do. I just tear up little things, like grass or leaves or carrot slices, anything really I can get my hands on. It DOES keep me from picking at that moment, but sometimes I do it without noticing or, like when I'm in the shower, there really isn't anything availabe to tear apart, so I pick then.

It's a disgusting, frustrating mess sometimes.

Good luck.

used to chew finger nails to the quick. by always having a clipper and a file handy i beat that compulsion. the odd booger still goes down the hatch 'cause where else am i going to put them as i carry no snot rag. it's good somehow to see all moonbats letting it all hang out.

Wow! I'm actually excited to see this post with so many replies that I can have a chuckle at, because they remind me of myself. I've been picking my scalp for the last 10 years. My scalp never scabs for some reason so I only eat the skin. My husband deals with it, but tells me to stop if I start to bleed or there is pus. I can only use my left arm. It gets so tired and stiff sometimes. I hate wearing black.

Wow! I'm actually excited to see this post with so many replies that I can have a chuckle at, because they remind me of myself. I've been picking my scalp for the last 10 years. My scalp never scabs for some reason so I only eat the skin. My husband deals with it, but tells me to stop if I start to bleed or there is pus. I can only use my left arm. It gets so tired and stiff sometimes. I hate wearing black.

When I had head lice when I was a little girl I did this. I think it was bites from the bugs that started it. I picked at one scab, and eventually, all you could see when looking at my the part in my hair was a scabby, bloody mess, my parents got pissed about that. So off and on I've been terrible with this. Sometimes it isn't so bad, other times it can consume me. Now I'm doing better about it than when I last posted in this thread. I still pick, but not so much.

The scalp thing just reminded me of that. My SO gets really pissed at me when I pick, he doesn't get it at all.

I've never made a post in this OCD forum but this thread rang true. I too am a member of the skin picking and eating club. cuticles. scabs. callouses. i pick at my cuticles incessantly. i have since i was a very small child. never chewed my nails, but i do chew them. i pick them till they bleed. and eat the skin. i chew them and eat the skin... i pick at scabs and eat them too.. i pick at anydead bit of skin i can find and more often than not will put it in my mouth. each and every one of my fingers is a wreck because of it. but i still continue on. even minor wolds leave scars because i pick them. but still i do it. my friends will comment when the see me doing it. and i'll stop for a bit. it's a nervous habit. i try not to let anyone see me actually eating the bits that come off my person because i'm afraid they'll think it's really gross. because i think its really gross. i pick at my face as well but not as much as my hands. or my scabs. because i try to put on a "pretty" face for the world and that would defeat the purpose. it's good to know that there are a fair number of others on here that do similar things.

I've always chewed on the inside of my mouth and ate it. And as far back as I can remember I scratch my head all the time. I go right to my scalp when I have idle hands. I look forward to bed time so I can read and pick at the same time. I don't eat it, but there's sure a crapload of scabs/flakes on my side of the bed. And I also pick scabs til they're all gone.

Wow, I love that this thread is here. I had to do a paper for college on a disorder, so I chose one I had...this one! I think it started when I got over pulling my hair out as a kid (trichotillimania?) and progressed to skin picking and chewing (and eating). My cuticles look like they were put through a meat grinder. I am basically missing a toenail on one foot because I ran it over with a chair wheel two years ago and it is SO SATISFYING to pick now that the nailbed is all messed up. I have to let it go a few weeks here and there or else it's a bloody mess, so I do and think "Maybe this time I'll leave it alone totally so I can paint my toenails" but then it hits a certain stage and I just can't resist. Most of the time, with my cuticles, I don't even realize I am doing it (I read this whole thread and didn't chew once, but it was an effort). I swear, if I could get my feet up there, I would chew the cuticles around my toes. My fingernails grow all sideways now from all the years of picking and chewing.

Confession is good. I'm new, but I'm really digging the crazyboards.

Edited by MadMonk

Guest AmberWaves

I'm always doing one of 3 things. I'm either chewing my cheeks, bitting/picking the skin off my thumbs or doing the same to my feet and eating the skin. I haven't the guts to tell my doctor about the eating part... I feel really embarassed. She put me on antianxiety pills but there has been NO improvement at all. My feet are so bad that they bleed when I walk. I want this to stop but don't know how to.

omg! finally i know i'm not the only one! i have always chewed on the inside of my cheeks and ate it. what else would you do with it? lol i'm also a scab picker, head scratcher, nose picker, cuticle chewin... ugh to list it like that. oh well it's me.

yeah, i responded to the other thread too... but i had to say... i understand the rational of not eating the BIG ones... blech! i guess that means the little ones are tastier. lol i couldn't resist.

Guest picky nicky

i used to pick and bite my toenails and eat them together with any loose skin around my toes. Now I cant get my toes to my mouth so i just pick an chew

is that nasty???

xxx

Oh man, I do this.

I started biting my nails in kindergarten because I wanted to try it out. I read a kid's book where a character develops a nail-biting habit so I tried it and I was biting for years. Eventually it just progressed to also nibbling on the skin around my nails.

I was able to successfully stop biting my nails for several months but I still picked at the skin around 'em, and now I'm back to nail biting and skin picking/eating again.

I've tried picking the skin on my heels but it's not as satisfying.

I also pick at zits :/ But I don't eat that.

Guest AmberWaves

I call myself a "peeler". I'm always peeling away at my thumbs, feet or chewing the inside of my cheeks. I do chew on the skin I peel off... If I peel skin off and don't chew on it, I will continue to feel anxious. I dont quite understand the gooey scab thing. That makes me feel a bit ill thinking about it but I def understand the skin chewing. I'm too embarassed to tell my therapist about the chewing part and it seems that she doesnt understand dermatillomania anyway - she thinks that it's caused by something else and doesnt really recognize dermatillomania as something real. I don't think I'm a picker... atleast not what I've seen on tv as a picker... I don't pick because I imagine a flaw or am trying to get the flaw out of my skin. I dont pick at my face or arms or legs. For me it's almost like a texture thing. If feel skin sticking up a bit I will peel it off until it feels right.

This is not fun for me. I don't think it's funny or enjoy it being "my little secret". My feet bleed and hurt all the time and it's embarassing. More recently I've noticed that my impules control is getting worse. I now have really odd cravings for chemical smelling things.

Just wanted to let all those on this thread know I have a thread under the health care system regarding this and how some of us are being treated by the medical profession. I welcome all comments as I'd really like to know how your docs are reacting to your picking, etc. I don't mean psych docs, I mean other docs you have to see, like the dermatologist, Ear nose throat doc, those kind of docs.

thanks stars

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/37914-we-pick-our-noses-and-insert-objects-into-our-ears/

Edited by Stars